Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Failure - Please contact BMW Immediately

ryukin

Re: Engine Failure - Please contact BMW Immediately

Post by ryukin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 am

Hi all, sorry for not getting back on here sooner! Thanks for all your replies and advice. I was told by a bmw technician that the z4 has a saddle tank and uses fuel from one side before a pump kicks in to transfer fuel over from the other side. He said the pump isn't transferring as much fuel as it should and my fuel gauge also needs re-callibrating. Basically, I need to take it in to the dealer. And you're right - it is under warranty (woohoo!) so will be a free fix. The original warranty ran out in May but I didn't realise you get a year's warranty with an AUC :oops: So, panic over.

That said, is 48 miles really that low? I never purposefully drive with a low amount of fuel and I fill up regularly, but in the 3 years that I owned my old zed there were a couple times on long unplanned drives that the fuel gauge went below 10 miles and it never cut out.

You'd think the gauge should be a little more accurate than being 50 miles out.

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:08 pm

its just a calculated approximation based on current mpg stats the computer has made up, isnt it? I always calculate this myself anyway, working out what percentage of the fuel guage remains, how much that is in gallons, how many miles I need to travel and what mpg I think I will achieve..

Personally I try to fill up well before the white line on my cars and if possible at 1/4 tank. Primarily because I drive two much older cars (19 and 23 respectively) and dont want sludge / gunge / rust getting into the fuel line. I'm not saying these are there in the tank but why take the risk?

EdP

Post by EdP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 pm

ryukin wrote:He said the pump isn't transferring as much fuel as it should and my fuel gauge also needs re-callibrating.
ryukin, did your fuel pump made strange noises before this issue occured?

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:35 am

EdP wrote:
ryukin wrote:He said the pump isn't transferring as much fuel as it should and my fuel gauge also needs re-callibrating.
Not that I noticed, why?

EdP

Post by EdP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm

ryukin wrote:
EdP wrote:
Not that I noticed, why?
One of the common E89 problems is the low pressure fuel pump, starting to make strange noises.
I have had replaced mine because the hum noise was quiet loud. The pump was still working properly, except the noise.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 pm

ryukin wrote: The original warranty ran out in May but I didn't realise you get a year's warranty with an AUC :oops:
:o :!:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Errrrrrrrm....... the E89 was only launched in May 2009 so all of them should be within the 3 years factory warranty. :?
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

jaz4

Post by jaz4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 am

well once its calibraed it should be ok. still think its pants

if the fuel gage showns above a few points on the gauge should be ok

saying that i had a tt for 3 months before i go a full refund (long story and I would never ever have a tt or audi. Anyway the gauge states 1/3 the computer said ur out, and 3 miles from home and down a country road it died. needed a new head unit was on wathdog uk as out of wty was £600+ to replace, forge about sensors and pumps it was a faulty gauge and needed a compete computer head unit. mine was only 2 yrs and under wty,
03 2.5 SE Fully loaded
06 2.5 Si Sports
08 2.5 Si Sports
10 30i Drive Auto
62 28i M Sport

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote:Errrrrrrrm....... the E89 was only launched in May 2009 so all of them should be within the 3 years factory warranty. :?
Really? I bought it from a BMW dealership and they told me it only had 2 years warranty from new. Maybe he needs to be trained a little better...

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:06 pm

ryukin wrote:
Z4 Beemer wrote:Errrrrrrrm....... the E89 was only launched in May 2009 so all of them should be within the 3 years factory warranty. :?
Really? I bought it from a BMW dealership and they told me it only had 2 years warranty from new. Maybe he needs to be trained a little better...
sounds like he was talking from his back-side

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/servic ... V0,00.html

realistically you should be getting an extra year warranty free of charge! as all AUC's come with 1 year warranty.