Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine cuts out/pinking

biggiz_40

Engine cuts out/pinking

Post by biggiz_40 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi all 1st post :D
2012 2.0i M sport. Just wondering if any other 2.0i owners are having problems with pinking/engine cutting out? Also lumpy at tick over and cuts out then restarts when cold at traffic lights (no stop start is off). Tbh I'm surprised how different the engine is compared to the 3 litre 6 cylinder. Previous 3.0 litre was smooth but also had issues depending on fuel. Scoured the threads and didn't want the dealer to say it's the quality of the fuel. Only 490 miles, still running her in. No Sport mode or full throttle (under 3000 rpm ). Beautiful car though. Photos when rain stops

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Engine cuts out/pinking

Post by andysat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi and welcome-do engines still 'pink' nowadays?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I would think there would be an anti knock sensor so a trip to the dealer.

Tim.

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, it would have to knock at least once for the sensor to notice and retard the ignition. But if you notice pinging, either the knock sensor is not working, or it's retarded the ignition as far as allowed, to no avail. This should have triggered trouble codes.

One thing to check for would be leaks either in intake or pre-cat exhaust. These can cause the mixture to go out of whack, causing the symptoms you experience.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am

Mmmm. Judging by the lack of responses 1) should of posted this in Newbie section or 2)) other E89 2.0i owners are not having this issue. Answer.....excuse to use up the half tank of Tesco Premium then fill her up with Shell V power. (Before calling the dealer who'll most likely say) "wrong fuel spec" :headbang:

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:14 am

Thanx for the reply Tim. I'll try another tank of fuel before contacting the dealer. It worked with my E89 3.0i a year ago. :thumbsup:

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 am

Doh....and bcworkz. I noticed that when I used Tesco fuel with the 3.0i I had the same problem. As soon as I started filling up at Asda novo problems and she ran fine :oops:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

It could be a rogue fill up in terms of quality.. however your engine is designed to use both standard unleaded and super unleaded (95 ron up, and reading your manual (link below) it seems you can go down to around 91 ron if you really want to in desperation but then the manual does state you'll hear noise) so its not likely the dealer would say its the fuel unless you've found somewhere that pumps below 95 ron spec.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ ... lcode=12ZA

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for that Maniac. I did read previous thread reference RON values. Tesco Premium is 97 RON I believe which should be fine. Anyhoo, gives me an excuse to go for a blast (chug chug :x ) and also test the stereo. Any chance of u recording your engine, copying to a cd so I can play it through my stereo Lol.
I do miss the 6 cylinder engines. I think BMW have tuned the exhaust note but doesn't really make up for the sound of a sixer. 8)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

biggiz_40 wrote:Thanks for that Maniac. I did read previous thread reference RON values. Tesco Premium is 97 RON I believe which should be fine. Anyhoo, gives me an excuse to go for a blast (chug chug :x ) and also test the stereo. Any chance of u recording your engine, copying to a cd so I can play it through my stereo Lol.
I do miss the 6 cylinder engines. I think BMW have tuned the exhaust note but doesn't really make up for the sound of a sixer. 8)
Its the singular reason I still have this car.. the engine and exhaust note. Once my warranty expires and therein the reassurance in a years time it will be back to something more practical, but for now I press the car as hard and loud as possible!

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Gutted. Got 20 miles down the M40 and had to turn back. Took the car to the local dealer who confirmed that it's probably nothing to do with the fuel, more likely a sensor that needs replacing. Come on BMW, 37K only 520 miles. :thumbsdown: booked in for next Wednesday. Will I ever get into press the Sports button :driving: still raining so still can't take any pics :x

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Bad luck... BMW are good at service/warranty work tho, they'll sort it. Good job really as their build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 pm

TBH I'm lucky because it's my wife's company car so I'll switch to mine.....visualise, drum roll...... F30 328i Luxury. 8 spd Auto, sun protection glass. Sports seats. Cream Leather. 19" wheels. Sat Nav. Mmmm, reckon this engine would be crazy in a Z....so smooth. :D still doesn't sound like a straight six tho :thumbsdown:

biggiz_40

Post by biggiz_40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:55 pm

TBH I'm lucky because it's my wife's company car so I'll switch to mine.....visualise, drum roll...... F30 328i Luxury. 8 spd Auto, sun protection glass. Sports seats. Cream Leather. 19" wheels. Sat Nav. Mmmm, reckon this engine would be crazy in a Z....so smooth. :D still doesn't sound like a straight six tho :thumbsdown:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm

biggiz_40 wrote:TBH I'm lucky because it's my wife's company car so I'll switch to mine.....visualise, drum roll...... F30 328i Luxury. 8 spd Auto, sun protection glass. Sports seats. Cream Leather. 19" wheels. Sat Nav. Mmmm, reckon this engine would be crazy in a Z....so smooth. :D still doesn't sound like a straight six tho :thumbsdown:
2012 Model eh? Same engine model too (n20)? Still time for that to develop faults ;)