Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problem with BMW security fix

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Problem with BMW security fix

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm

jabber wrote:
kevinmarkwhite wrote:Thats a good service, I like that.
yes I was pleased also one of their technicians lives close to me so I have been told that if I want they can get him to pick it up first thing in the morning and drop it back at the end of the day for any further servicing etc. Also handy to know a local tech when he picked it up he gave me his mobile number perhaps he's looking for a bit of extra work when its out of warranty :wink:
Hope they didn't give it a good thrashing for you. I would be very wary on a pick up delivery service. A guy on one of the 1 Series forums had a dash cam fitted which the dealer didn't realise and the little bit of film of the mechanic test driving was lets say interesting.

Tim.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 pm

TitanTim wrote:
jabber wrote:
kevinmarkwhite wrote:Thats a good service, I like that.
yes I was pleased also one of their technicians lives close to me so I have been told that if I want they can get him to pick it up first thing in the morning and drop it back at the end of the day for any further servicing etc. Also handy to know a local tech when he picked it up he gave me his mobile number perhaps he's looking for a bit of extra work when its out of warranty :wink:
Hope they didn't give it a good thrashing for you. I would be very wary on a pick up delivery service. A guy on one of the 1 Series forums had a dash cam fitted which the dealer didn't realise and the little bit of film of the mechanic test driving was lets say interesting.

Tim.
I always check mileage before it goes in to make sure it hasn't been taken for any joy rides mind you where I live there are so many speed cameras and mobile ones you don't get much chance the last time I fancied giving my old e85 3.0 a bit of a blast went out at 4 am and took a chance on the local motorway it was almost empty so managed to blow away some cobwebs
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

rhodesey35iM

Post by rhodesey35iM » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Had the security fix carried out today by Ascot BMW. They picked it up from the house and dropped it back off with a little certificate to show it had been done.
Same as last the time they picked it up it was a retired well spoken gentleman. It does give you a degree of confidence that it won't be abused when he tells you he does Rolls Royce as well. :driving:

Gone...E89 35i M Sport Twin Turbo : DCT : Coral Red & Sapphire Black
Gone...M240i convertible
Now....M40 Z4

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 pm

its not the driving fast that bothers me so much the abuse ie Cold engine /high revs senario, reving at switch off if a turbo'd car etc.

I saw a new Audi with delivery covers being driven from the port yesterday. I was in my wifes A4 Quattro and had hurry to keep up. It still had water from the exhaust and could have only done half a mile. Somebody will get that and treat it like a baby no doubt :(
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

K99

Post by K99 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm

In the 'olden days' it was very important to let the engine and oil to warm up because oil protection was poor at low temperatures, manufacturing tolerances were low and metal and seal quality was usually poor.
Today's engines use oil that protects at all temperatures and improved component manufacture mean that tolerances are virtually the same from cold to optimal temperature. Also a lot of ECUs protect very high performance engines from damage when cold where its still important.
Not sure whether there's reasons to let catalytic converters warm up?
Definitely worth letting turbo engines idle for a couple of mins after a hoon though :)
Of course I let the engine car warm up but whether its actually required I'm not sure any more.
sDrive 35 M Sport 2012 DCT
Melbourne Red/ Ivory White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

It is still a good idea to wait until everything is warmed up! Thats when all the clearances are correct in the engine, gearbox and diff.

Which would you buy , or a car thats been whacked from cold each day or a one thats been treated gently from cold?
Last edited by ronk on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dario

Post by dario » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am

ronk wrote:It is still a good idea to wait until everything is warmed up! Thats when all the clearances are correct in the engine, gearbox and diff.

Which would you buy , are car thats been whacked from cold each day or a one thats been treated gently from cold?
this is why launch control is not available to use until the oil temp is somewhere near normal. :driving:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Only tried to edit my post due to a typo and it all went wonky! :D