Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 35i LP Fuel Pump Problem

charper

E89 35i LP Fuel Pump Problem

Post by charper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Last sunday i went for a drive out in the nice weather and did about 100 miles. On returning home outside my house sat in the car i heard a noise which sounded similar to a hoover, so i called BMWassist and they sent a mechanic who told me what i feared that the LP fuel pump was faulty. This car is 2 and a half years old and has only covered 8,500 miles, I purchased the car new in December 2009 and have looked after it meticulously i.e. warming engine up properly, dry weather use, etc.

BMW are replacing the LP fuel pump but my question is what do they need to remove to gain access to changing the said item, as my worry now is that i don't want the car to return with rattles. I didn't find it very encouraging when a BMW mechanic said "just use the car as normal" with the whining hoover sound, surely this would increase the risk of causing a problem with the HP fuel pump. I received a loan car once they took the Z4 for repair, and then three days later have asked for it back as it was costing them £70 a day! Which i have returned today as luckily i don't need personal transport for daily use, but thats not the point.

The Z4 has a full tank of fuel, BMW have said that it will have to be drained and disposed of with no reason given for this. I believe they should replace the fuel as it was BMW's faulty fuel pump which has caused this! What are you thoughts on BMW replacing the fuel?

I'm not happy with the service i'm receiving from my local BMW garage at the moment (not the first time) and car what is faulty after so little miles.
Last edited by charper on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wondermike

Re: LP Fuel Pump Problem

Post by Wondermike » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Pretty sure that all the work required will be done from the outside of the car so you shouldn't have any rattle issues.

Handling fuel is dangerous so I can see why they will drain the tank, I wouldn't try and siphon it yourself either. Catch 22 really, would suggest you go for a decent drive and burn it off but then you don't want to get stuck anywhere either if it fails.

:idunno:

charper

Re: LP Fuel Pump Problem

Post by charper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Wondermike wrote:Pretty sure that all the work required will be done from the outside of the car so you shouldn't have any rattle issues.

Handling fuel is dangerous so I can see why they will drain the tank, I wouldn't try and siphon it yourself either. Catch 22 really, would suggest you go for a decent drive and burn it off but then you don't want to get stuck anywhere either if it fails.

:idunno:
They took the car with the petrol already in, i didn't want to use it as the LP fuel pump wasn't functioning properly so why would i use the car with the potential of causing damage to the HP fuel pump. The garage have said they need to drain the tank which i knew they would have to, what i am asking is should they replace the fuel which they are going to be syphoning and disposing of.

m999psw

Re: E89 35i LP Fuel Pump Problem

Post by m999psw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 am

They didn't when they changed mine!

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:48 am

Thats poor show-i would want it replaced-its not cheap stuff!-could you ask for money off your next service or something similar as a goodwill gesture?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 am

They said that you could use the car as normal and there's the catch, you chose not to so they will probably decline to refill it completely. Just keep pushing and complaining, we all want a quiet life, so just complain as if you are OCD :D
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am

sars wrote:They said that you could use the car as normal and there's the catch, you chose not to so they will probably decline to refill it completely. Just keep pushing and complaining, we all want a quiet life, so just complain as if you are OCD :D
-Tell them you are a member of this forum-they will understand! :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Z_Victor1

Post by Z_Victor1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:00 pm

What happened?
£80 fuel refund?
Problem sorted?
What did they have to remove?
2009 sDrive35i, DSB, CBKL, DCT, Adpt M Sus, Ext Stor, St Ht, Thru Load, PDC F/R, Nav + ICE Pro, 6-Disc DVD, USB Interface

charper

Post by charper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 pm

After nearly two weeks and a very heated discussion on the Thursday night, I phoned them on the Friday and the car was ready to be picked up. I was told they only had to drain a couple of gallon from the tank to change the LP fuel pump, this wasn't topped up.

The car was fixed under warranty, I have decided I won't be buying another BMW. I have been disappointed with the dealer I bought from, they go to the ends of the earth to keep you happy when your buying a car, but when something goes wrong you need to rant and rave just get what your entitled too. The car has only done around 9000 miles and has been nursed since day one, I wouldn't expect these faults on what they call a quality car, the main factor in me deciding to go for a Z4 was reliability. (Soon up forsale)

My wife has a Mini from the same dealership, in the Mini department they seem to have a completely different attitude to the BMW snobs. They are more than willing to help if there is a problem!

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:11 pm

charper wrote:After nearly two weeks and a very heated discussion on the Thursday night, I phoned them on the Friday and the car was ready to be picked up. I was told they only had to drain a couple of gallon from the tank to change the LP fuel pump, this wasn't topped up.

The car was fixed under warranty, I have decided I won't be buying another BMW. I have been disappointed with the dealer I bought from, they go to the ends of the earth to keep you happy when your buying a car, but when something goes wrong you need to rant and rave just get what your entitled too. The car has only done around 9000 miles and has been nursed since day one, I wouldn't expect these faults on what they call a quality car, the main factor in me deciding to go for a Z4 was reliability. (Soon up forsale)

My wife has a Mini from the same dealership, in the Mini department they seem to have a completely different attitude to the BMW snobs. They are more than willing to help if there is a problem!

Sadly, your experience, and resulting attitude towards BMW is one that more and more people are alluding towards. I think it is the poor after-service that is doing them harm. Some dealers are brilliant, but if you get a bad one, then you really can feel like you are on your own.