Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Latch Error

ian

Roof Latch Error

Post by ian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Three weeks ago our 2010 2.5 started giving roof not latched errors. This got to be such a pain (all week!) we left the Z4 at home and used the other car instead :( All looked fine on the outside but could get the error with the roof up or down and when up with the boot tray up or down. Sometimes a roof up/down cycle would clear the error. A whirring motor noise could also be occasionally heard from the boot.

Booked it into the dealer but Sod's Law it wouldn't perform, although there was a "roof abuse" type error logged which was cleared. The car is two months off the end of warranty and I'm concerned that there's a large bill coming (like there was on our previous model Z4 when the cloth roof motor died along with some of the mechanism - out of warranty) :cry:

I don't know what/where the roof sensors are, but to get the same error in both up/down positions and regardless of tray position would suggest something which is monitoring/sensing all positions or by fluke, two two sensors dying at the same time.

Just had an XF turbo intercooler blow 1.5 months out of warranty, so don't want lightening to strike my wallet twice :!:

Any ideas please?

Thanks!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Roof Latch Error

Post by Maniac » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:11 am

Sorry, not heard of this one. Never knew there was a roof abuse error code either?!

A latch error could mean anything as there are latches all over the mechanism. It could be a sensor or an alignment issue etc and only a dealer is likely to find it.

My suggestion.. Get extended warranty. These are complex cars, and will fail on something sometime, extended warranty might seem costly, until the roof does decide to fail at which point it will seem like pocket money.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:35 pm

I would of thought that you would get some good will from bmw if it was to fail out of warranty as you have complained about the problem whilst it was still under warranty and was showing a fault code
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:37 pm

jabber wrote:I would of thought that you would get some good will from bmw if it was to fail out of warranty as you have complained about the problem whilst it was still under warranty and was showing a fault code
I was going to say the same.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

z4ron

Post by z4ron » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Think I've got similar to you Ian, mine's due in tomorrow. Intermittent with mine too, so hopefully it's something they've seen before. Does the roof button flash ? If you press the button the windows drop and nothing happens? Can't get into the boot as it thinks roof is part deployed ? Looking down this section, I'm pretty sure there was a guy asking about a similar issue last month, though he didn't get a reply.

ian

Post by ian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes roof button flashes (red I think?) and get an error on the dash. I actually have no problems with the roof operation itself, all looks fine on the face of it, it's just the error warning etc. I guess the abuse code is logged as we've technically been driving around with the error code bonging away in the background (having initially stopped and exercised the roof a few times), so as far as it's concerned, the roof could be halfway down about to be ripped off at 70mph+ :wink:

It was annoying after several years of 2 x Z4 ownership that the BMW technician had the cheek to question how we'd possibly placed items in the boot :headbang: Not that it would explain the roof up and errors...

Yes, we got some good will on the previous canvass roof/motor problems, so will have to have a think as to how long we'll have the car, as well into year 4 will be pushing my luck with good will.... :|

Thanks for the replies. Just looking, I must have the lowest ratio of posts (1 in 4 years :? ). I promise to be a more active member in future and spend less time on the Jaguar forums... :D

z4ron

Post by z4ron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 am

Well they reckon they've fixed it, time will tell I suppose. Not sure how many sensors are involved (could only be one as far I know) , but was told that all the sensors had been replaced. Also had them look at rear offside light cluster as indicator was failing intermittently. They changed the light cluster, but was also surprised that they changed the nearside cluster too. Not that I'm complaining :D