Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone heard of this problem?

bazzae123

Anyone heard of this problem?

Post by bazzae123 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Guy's,

It's happened twice now so its booked in for a check up on Tuesday. After leaving the car safely locked up in the garage over night I return in the morning to find both doors unlocked and all the windows wide open, also the red LED on the open roof button is flashing. Its not to bad as its garaged overnight but if it was sitting in some car park I wouldn't be to happy to find it this way. I just wondered if anybody else has experienced this or heard of it before.

Thanks

Bazza
Mineral White sDrive35iS DCT Coral Red Kansas leather

Nickm

Re: Anyone heard of this problem?

Post by Nickm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Sure you didn't sit on the key? I've done it a couple of times

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Nickm wrote:Sure you didn't sit on the key? I've done it a couple of times
No mate, I never keep the keys in my pocket, I had thought about that possibility but would that explain why the open roof button shows an error! The only other thing is it has never happened during the day while I'm at work, only while it's in the garage. I'm really not sure whats going on here and I don't think BMW will find it that easily, going on my experience of the faulty boot switch.
Watch this space, I'll let you know the findings after Tuesday.

Bazza

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:14 am

If u press and hold the open button on the key until the windows drop then release it the red roof error light/switch in the car does flash to tell you it's stopped halfway through the operation. It does on mine anyhow.

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Maniac wrote:If u press and hold the open button on the key until the windows drop then release it the red roof error light/switch in the car does flash to tell you it's stopped halfway through the operation. It does on mine anyhow.

That's a good point and I was thinking about that today when I was washing the car as Nickm had asked if I catch the key at all. The only problem with this theory is the key never leaves my hand until I put it onto the sideboard after I've entered my house. This problem has me stumped so I'll have to wait and see what BMW have to say, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bazza

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:34 am

Do you have a neighbour with a BMW?

Could be a faulty key that has been crushed previously.

You dont have an automatic garage opener do you? if so, what frequency is it on ?

if you have access to a high quality scanner, then you can see if there are any spurious transmissions that are causing this.

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:22 pm

iwatchlive wrote:Do you have a neighbour with a BMW?

Could be a faulty key that has been crushed previously.

You dont have an automatic garage opener do you? if so, what frequency is it on ?

if you have access to a high quality scanner, then you can see if there are any spurious transmissions that are causing this.
Great minds think alike :D I've been wondering that myself after BMW couldn't find anything wrong, I didn't expect they would. There isn't any other BMW's near me, well the nearest I know of is about 100 meters away, and I don't have a auto garage door. I have a video sender at home but thats running in the 5Ghz range so I wouldn't have thought that could be an issue, but you never know. I reckon it could be some form of external interference as it's only happened while in my garage and not at work where the car sits for longer periods. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.

Bazza

SuZ4

Post by SuZ4 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Just a thought, a couple of years ago we had trouble in our street with alarms going off and remote keys not working properly, never really got to the bottom of it but someone said it was some equipment at the doctors surgery (at the end of the street) on the same frequency :? It was happening just a couple of times a week over a period of time but eventually stopped. So none the wiser but food for thought on the frequency thingy.

Corrie Phil
- Silver Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - CB Aerial & Michelin PS3's

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:51 pm

Not near a mobile phone mast or police station are you?
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 am

Whilst drooling over the E89 brochures I remember reading about the comfort access pack with keyless proximity functions to open the car, and it knows when the key is in the car and wont let you lock yourself out, just a thought.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guy's, it's much appreciated.

Bazza

jshamah

Post by jshamah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:00 pm

As a side issue: Be careful when leaving keys on the sideboard. Its a common place and thieves with intent to steal your beloved Z4 will look in all the obvious places first. I lost my first Z4 with less than 100 miles on the clock. (that is less than official delivery mileage!) - They broke in and went for the sideboard!

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:29 pm

It depends on whether you want someone looking round your house whilst your asleep, or would rather them just take the car and leave.

If you don't want a confrontation of finding someone in your bedroom waking you up and all that may imply, one suggestion is to leave the keys out the way of hands through letterboxes, but certainly visible enough that they dont start raiding your bedroom.

If your happy that you can defend yourself, hide the keys.

Was an interesting piece of advice I heard.
----------------
Z4 sDrive20i
----------------