Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Saga

rayz4

Roof Saga

Post by rayz4 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

Since having a new sensor fitted all seemed to be fine with the roof operation, but no, got back from holiday and there it was, the dreaded red roof symbol and bonging sound . Back to the dealer and they could not find a code to work from so it`s a complete strip out and manual test and search to find the problem. As you might guess i am just a bit peeved at all this hassle and let them know it after they did not return my calls trying to get the car booked in. Pinged off an email to the dealer principal to let him know my annoyance at this and the seven new cars i`ve bought from them over the past 11 years and maybe i should go somewhere else in the future. Seemed to wake them up and now they are tripping over themselves to be as helpful as they can, even sorted out z4 demo for my use while they FIX my roof op problem. Can`t wait to hear what they find. On another note the zed i have on loan is a 2.3 sdrive maual box 18" wheels cloth trim and no toys, so different to my own in many ways but still has that certain something that makes these cars what they are. Special. !!!!
White e89 30i sdrive, Melbourne red e89 35is, 2021g29 sdrive 30i misano blue.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Roof Saga

Post by Maniac » Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 am

Sorry to hear about this, I've had issues only with creaking from the roof and that's sorted now. The amount of trips I've made due to this car has made me well known at the dealership I use. I do still like the car, but its changed from love to like and its really tarnished the BMW ownership experience. Not sure what brand I'd look at next... for now I'll be making the best use of the car for summer and see what other brand/models pop out of the bag at the end of the year.

rayz4

Post by rayz4 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 am

Know exactly what you mean maniac, only had it for a couple of months and 2k miles and i`m already thinking GTR or Porsche or.....................................................................................

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm

rayz4 wrote:Know exactly what you mean maniac, only had it for a couple of months and 2k miles and i`m already thinking GTR or Porsche or.....................................................................................
Not doing Porsche, everyone has one here in Manchester and Cheshire. Plus they're mental on running costs for what you get. The Z is a much better proposition at least around here. Its a definite no on the GTR as its Porsche costs * 2 and not at all practical for general use, they're a track car really. Unless you can afford 10mpg over lots of miles, then go for it.

No I think I'll be going back to normal cars, I've had my fun over the last many years. Time for something simpler and comfier. Save my sanity and my health!

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 pm

do they even do a 23i Z with a cloth interior? :o
no longer in a '09 BMW Z4 sDrive23i :( Now driving a F31 335xd :)

rayz4

Post by rayz4 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Understand your thoughts but recently i drove some GTR`s where i was working ( i`m self employed automotive BIW engineer) and just said to myself jeeezus i`ve got to have one of these one day even at these stupid costs. If you ever get the chance to try one you`ll know what i mean cause those things are completely bloody MENTAL. Think of the grin your z4 can put on your face after a good blast then multiply it x10 and your nearly there. Maddest car out there imo.

rayz4

Post by rayz4 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 pm

moonshine wrote:do they even do a 23i Z with a cloth interior? :o
Yep, quite comfy but much prefer the leather.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Maniac wrote:
rayz4 wrote:Know exactly what you mean maniac, only had it for a couple of months and 2k miles and i`m already thinking GTR or Porsche or.....................................................................................
Not doing Porsche, everyone has one here in Manchester and Cheshire. Plus they're mental on running costs for what you get. The Z is a much better proposition at least around here. Its a definite no on the GTR as its Porsche costs * 2 and not at all practical for general use, they're a track car really. Unless you can afford 10mpg over lots of miles, then go for it.

No I think I'll be going back to normal cars, I've had my fun over the last many years. Time for something simpler and comfier. Save my sanity and my health!
You could swap to a normal car and get just as many probs and have nowhere near as much fun. End of the day its pot luck. My 2001 Z3 has never missed a beat and my last two 1 Series have been great for build and reliability :) Having owned Audis, Vauxhalls and Peugeots I won't be straying from BMW again.

Tim.

Tim.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

True, but here in manchester a normal car is more palatable to insure and run. The 35i is insanely expensive to own here.