Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paint repair on a lease question

Ssovm

Paint repair on a lease question

Post by Ssovm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 am

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this board and in fact, I started a lease on my E89 three days ago. Today I paralleled parked in a residential area for a festival and when I returned, the rear bumper on the driver side has been side swiped. I'm extremely disappointed especially because I got the car three whole days ago. I was crushed when i saw it. It doesn't appear to have any body damage but it definitely needs to be repainted. I have a few questions for anyone who has encountered this.

1) will a BMW collision center report the work to carfax?
2) Do you think I would have to pay extra fees on the lease turn in if there is any mention of this type of work on the carfax?
3) I've heard that there is no way to make the repaint look like factory because the type of paint the factory uses is fundamentally different than any factory paint. I think I read about BMW collision centers being able to make it look like new. Does anyone have any experience related to this?
4) for those who have had some work done at BMW collision center, any idea about how much this would cost? I would post a pic but it looks like I need to host it somewhere. It's about a square foot of the damage. The paint has clearly been scraped off in some places. Other places look like some molding came off of the f***er's car.

Thanks for your help if you can provide it! I absolutely love this car and I'm relieved that the damage wasn't worse, but still... This has never happened on any of my previous cars. :(

the cueball

Re: Paint repair on a lease question

Post by the cueball » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 am

I can't answer specifically about your car and lease.... but I have lease cars in the work and we always fix any damage before handing them back to the lease company...

things may be different in the UK via US... but we have a specific set of rules that cover "fair wear and tear" and the lease companies love to charge a lot of money based on these rules...

In my experience, BMW are one of the worst... I even had a fight that a small stone chip on a 3 year old car was acceptable "wear and tear"

Not nice to hear about your new car, hope you get it sorted out... :headbang: :headbang:

:thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I would have thought so long as the car is repaired by a BMW bodyshop then there shouldn't be any problems or penalty when you hand the car back at the end of the lease. For all you know the car may have already been repaired by BMW themselves before delivery.

I would be careful if going to a non approved BMW bodyshop if on a lease.

Tim.

Ssovm

Post by Ssovm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I appreciate your help. I'm getting an estimate from a certified BMW body shop here in town. I'll update with the estimate to see if that's within range of normalcy. Thanks!