Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any ideas please!

Sizzle

Any ideas please!

Post by Sizzle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 pm

For you techno wizards out there, from start up the radiator fan has started to run continuously. Have turned off air con as local garage suggested this may be the cause but this has not made any difference. Car has done less than 800 miles and local dealer cannot look at it until 29 June. Just wondered if anyone has any sensible suggestions - no warning lights have come on to advise of a fault :(

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Any ideas please!

Post by Maniac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Some information might help us help you.. what is the car model/engine? Is the fan audible / at high speed continuously? Does it change at all etc.

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Ok, it's a 2.0i m-sport. When I started it yesterday the fan was so loud it sounded like a jet engine and when I drove the 5 miles home from work I could easily hear it while driving. Same thing happened when I started her up this morning but after driving about a mile it stopped and it didn't happen at all driving home this afternoon. Had a 2007 2-litre sport previously and a 1 series and had absolutely no problems at all with those so feeling a little disappointed. Hope this isn't going to be an intermittent fault they can't rectify :(

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:06 pm

The fans on these cars are sensor driven, therefore it could be a faulty sensor, it could also be that your cooling system is faulty, like a faulty water pump or insufficient water levels. In any event you're covered under warranty, but I'd be keeping a close eye on the engine temp gauge to see how quickly the engine warms up and to what temp. If it climbs past half way quickly (this is based on general knowledge, but there are other 20i owners on here that can tell you what temp theirs runs at) I'd be concerned your water cooling system is faulty. If temp levels are half way or just below, then I'd say its sensor related. Just my initial thoughts, without being there to check it out its difficult to know really..

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for that. Faulty sensor was my husband's initial thoughts, but didn't know. Temp gauge is certainly not going above half way but will keep my eye on it and see what happens when I start her up tomorrow. I just like things perfect... Especially on a new car of that value. But again thank you for your input :thumbsup:

duncan-m-w

Post by duncan-m-w » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 pm

My 20i never gets to half way in the temp gauge - more like 1/4. If pushed hard, it creeps over 1/4.

It is actually quite annoying for my OCD side as I would prefer it in the middle.
20i MSport
Spec: Pure Impulse Design, Comfort Pack, Seat heating, S/W heating, DAB, Pro hifi.
Mods: Stubby, Alu pedals, High gloss grill

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 pm

It doesn't sound right if the fan is running all the time from start up.

I've noticed with mine the fan does kick in quite soon after starting the car from cold and will run for 20 secs or so then go off then come back on again in cycles. Temp gauge on mine never reaches half way, probably just over a quarter.

So long as your fan is running then its keeping things cool but definitely a dealer visit.

Tim.

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks guys for your replies - hadn't really taken much notice of temp gauge before this problem but since then noticed mine's only getting to about 1/4 but tbh when I use car for work I only drive 5 miles (with the top down :D )so it's hardly warming up. Booked in with dealer next week so I'll have to wait and see what they have to say

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Sizzle wrote:Thanks guys for your replies - hadn't really taken much notice of temp gauge before this problem but since then noticed mine's only getting to about 1/4 but tbh when I use car for work I only drive 5 miles (with the top down :D )so it's hardly warming up. Booked in with dealer next week so I'll have to wait and see what they have to say
Hi Sizzle, forgot to mention, the jet engine noise is quite normal as you say noticeable from inside the car. I've read owners of other models mention the same sound, I quite like it :roll:

Can I ask, have you noticed by any chance if your engine whines when cold, quite noticeable but subsides once warmed up? I have a slight issue with this and the Zed is booked in for next Tuesday to have it looked at. Some have said its normal but most said they don't have this noise so unsure if its a fault or not.

Thanks,

Tim.

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Sorry Tim can't say I have noticed a whine when engine cold - mind you can't hear anything over the jet engine sound. I guess you get used to how your car sounds and runs and it's only if things change you notice. Has your car done this from new? I'll turn the radio down and have a listen tomorrow

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Dealer should rectify this problem, doesn't sound normal

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Sizzle wrote:Sorry Tim can't say I have noticed a whine when engine cold - mind you can't hear anything over the jet engine sound. I guess you get used to how your car sounds and runs and it's only if things change you notice. Has your car done this from new? I'll turn the radio down and have a listen tomorrow
Hi thanks for the reply, yes its done it since new, picked up middle of April, its not a great concern but I do notice it if I get the Zed out in the morning and let it idle, if I drive straight off I don't notice it and by the time I get to journeys end the whine has gone. The car is running fine otherwise, so I'm thinking its something ancilliary to the engine thats a bit noisy, will see what the dealer says, theyre keeping the Zed overnight to replicate the noise in the morning.

Regards,

Tim.

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Tim, both myself and hubby had a listen today when I started the zed and no we couldn't hear any whine from the engine. Hope you get it sorted soon :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Sizzle wrote:Hi Tim, both myself and hubby had a listen today when I started the zed and no we couldn't hear any whine from the engine. Hope you get it sorted soon :thumbsup:
Great thanks for doing that :thumbsup: Mines definitely not right then, upto the dealer to get it sorted, fingers crossed.

Tim.