Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First Service - 3 Years ??

Wondermike

Re: First Service - 3 Years ??

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Is it a private sale or a non-franchised dealer? Plenty of choice on BMW website for another grand or so, and a years proper warranty with it.

The spanner on the dash wouldn't just have appeared after three years, you would have to drive around ignoring it for a year.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Rialas wrote:
Z4coupebeaver wrote:
Rialas wrote:With only 4500k miles on the clock, I'd snap it up. It'll feel like a new car.
Maybe could have done with an oil change at 2 years, but no real biggie if it hasn't been abused.
To much unjustified paranoia with low mile cars. Should be the opposite.
It will smell like a new car, look fresh and be very satisfying - then the bills will start coming in. The battery will fail prematurely - sorry sir, that's not covered in a used car warranty - you notice the tyres are slightly out of balance - sorry sir, we can't balance them as they have flat spots - no it's not covered by warranty. Why are my mirrors so slow - the grease has gone hard in them. - Oh, that's normal sir, no it's not a fault, it's a feature.

This is from first hand experience - no paranoia - then I was stupid enough to do it again!!!!! It started with the battery failing, then the brakes sticking!!!! Ahhhhh!!!
Batteries and tyres would have needed replacing after 3 years and 36k miles anyway (average mileage).
As long as you could get a company to warranty it, I don't see the problem.
It hasn't been in storage for 10 years where your fears would be more justified.

1.5k per year is about right for a summer/fun garage queen toy. Nice.
Agreed, my Z3 does less than a 1000 a year, is 12 years old and runs mint, just covered 25K now, never had any probs in the 5 years I've owned it and has been stored the past 4 winters for 6 months again with no problems. I would be more concerned with higher than average mileage with no service record.

End of the day, just get the car checked out before parting with the cash.
Tim.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:41 pm

n8ony wrote:Thanks for the helpful comments guys.

It has an asking price of £17,750 in white with red leather, manual and V spoke alloys. It looks the part and will now be used on a daily basis doing about 15,000 mile a year.
I was offered less than that for my 11 plate with sat nav heated seats full up to date service history and only done 11k
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

n8ony

Post by n8ony » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Jabber

I will take it. Where do I sign !!

I think I have decided to leave this one, so the search continues.
2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe
1984 Porsche 911 3.2 Sport Cabriolet
1950 Land Rover 80" Series 1 Soft Top
1949 MG TC

Z4_Gaz

Post by Z4_Gaz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I will gladly do you a swap?

I have 76k on mine now (almost 4 years old). Everything is nicely worn in, so no premature failures to worry about. If something fails, at least I have had my moneys worth and it really will be worn out. :)