Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel Pump?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fuel Pump?

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:36 am

jagi00 wrote:Update on my post above. Both the boss and I agree the sound appears to be coming from the right rear somewhere when listening inside the cabin. Couldn't hear it outside so opened the petrol filler cap and stuck my ear against it - nothing! Same story with the boot opened. I'm now wondering since it seems to be associated with a cold start, if the sound is actually coming from under the bonnet and just cabin acoustics making it appear coming from the right rear quarter. Any thoughts anyone?
You may have my problem which is a whine when cold which appears to emminate from the engines passenger side and slowly subsides as the car warms up and then 99.9% disappears when upto operating temperature. I've noticed the whine is worse in colder air temperatures and less so on a hot day when the engine is cold. Its definitely not the fuel pump as its coming from the engine bay. Mines done this since new and it went in twice, first visit the dealer changed the waistgate solenoid valve which didn't cure it, second time they said it was normal when compared to another 2.0l which did have a whine but less marked so I'm just living with it. Mine is quite loud at times and really just sounds rubbish until its warmed up, not helped with the exhaust resonance on initial start up and rattling engine which is apparently normal :cry:

I've done a fair bit of searching on the internet regarding N20 engine whine and its mentioned in various road tests attributed to the turbo spooling up however there are also reports with 328i X owners having this problem I'm experiencing to be told by dealers its normal and some X3 owners who have had the problem solved with a new turbo. Personally my take on it is the turbo bearings being out of tolerence when cold.

There is also another known noise either electrical/hum/whine which comes through the air vents when on the throttle and disappears when you take your foot off so it could be this as well, all Z4s seem to suffer this.

Tim.

It's a fair cop...

Post by It's a fair cop... » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:41 pm

My 13 plated i18 has a clockwork whirr when cold from the rear (think lollipop stick in the back wheel of your Raleigh chopper) that could actually be a lollipop stick...
...but society is to blame, guv
z4 18i m sport, auto, mineral white, black kansas, 19" style 326, hawaiian tropic in the glovebox
evoque 2.2 sd4 dynamic, manual, firenze red, ebony, 19" style 5, pano roof, wurthers originals in the glovebox

jagi00

Post by jagi00 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 am

TitanTim wrote:
jagi00 wrote:Update on my post above. Both the boss and I agree the sound appears to be coming from the right rear somewhere when listening inside the cabin. Couldn't hear it outside so opened the petrol filler cap and stuck my ear against it - nothing! Same story with the boot opened. I'm now wondering since it seems to be associated with a cold start, if the sound is actually coming from under the bonnet and just cabin acoustics making it appear coming from the right rear quarter. Any thoughts anyone?
You may have my problem which is a whine when cold which appears to emminate from the engines passenger side and slowly subsides as the car warms up and then 99.9% disappears when upto operating temperature. I've noticed the whine is worse in colder air temperatures and less so on a hot day when the engine is cold. Its definitely not the fuel pump as its coming from the engine bay. Mines done this since new and it went in twice, first visit the dealer changed the waistgate solenoid valve which didn't cure it, second time they said it was normal when compared to another 2.0l which did have a whine but less marked so I'm just living with it. Mine is quite loud at times and really just sounds rubbish until its warmed up, not helped with the exhaust resonance on initial start up and rattling engine which is apparently normal :cry:

I've done a fair bit of searching on the internet regarding N20 engine whine and its mentioned in various road tests attributed to the turbo spooling up however there are also reports with 328i X owners having this problem I'm experiencing to be told by dealers its normal and some X3 owners who have had the problem solved with a new turbo. Personally my take on it is the turbo bearings being out of tolerence when cold.

There is also another known noise either electrical/hum/whine which comes through the air vents when on the throttle and disappears when you take your foot off so it could be this as well, all Z4s seem to suffer this.

Tim.
Thanks for that Tim. I'm in Thailand so the block temperature is probably around 28 C at 'cold' start but the whine seems to disappear once warmed up. It's not rev related and I cannot identify it with the bonnet up, only in the cabin. The car will be back in the dealers on Friday to get a wind deflector fitted so I'll have it checked then. May just have to live with it!

Cheers
John

jagi00

Post by jagi00 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 am

Yet another update - the intermittent whine now also appears when the engine is up to temperature :(

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am

Is it really that bad? I mean crikey I've had some noises ( and still do ) from mine but unless its really loud or annoying then I just get on... Does anyone have a video or recording?

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:27 pm

I'll try and get a video of mine, it's loud enough that people stare at my car when they walk past and I'm in a traffic jam (sadly they are not admiring the car, the noise can be heard from about 10 foot away)

Since the new pump was fitted its even louder on mine, it's going back in tomorrow.

When it's in the garage the echo is so loud that its actually louder than the engine!

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Mine is going in for investigation on Friday. Posted a while back with an example of the noise. Is this what you're getting?

http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=53476

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Mines back in today and sytner have located a fault with the fuel filter - lets see if this solves it! I would have just lived with it but it came back the first time even louder.

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:46 pm

After fitting the pump which still made the noise, they swapped the fuel filter and it still made the noise, so my dealer wrote to BMW who have said there is a revised pump for the z4s now which don't make the noise - so this is being fitted on Tuesday :D

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Good news that you have a proper fix :D . Mine went in yesterday and I've been told that some parts need to be ordered and then they'll want the car for 2 days. I was told it was "to do with the fuel system." I'll ask specifically what's going to be done when I take it in...

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm

strugglinauthor wrote:Good news that you have a proper fix :D . Mine went in yesterday and I've been told that some parts need to be ordered and then they'll want the car for 2 days. I was told it was "to do with the fuel system." I'll ask specifically what's going to be done when I take it in...
There's a technical bulletin about the pumps, so if your dealer follows this you should get a replacement revised pump fitted. It's a very big job, would cost £1300 without a warranty.

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Transmat wrote:
strugglinauthor wrote:Good news that you have a proper fix :D . Mine went in yesterday and I've been told that some parts need to be ordered and then they'll want the car for 2 days. I was told it was "to do with the fuel system." I'll ask specifically what's going to be done when I take it in...
There's a technical bulletin about the pumps, so if your dealer follows this you should get a replacement revised pump fitted. It's a very big job, would cost £1300 without a warranty.
£1300?! Sheesh.

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm

I've got the car back from bmw this morning - perfect with no whining noise! The proper fix seems to be a revised pump - a technical bulletin with the dealers is recommending this rather than replacing the pump like for like (which is what they did with mine first time round).

One very happy z4 owner!

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Good news, Transmat. :D With your experience in mind I'll ensure they're putting the new pump in mine - if that is indeed the problem.

Paul c

Post by Paul c » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:39 am

Have this whining noise on my new 35i only usually when it is warmed up especially after a long run only hear it when ticking over did not on happen on my 60plate 23i a bit annoying :( as is the rattle from the plastic bit under the radio which disappears when you push it hard anyone else had this one? will get it back to the dealers at some point. :(
2013 Z435i msport manual Glacier silver heated seats 326alloys comfort pack [ Gone ]
Porsche Cayman PDK 20in platinum alloys park control sound system + heated seats
Mini Cooper Countryman White black Roof and wheels Chilli Pack