Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 4 play music through stereo

taylors

iPhone 4 play music through stereo

Post by taylors » Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Can anyone help. I have my iPhone 4 in its cradle connected to the phone system. I would like to play music on my phone through the stereo. Is this possible?

Thanks

Titan

Re: iPhone 4 play music through stereo

Post by Titan » Sun May 26, 2013 11:20 pm

AFAIK the cradle only affords phone functionality and charging.
To play music you need Bluetooth.
Sorry I can't be more precise
Terry

Sent from m'iPhone using TappetTorque
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

taylors

Post by taylors » Sun May 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks Titan, seems odd.

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 pm

taylors wrote:Can anyone help. I have my iPhone 4 in its cradle connected to the phone system. I would like to play music on my phone through the stereo. Is this possible?

Thanks
When you say "cradle" do you mean the BMW dock in the centre console? If so, you shouldn't have any problems playing music through the car's HiFi system - that is what it's designed for! However, if you mean a 3rd party cradle, it will depend on what cable you're using
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 pm

InvisibleName wrote:
taylors wrote:Can anyone help. I have my iPhone 4 in its cradle connected to the phone system. I would like to play music on my phone through the stereo. Is this possible?

Thanks
When you say "cradle" do you mean the BMW dock in the centre console? If so, you shouldn't have any problems playing music through the car's HiFi system - that is what it's designed for! However, if you mean a 3rd party cradle, it will depend on what cable you're using
Infortunately its not that simple. The cradle comes in three models. Charging, audio/multimedia and apps. Each are progressively more expensive.

You a) need a car with combox upgrade (MY11 on) and b) the correct cradle/adaptor.

Z4_Gaz

Post by Z4_Gaz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

The standard 'Y' cable is one alternative. I did enquire about upgrading the Combox (Mines a 05/2009), but was told it wouldn't be worth the cost/trouble. I think I got ripped off though, as I paid £50.00 for the cable from BMW. There are cheaper versions available on Amazon/Ebay that seem to give mixed results.

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am

I think these cradles are a bit of a waste of time. I can charge my phone and listen to music from it in the car without one. Fitting the cradle connections and then charging stupid money to buy the cradle itself is typical bmw ripoff imo.

andyb99

Post by andyb99 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

that cradle is a waste of time and money...i bought a Y cable off ebay for under just over fiver ...it charges the phone and plays my music no problems at all.....and i have no coverage problems (the cradle gives it access to the car antenna i think)
this is the one i got and it works
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130646715019? ... 1497.l2649

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Carol M wrote:I think these cradles are a bit of a waste of time. I can charge my phone and listen to music from it in the car without one. Fitting the cradle connections and then charging stupid money to buy the cradle itself is typical bmw ripoff imo.

Phew! As I'm due another phone soon, I had planned to go the whole hog and get a phone and a cradle. I think I'll stick with a just a new phone and a charging cable! :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 pm

This is the type of thing that you want.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1 ... oduct.html

I have a Griffin one on a stalk that charges off the cigarette lighter. Cost me about £75 3/4 years ago. Ill try to dig it out & if u want it yours for £25 as it doesn't support the iPhone 5

This is my one, the roadtrip http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipho ... -handsfree

wegras

Post by wegras » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks
An alternative requires an Aux in socket

Buy a small Bluetooth receiver ,most if not all stream A2DP which is required for Stereo transmission
and connect into Aux in and play music over B/T from iPhone

Like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-BTR006-B ... h+receiver
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm

It is actually possible to play music in the snap-in adapter "cradle" through your stereo. It's possible in my 2010 model, with the 7HP Connectivity Package.

You also need the USB interface in the centre console, and the snap in adapter which says 'Music' on it. There's one for the iPhone 3GS, another for 4/4S, and now the iPhone 5.

It was great, to be able to use my steering wheel controls and browse playlists etc. I'm back to using the cables though, since I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and didn't want to pay the extortionate cost (€399!) for the new adapter. With the cable, I can only control volume through the stereo - the other stuff has to happen through the phone interface...