Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hydraulic Lifters Tapping

tommy

Re: Hydraulic Lifters Tapping

Post by tommy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi had same issue with my 2008 2.5cc BMW are aware of issue changed my lifers and problem still there so the dealer changed cylinder head for new one problem solved all done under BMW warranty.Seems if they check engine number they know what vehicles had problem heads.

strugglinauthor

Re: Hydraulic Lifters Tapping

Post by strugglinauthor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks Tommy.

Since this posting I've done lots of searching on the net and it seems to be a common problem with this engine. I was under the impression that the cylinder head had already been modified by the time my car was produced and so some owners have expressed surprise that it's still occurring on such a late model Z4.

The tapping, or rather ticking, still occurs although infuriatingly it only happens on occasions. When it does happen, it soon disappears after a drive. I will mention it when the car goes in to have the rear light cluster changed but as I may have mentioned earlier, I'm really reluctant to have anyone, even a main dealer, messing with the engine unless it's absolutely necessary.