Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof rattle

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Roof rattle

Post by jimbo1958 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Maniac wrote:FOUND IT! FOUND IT! FOUND IT!

I didn't want to throw a party right away, so I made some changes to the rear deck last week and drove it around for a week as usual. The rattle that has plagued me for over two years or more is fixed. Oh yes, thank you very much, a round of applause is heard in the distance.

It seems I was right a long time ago, I just didn't fix it well enough. That piece of metal on the rear deck/boot lid that the roof sits on... I took off the many many nuts and removed the metal strip. I then used PTFE spray along all the rubber and metal edges, as well as all the plastic screw/pins and the pin seats (the plastic screw/pins are a T shape glued to the metal piece). After re-assembling it all there was a slight click for a day and now, presumably as the PTFE spray as been moved around, silence. Its almost like driving a new car.

Praise the lord!

I can only think that as the rear deck (part 5) is reinforced plastic that its twisting under load marginally against the metal strip (part 3), which is unforgiving. Though I couldn't see a surface mark, there is a lot of contact on many surfaces.

Great work Maniac......I know this has been bugging you for ages.
I have a slight rattle over bumps so your solution is something I'll look at come warmer weather.

Cheers. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

anthony25

Post by anthony25 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 am

I didn't want to throw a party right away, so I made some changes to the rear deck last week and drove it around for a week as usual. The rattle that has plagued me for over two years or more is fixed. Oh yes, thank you very much, a round of applause is heard in the distance.

It seems I was right a long time ago, I just didn't fix it well enough. That piece of metal on the rear deck/boot lid that the roof sits on... I took off the many many nuts and removed the metal strip. I then used PTFE spray along all the rubber and metal edges, as well as all the plastic screw/pins and the pin seats (the plastic screw/pins are a T shape glued to the metal piece). After re-assembling it all there was a slight click for a day and now, presumably as the PTFE spray as been moved around, silence. Its almost like driving a new car.

Praise the lord!

I can only think that as the rear deck (part 5) is reinforced plastic that its twisting under load marginally against the metal strip (part 3), which is unforgiving. Though I couldn't see a surface mark, there is a lot of contact on many surfaces.

Hi Maniac,

I saw your post on this forum as well as the post on other bmw forum. I think I am having an exact same issue. It annoys me a lot and it even makes me to think about selling this car after this summer is over. When I found out your posts, I felt like I just met a savior.

Anyway, I really want to fix this issue, but do not know where the noise is coming from. You posted pictures linked from 'realmoem.com' and referred the "part #3, part #5". However, images are gone and I do not know which part you are referring to. Would you be able to refer me to a part where you think the noise is coming from from below link? I will try to fix this over the weekend.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp ... _28i&mg=54

Thanks

jayware33

Post by jayware33 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:33 am

I might have a solution for you!!

BMW spent 3k in labour with my car and didn't fix however; I did! 8)

Here's what to do, get into your car and started the process of lifting the roof off. Now, stop it just as the boot portion lifts up (about 2 seconds into the process). Get out your car and go round the back, directly behind your car. You'll see a rectangle slot on the flat surface, right in the middle of where the roof goes down onto. You'll also notice there is a male connector that slots into this, a little plastic bit sticking down from the roof portion, in the middle of it. Get some Vaseline / grease and apply to this. Put the roof back up. Job done.

This drives me mad but such a simple fix.

Please let me know the outcome :).

Current: 2006 E85 3.0 si Sport 6 speed manual
E89 30i Auto

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 am

My Z is beginning to need some attention in terms of rattle removal. Will have to do this. Also it seems the roof joints need some grease as it seems it creaks and strains a little when folding.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:51 pm

I had a knocking that came back a few days ago.
Had forgotten initially the cure.
Then remembered the black strips attached to the rear quarter lights, bump up against a bolt head inside the rubber roof trim.
Quick squirt of silicon spray on them has cured the noise for now.
Think the warmer weather has dried out the seals.

jamesbond

Roof rattle

Post by jamesbond » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:01 pm

Praise the lord!

Hello old thread I know any pics ?
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

jamesbond

Roof rattle

Post by jamesbond » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Hello

No need .. found all the pictures from other sites (and backed searched through this forum)

no more action needed ...
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

tintoverano

Roof rattle

Post by tintoverano » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:05 pm

jamesbond wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm Hello

No need .. found all the pictures from other sites (and backed searched through this forum)

hi, still have this pict? thanks
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

tintoverano

Roof rattle

Post by tintoverano » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm

tintoverano wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:05 pm
jamesbond wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm Hello

hi, still have this pict? thanks
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm

jayware33 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:33 am I might have a solution for you!!

BMW spent 3k in labour with my car and didn't fix however; I did! 8)

Here's what to do, get into your car and started the process of lifting the roof off. Now, stop it just as the boot portion lifts up (about 2 seconds into the process). Get out your car and go round the back, directly behind your car. You'll see a rectangle slot on the flat surface, right in the middle of where the roof goes down onto. You'll also notice there is a male connector that slots into this, a little plastic bit sticking down from the roof portion, in the middle of it. Get some Vaseline / grease and apply to this. Put the roof back up. Job done.

This drives me mad but such a simple fix.

Please let me know the outcome :).
The wedge on my car came with some felt on the wedge. It fell off so i replaced it with the woolly side of velcro, job done.

DAG

Roof rattle

Post by DAG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Put rubber backed sticky foam on either side of where deck meets lip when closed. No sound at all.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof rattle

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:08 pm

DAG wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:54 pm Put rubber backed sticky foam on either side of where deck meets lip when closed. No sound at all.
Yes originally BMW put felt strips there, but they just fall off.
Last comment i made was the fluffy velcro, but that is too thick, needs just thin felt.

DAG

Roof rattle

Post by DAG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:30 pm

I used a think 1/4 sticky foam pad. works great!! It is not for the fin that centers the roof on the deck it is the whole plasitc deck where it meets the section behind the roll bars. Agree the fin only uses a thin piece...

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof rattle

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:48 pm

DAG wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:30 pm I used a think 1/4 sticky foam pad. works great!! It is not for the fin that centers the roof on the deck it is the whole plasitc deck where it meets the section behind the roll bars. Agree the fin only uses a thin piece...
Yes i used the rubber furniture pads they sell in Wilco for rear deck.