Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

tapping/rattle from boot area

cjp2k

tapping/rattle from boot area

Post by cjp2k » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi guys I have a tapping/rattle noise which sounds like its from the boot.
Its only on rough roads and seems to be from behind the drivers seat area

Any Ideas, took the tool kit out and the battery cover and it still does it, also lubed the seals on the roof with no sucess,

Cheers

Chris
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

Z4 Beemer

Re: tapping/rattle from boot area

Post by Z4 Beemer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I' m guessing from your description it's only when the car is moving?
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Yeah sorry!, I cant really replicate it when stationary and pressing plastic inside, the closest I have found is the carpet next to the battery cover seems to be a bit loose and pressing that makes a similar noise,
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm

No need to apologise, :P it's just at idle I can occasionally hear what I've been told is a "flap" in the fuel tank tapping quietly as fuel is returned to the tank! It only happens at certain times which relate to the amount of fuel in the tank.

Could it be the side rear windows...? Try dropping them when driving to see if it makes a difference?

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:03 pm

tried dropping the window does not help,

dropping the roof stops it, so either the wind noise stops it, the roof is causing it or the roof in the boot dampens the noise in the boot....

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Could it be the roof tray in the boot?

Hard to diagnose when driving I know, but could it be something like headrest or interior roof panel trim, I.e something in the cabin... Seatbelt, or rear speaker?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 am

Put something heavy in the boot at various locations to see if that stops it and narrows down the area for you. If not, get some old sheets or curtains and start jamming them into various areas to pad them, see if that works. Failing that, put a very small person in the boot and go for a drive :roll:

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 am

Maniac wrote:Failing that, put a very small person in the boot and go for a drive :roll:
:rofl:

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:04 pm

I put some spare bricks we had lying around in the boot made no difference, think it "may" be coming from where the back window meets the parcel shelf area, I had the boot up and pressed the rubber seal and it made a similar noise!

Should I just turn up the stereo and forget or get the dealer to fix it, dont want more rattles!!!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:15 pm

I think thats the most common area for noise. I have it now but can't be bothered to stand in the cold to fix it.

Dealer is one option, but I find that changes in temperature cause the sounds, I had it fixed by the dealer in summer, now its colder, another noise is back.

I bought GummiPhledge and apply this to the seals and the flaps that hide the mechanicals in the boot. Does the trick for a few months...

Its amazing how much these cars cost and we feel it normal to have to lavish such attention on them to make them quiet. Won't be long before I'm back in a crappy brandname and I won't care then (in other words when the warranty runs out!).

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Agree that temperature and humidity can make a huge difference to things like this. I'm also a fan of gummi pfledge. I would be tempted to get a few bits of packaging foam, the soft squidgy stuff and try pushing that into where you think the noise is coming from, just to see if it stops things moving and stops the noise.

I also find that sometimes just opening and then closing the roof causes it to reseat itself and stops any creaking.

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Been to local dealer and they roadtested the noise,

Apparently its a known problem with the seatbelt area and no known fix, so they are calling me once BMW get a fix for it.

They have 3 other customers with the same problem, all new ish cars (July onwards) so at least they are playing with other peoples cars before they try to fix mine..currently stereo up LOUD :oops:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm

cjp2k wrote:Been to local dealer and they roadtested the noise,

Apparently its a known problem with the seatbelt area and no known fix, so they are calling me once BMW get a fix for it.

They have 3 other customers with the same problem, all new ish cars (July onwards) so at least they are playing with other peoples cars before they try to fix mine..currently stereo up LOUD :oops:
Interesting, I'll keep my eye on this thread as perhaps its not the boot/battery cover after all...

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Well quick update, seatbelt replaced still does it

Its coming from the rear deck I am 99% Sure, I drove with the roof half up and the rear deck inthe Open postion and it seems to stop it, so more than likely just an adjustment needed!

Back in Next week lets see what happens