Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot is jammed HELP!!!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Boot is jammed HELP!!!

Post by Taz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 pm

no over-ride system????? this sounds to be a fundamental design error

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 am

Well had the boot cover off. The handle operates a microswitch which operates a solenoid, which pulls on the triangular lever pulling two bowden cables that release the boot.
The latches seem to have no adjustment as they are part of the latching system, so i assume they are ok. Strangley having waggled the triangular lever a few times my 'catching' problem as gone.

The lever seems to extra holes for further bowden cables, i assume its used on other models. One could imagine the boot trapped/emergency release cable going there.
Could have been fitted with the handle on boot lid next to the triangle storage.

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Sounds like a right polava!

Good luck with getting it sorted, hope it does soon.
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 pm

OK Update.

The boot is now open. The dealer managed to overide the luggage cover and found that the cable mechanism for the lock release had collapsed inside the assembly.

They told me they have secured this in a more robust manner but I don't know how.

However now that I am home I have noticed the boot is out of alignment with one side higher than the other and over to the right.

So Iwill have to call them in the morning.

They also washed it and swirled it :headbang:

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Gutted, feel for you!
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 am

Well if they swirled it they can polish it. Ill be taking off the boot cover soon to check out this mechanism because if its yet another weak spot on the car ill make it more 'robust' myself!

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Spoke to them today. Car going back next wednesday. For them to look at the boot. I dunno wtf they have done but they well hopefully sort it.

Mentioned the swirls and the rather deep scores in the clear from washing.

Especially annoyed as they know not to wash my car but they said they had to. Well I still wouldnt have let them.

As for them polishing it. No chance unless they pay for a pro detail.

I had the car perfect. They have also used wheel cleaner that has stained the alloy hubs that I had polished.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:18 pm

In my experience, the less you can get the dealer to do the better if you love your car. Mine went back a lot in the early days to get things sorted, as it was a first generation (2009) car they're were still bugs in the model to remove. I wish I hadn't taken it back half as much as there's usually something else that's not right once they've fiddled. If you don't want them to sort the paint, then get them to discount you or some other positive from it.

You have made me a bit worried over the boot mechanism now, I'll deffo have to take a quick glance in there... :)

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Z4andy wrote:Spoke to them today. Car going back next wednesday. For them to look at the boot. I dunno wtf they have done but they well hopefully sort it.

Mentioned the swirls and the rather deep scores in the clear from washing.

Especially annoyed as they know not to wash my car but they said they had to. Well I still wouldnt have let them.

As for them polishing it. No chance unless they pay for a pro detail.

I had the car perfect. They have also used wheel cleaner that has stained the alloy hubs that I had polished.
when you go back in try to find out what they have done to fix with the boot as it would be handy for all of us to know
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Z4andy wrote:OK Update.

However now that I am home I have noticed the boot is out of alignment with one side higher than the other and over to the right.
Errr that might suggest they forced it open and bent it out of shape? I would not be at all happy with that. Hope you get all of this resolved soon. :thumbsup:
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote:
Z4andy wrote:OK Update.

Errr that might suggest they forced it open and bent it out of shape? I would not be at all happy with that. Hope you get all of this resolved soon. :thumbsup:
Over the last few days the dealer had given me updates and that they would in no way do anything physical to the boot until they had exhausted all other avenues.

They told me they then managed to overide the luggage cover electronically and then it only took an hour to sort.

I'll have a good chat with them next week.

Z4_Gaz

Post by Z4_Gaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm

If you want, when I get home later today, I will post the clearance tolerances schematic from ISTA/D. It clearly shows the allowable tolerances around the panels and roof. This will give you the ability to demonstrate that they have not carried out the work to BMW's published standards.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Z4_Gaz wrote:If you want, when I get home later today, I will post the clearance tolerances schematic from ISTA/D. It clearly shows the allowable tolerances around the panels and roof. This will give you the ability to demonstrate that they have not carried out the work to BMW's published standards.
Yes that would be very helpful.

Found a few unwanted marks on the large strut of the roof mech on the LHS just above the tail light. Looks like they have had tools around there.

So they will have to be sorting that out as well :x

Z4_Gaz

Post by Z4_Gaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Here you go :)

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Z4_Gaz wrote:Here you go :)

Thanks. That's very good to have :thumbsup: