Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Comprehensive problem list

javierBayArea

Re: E89 Comprehensive problem list

Post by javierBayArea » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 am

E89 Model 35i DCT
2. 2009
3. red
4. white

The entire air conditioning/climate control failed today. Nothing happened when you turned the nobs or pressed the buttons, no lights anywhere, no error messages.

BMW says some electronic thing is busted and it will be replaced under warranty.

skillick

Post by skillick » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm

1. E89 Model: SDrive 3.0i M-Sport
2. Year / Reg: 2011/11
3. Colour exterior: Deep Sea Blue
4. Colour interior: Canberra Beige

5. Issues experienced:

5a. Issue description - Low Oil Pressure warning on iDrive. Replaced oil pressure regulator.
5b. Current status - Resolved.
5c. Warranty Claim? - Cost covered completely under warranty.
5d. Comments: BMW adamant that no further damage done to engine as "plenty of oil present in engine"

5a. Issue description - CD player not accepting CD's. Replaced CD drive and reprogrammed car.
5b. Current status - Resolved
5c. Warranty Claim? - Cost covered completely under warranty.
5d. Comments: Nil
2011 E89 sDrive30i M-Sport Highline in Deep Sea Blue with Canberra Beige Leather!

Dave-2912

Post by Dave-2912 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm

1. E89 Model: sDrive 20i M-Sport
2. Year/Reg: 2012/12
3. Colour exterior: Alpine (Recession) White
4. Colour interior: Coral Red

5. Issue experienced:

5a. Description: Audio playback from any USB stick would intermittantly fail, freezing the head unit and allowing no output from any source. Audio output would restart as randomly as it stopped. (Standard audio system, no idrive.)
5b. Current status: Resolved.
5c. Warranty Claim? - Cost covered completely under warranty. Issue fully resolved by fitting new headunit.
5d. Comments: Got the impression that the techs investigating the problem hadn't come across this failure before.

dario

Post by dario » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Pray tell. what is DTC lag?

mine does what i ask it to do, but would like to know what this is incase it's happening and i don't know.

Somes times i wish at junctions it didn't change down to 1st as its too low for a sedate take off IMHO. does that count.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Its likely you have the software update to minimise this. As I had an early car, I had this badly until they updated the DCT software. Essentially in certain circumstances, say approaching a junction, you'd be in D2 and hit the throttle and absolutely nothing would happen, for say 2-3 seconds, which if you're coasting out of a junction into oncoming traffic and expecting acceleration, feels like a very long time. During this time the DCT was going, er.. I'm too low on revs for D2, should I go D1, er... then eventually it would work it out and off you'd go. Newer software forces D1 early. Hence people feeling a clunk as there are still revs when D1 is engaged. This was BMWs workaround. I still get this from time to time, but it has to be a very specific set of circumstances, cool engine, low revs, rolling slowly, in D2 etc etc. Sport mode or manual gear selection avoids the issue as the revs are held higher in the gears. Many people may never notice it due to their driving patterns.

dario

Post by dario » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Maniac wrote:Its likely you have the software update to minimise this. As I had an early car, I had this badly until they updated the DCT software. Essentially in certain circumstances, say approaching a junction, you'd be in D2 and hit the throttle and absolutely nothing would happen, for say 2-3 seconds, which if you're coasting out of a junction into oncoming traffic and expecting acceleration, feels like a very long time. During this time the DCT was going, er.. I'm too low on revs for D2, should I go D1, er... then eventually it would work it out and off you'd go. Newer software forces D1 early. Hence people feeling a clunk as there are still revs when D1 is engaged. This was BMWs workaround. I still get this from time to time, but it has to be a very specific set of circumstances, cool engine, low revs, rolling slowly, in D2 etc etc. Sport mode or manual gear selection avoids the issue as the revs are held higher in the gears. Many people may never notice it due to their driving patterns.
thank you Maniac. that explains everything.

Chuffer

Post by Chuffer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Has anyone heard about the recall in America for the battery lead to the fuse box degrading over time and causing the engine to cut out. Does it apply to the European models?
It said it was E89's from 2009 to 2011. My local dealer said they were not aware of a recall at the moment.
Are all Z4's made in Germany or are some made in the US?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Yes, there's a thread I did on this. I contacted BMW UK and they told me this is not a recall here in the UK... yet at least.

Chuffer

Post by Chuffer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

:P thanks, seems to me the sort of problem that might not just apply in the U S then.
I have to say that the fuse board arrangement is not the best I've seen. It's pretty difficult to get to and check, I understand that being in the car is a more friendly environment than under the bonnet but access is silly really!

Sketchley

Post by Sketchley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Guess I should put mine here

1. 28i Msport Auto
2. 2013 / 13
3. Deep Sea Blue
4. Walnut Extended
5. Crackling and distortion through rear speakers even with hifi off (Pro Media and Pro Speaker Upgrade). Come and goes sometimes in left rear sometime right rear sometimes both. Initially only on start up but has got worse over time (3 days)
5a. BMW Dealer says faulty rear amp
5b. Amplifier replaced, no more distorion in rear. Issues with front speakers distorting (see other thread).
5c. Amplifier replaced at no cost to me although it took 6 week to deliver
5d. BMW Customer Services were useless in trying to speed up the delivery.
Last edited by Sketchley on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abientostyle

Post by abientostyle » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 am

2010 23i. The sensors went on the roof so it lost all positional sense and was stuck in the open position. Luckily close to BMW dealer and not raining.Was 4.45pm on a Friday. Given courtesy car and picked mine back up Monday. No hint of any problems before it happened (2012).Fixed on warranty and great support from dealer. Mechanic said "they had seen a few with this issue". Otherwise the car has been perfect over the 3 years of ownership.Only regret was not ordering the sports seats as the standard ones don`t give enough support on bends.Changing to the face-lifted model this weekend. Ordered in April! with Msport spec so get the seats.Was given one for an afternoon to try before I bought.Will miss the sound of the 6 cylinder changing from 1st to 2nd with the top down otherwise the new spec looks and feels good and even hit the 41+MPG without any trouble on a 1500 mile demo car (2.0i turbo not 2.8i).

Sketchley

Post by Sketchley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am

Sketchley wrote:Guess I should put mine here

1. 28i Msport Auto
2. 2013 / 13
3. Deep Sea Blue
4. Walnut Extended
5. Crackling and distortion through rear speakers even with hifi off (Pro Media and Pro Speaker Upgrade). Come and goes sometimes in left rear sometime right rear sometimes both. Initially only on start up but has got worse over time (3 days)
5b. Unresolved, worldwide back order of amps at BMW, rear amp disconected so no crackling currently but no rear speakers and I guess subs (need to check that tonight) either.
5c. All to be fixed at no cost to me
5d. Nothing to add except dealer is doing what I would expect. It's annoying but these thing happen. Dealer is looking to provide a sweatner as car was only 1 day old when problem occurred.

Problem now moving to front spekers. Dealer doing all they can. But BMW UK being rubbish when I finally got a response they were unable or unwilling to tell me when new amplifer will be delivered. It's been 18 days since fault diagnosed anbd part order and they still cannot tell me! They are blaming BMW Germany and a new parts ordering system for all the problems. Througouly ****** off by the whole thing. This was supposed to be my dream new car!!! This morning sent emil to BMW Group CEO, hopefully that will get somewhere......

Sketchley

Post by Sketchley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Sketchley wrote:
Sketchley wrote:Guess I should put mine here

1. 28i Msport Auto
2. 2013 / 13
3. Deep Sea Blue
4. Walnut Extended
5b. Unresolved, worldwide back order of amps at BMW, rear amp disconected so no crackling currently but no rear speakers and I guess subs (need to check that tonight) either.
5c. All to be fixed at no cost to me
5d. Nothing to add except dealer is doing what I would expect. It's annoying but these thing happen. Dealer is looking to provide a sweatner as car was only 1 day old when problem occurred.

Problem now moving to front spekers. Dealer doing all they can. But BMW UK being rubbish when I finally got a response they were unable or unwilling to tell me when new amplifer will be delivered. It's been 18 days since fault diagnosed anbd part order and they still cannot tell me! They are blaming BMW Germany and a new parts ordering system for all the problems. Througouly ****** off by the whole thing. This was supposed to be my dream new car!!! This morning sent emil to BMW Group CEO, hopefully that will get somewhere......

BMW are finally are delivering an amplifier to dealer this week. It's only 6 weeks since fault discovered. My dealings with BMW UK customer services have been less than ideal. Why it takes 6 week from order to get an amplifier I don't know! I had multiple exuses the latest being that it has to go through quality control, which is laughable as is the quality control was that detailed then the problem would have been found first time round....

Here's hoping that when fitted it gets rid of the problem and I can enjoy the car I paid for!

Sketchley

Post by Sketchley » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

Car is finnaly being fixed to today. Fault diagnosed 11th June and part ordered, delviered to dealer yesterday July 18th. 5 weeks and 2 days to deliver a part. Still have no idea why it took so long, BMW UK have been next to useless, but at least they are going to review a good will guesture for me, so that make it allright then!

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Overheard that BMW are having major parts delays as problems due to a change in their structuring in Germany, and some parts taking months and weeks to come thru...