Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Warning AND Puncture!!!...

dannysprags

Engine Warning AND Puncture!!!...

Post by dannysprags » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Well that was an interesting weekend....

On Saturday while driving relatively enthusiastically ( only up to 5k rpm ), the engine warning light flicked up on the dash and stayed on... the message on the iDrive indicated that i was now running on reduced power and that i should exercise restraint although i am allowed to continue my journey but should take the car to a dealer soon. ( brilliant message )

now when this happened i was on my way to a petrol station as i only had 13miles left in the tank....
anyway got to the petrol station, turned off filled up with petrol turned back on and the car had fixed itself, no errors no problems!...

so i decided to take the car to BMW to get her checked, bit worried that if i gun it the light might come back on - but could this has been caused by giving it a little bit of a push while i am down to the gunk in the bottom of the tank? maybe a clogged injector that subsequently cleared?

then on sunday.... Flat tire warning while driving to pick up my fiancee's car from quick fit ( having had its tires replaced to fix a puncture!!! ) shortly after the flat tire warning came on, it then subsequently said that the FTM had failed and needed to be checked!!

turned the car off... turned it back on again - FIXED!

had the tires checked at Quick Fit... 13 PSI in every tire!!... DOH! first time I've had them checked since getting it.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Engine Warning AND Puncture!!!...

Post by AlanJ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 pm

13 PSI.......... :thumbsdown:

Check once a week not only for your own safety but that of others. :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Technology is great, but sometimes we rely on it too much, like not checking your tyre pressures
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Crumbs 13PSI ,i guess it feels a bit differant with more air in tyres :roll: :roll:
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:22 pm

13 miles left in the tank and 13psi.... that's not you lucky number :o
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 pm

I don't understand how your tyres were as low as 13psi, thats less than half the recommended pressure. When I've stored my Z3 over winter for 5 months the tyres might loose 3 or 4 psi at most.

Tyre pressure should ideally be checked weekly or monthly at the most, its not exactly an onerous task, seems like you did neither :thumbsdown:

Tim.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 pm

What a let down. :(
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Did qf not then proceed to tell you that you needed 4 new tyres, brake pads, exhaust, brakelines, brake discs all at a competive price three times more than say BMW?

And if you didn't replace the above you would die in a massive fireball?

Tried that with me on a 18 month old car. I only went in for a puncture and they failed fixing that as well.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 pm

What alloys has the car got on it?

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm crap at checking my tyre pressures, sometimes months go by.

However, I did check them on my car and wifey's last Sunday so I can be rightous for a couple more days...