Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive Navigation to iPhone Contact Addresses

Z4Zebs

Post by Z4Zebs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi there - I'm wondering if anyone with a Z4 and an iPhone can help me with a small issue I am having?

I have an iPhone 4S which for the most part connects really well to the iDrive system in my 35i (11 plate). However, when I ask the iDrive system to navigate to the address of a contact in the iPhone, it seems to pull the data though in the wrong order (post code first, then 1st line of the address etc) ... and then tries to navigate to somewhere in the Netherlands!

I took the car to the local BMW dealership today. Their first response was to suggest that this was a fault with my iPhone ... so they all tried their own iPhones ... with the same result. The dealership seems totally perplexed by this issue, and tell me they have never seen this before.

I tried doing the same activity with my iPhone in a friend's 12 plate 120d ... same result again, so this doesn't seem isolated to my Z4.

The dealership is "on the case" now but I figured there's a good chance someone here will identify the issue and resolve it long before I have any joy at the dealership!

Many thanks in advance for any help!!

Robbeh

Post by Robbeh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 am

I have the same problem, I ended up changing the addresses in my iPhone so they were stored in a way that worked, the biggest problem was the iPhones automatic use of "united kingdom" and idrive preferring "great Briton" :(

I ended up editing my contacts on the gmail website, then let them sync to my iPhone, then testing them in the car - I guess most people just save the contact to the car after correcting it in idrive, I just don't like that :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: iDrive Navigation to iPhone Contact Addresses

Post by Maniac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 am

I believe with the names on the phone book you can choose the order in the iPhone settings, perhaps you can do the same on the address side?

Z4Zebs

Post by Z4Zebs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks both for the reponses!

Changing the country from "United Kingdom" to "Great Britain" has meant the iDrive is at least looking for the address in GB, rather than the Netherlands ... definitely a good start!

However, I'm struggling to get anywhere with a postcode search ... when I manage to get the postcode into the "City/Postcode" field in the iDrive system, it attempts to find a city with a name similar to the postcode - so totally useless!

Robbeh, any chance you could let me know which fields you used for the various elements of the address?!

Thanks again!

Robbeh

Post by Robbeh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Sure, one that works is:

Street: <street name> <house number>
Town/City: <town>
County: <county>

Everything else, including postcode is left blank - As I said, I had much better luck making the changes on gmail, trying to edit it on the iPhone just seemed to cause me no end of problems with it not actually getting things in the right order.

Hope that helps :)

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I have a iPhone..didnt even know you could do this :oops:
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

Z4Zebs

Post by Z4Zebs » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks Robbeh - much appreciated. Bit annoying that the data has to be messed around with at all!

The iDrive software clearly needs an update to fix this issue. The dealership tells me they have raised the issue on their technical bulletin board ... something tells me it won't be top of their list of issues to fix though!

If I get any further info from them, I'll update this thread ...