Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlights aimed too low?

cwotoddgood

Headlights aimed too low?

Post by cwotoddgood » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:16 am

Good evening everyone!

Let me start by saying how much I have enjoyed the Z4-forum and all the great posts here! I check in daily.

My lovely wife and I are the proud owners of a beautiful 2010 sDrive35i but I get the sense the headlights are aimed too low and possibly too far left. It's a funny problem in that it only seems noticeable above 35 mph. Annoying nevertheless!

Also worth mentioning that the car is equipped with the adaptive lights that assist in curves.....nifty feature!

Does anyone have any info and/or pictures on raising the aim on the 2010 models?

Thanks in advance,
Army Chief
Thanks,

Army Chief

2010 sDrive35i - Crimson Red

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlights aimed too low?

Post by Maniac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 am

I don't think too many people have adaptive lights. Personally, I wouldn't touch them, I'd have a dealer do it just in-case you muck something up. On my non adaptive lights, there's a plastic nut that can be rotated to set the lights baseline. If you have the same, you could try that, but again, the dealer should know how/be insured if they muck up/have a lighting template to ensure they're set correctly. Equally, it might not be adjustment, it might be faulty and require dealer work anyhow...

cwotoddgood

Post by cwotoddgood » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Maniac, thanks for the reply! Where is the "plastic nut" you reference? I'll at least have a look and see if mine is similar.

Best Regards,
Thanks,

Army Chief

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 am

The nuts on my lights are White so easy to see against the black plastic light units themselves. Right on the top if you look straight down on the lights from above.

JBBY

Post by JBBY » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi

I had this same problem, turns out that the levelling sensor bracket was faulty, this is inside the rear bumper.

Dealer fixed under warranty.

Not nice driving over 30mph with the lights pointing down the ways.

JB
Z4 35i

cwotoddgood

Post by cwotoddgood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:17 am

JB,

Thanks for the tip. I will have the dealer check the leveling sensors: oemparts shows one in the rear bumper and one in the front. I'll post a follow up on if one of them is the culprit!

Have a great weekend!
Thanks,

Army Chief

cwotoddgood

Post by cwotoddgood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:02 am

Good evening All,

So the dealer checked the leveling sensors and said they were okay; mechanical adjustment of the headlights did the trick and I have to admit it is exponentially better driving at night now!
Thanks,

Army Chief