Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Now my turn on the 296 Wheel of Fortune

Buckie

Now my turn on the 296 Wheel of Fortune

Post by Buckie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:47 am

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased my friends 2010 sDrive 35i (he traded up to a Ferrari California) and i'm loving just about everything to do with with this car.

I got on the boards and had a read when I noticed reoccurring posts about cracked 296 wheels! I took your advise, and over weekend dropped off and
inspected my wheels only to find that BOTH rears are cracked. This is a car that has only done 14,000 km's in 18 months and not driven hard at all.
It's all very disappointing :cry:

The car is now with BMW Sydney so here we go. I'm ready for a fight as I feel this SHOULD be a warranty issue and after what I've read here
it is certainly a known issue. I'll Keep you posted and let you know how it turns out.
Last edited by Buckie on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 sDrive 35i (now with two new... no, one of those cracked as well, now with one new design) 296 V spoke wheels and all the bells and whistles

Buckie

Re: Now my turn on the 296 Wheel of Fortune

Post by Buckie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 am

2010 sDrive 35i (now with two new... no, one of those cracked as well, now with one new design) 296 V spoke wheels and all the bells and whistles

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:39 am

Sorry to hear about the wheels...let us know how you get on mate

roofless

Post by roofless » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 am

go get em! :thumbsup:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 am

Good luck, just had mine replaced under warranty :thumbsup: and hope you manage to get them sorted without hassle.
Alpine White sDrive35i with Ivory White Exclusive Nappa leather, 7sdct auto, V spoke 296's and now a smart top !

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

zebedee wrote:Good luck, just had mine replaced under warranty :thumbsup: and hope you manage to get them sorted without hassle.
Due to cracking?

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 pm

srhutch wrote:
zebedee wrote:Good luck, just had mine replaced under warranty :thumbsup: and hope you manage to get them sorted without hassle.
Due to cracking?
Yep, did all of the required tests and apparently found the wheels were not out of round so replaced under warranty.

Got some for sale now as I erred on the side of caution and bought some but pleasantly surprised when the job was sorted courtesy of BMW so don't need them now.
Alpine White sDrive35i with Ivory White Exclusive Nappa leather, 7sdct auto, V spoke 296's and now a smart top !

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm

With the cracks shown in the above photos does this cause them to lose pressure?

Bazza
Mineral White sDrive35iS DCT Coral Red Kansas leather

Buckie

Post by Buckie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 am

bazzae123 wrote:With the cracks shown in the above photos does this cause them to lose pressure?

Bazza
Hi Bazza,

No, the wheels haven't been losing pressure. The only reason decided to check the rims was the repeated posts on this forum complaining
about cracks. Really glad I did!

J.

Buckie

Post by Buckie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:50 am

Good News,

BMW Sydney have just phoned to say BMW will replace the rims under warranty :thumbsup:

The only down side is that the two rear tyres need to be replaced at AUD$650 ea.(£430.00 ea). Had
expected this as the wheel alignment had been out and the inside edge of each tyre was completely
worn. Still makes for an expensive trip to BMW.

J.

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Buckie,

:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum

FYI- the inside edge will always wear down far faster due to the reverse camber the wheels have. They are designed this way, its not a tracking, balance or alignment issue. If you search posts for more info you on this fact will find it.

Glad to hear your wheel issue is sorted though, great news

Regards - IWL :crazydude:

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Sods law, I was just driving down to my local fitter to ask about fitting my set of Vredestein that I took of my 3 series to my E89 296's when my tyre warning message came up. Whilst it was on the ramp I checked all four for cracks. Yes, you're got it. The one that was reported as low pressure had these two little babies on the rim.

I phoned the dealer and I'm waiting to speak with the sales guy. Hopefully things will go my way but I'm not holding my breath.

Bazza
Mineral White sDrive35iS DCT Coral Red Kansas leather

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:18 pm

I know iwatch has a game plan but can't we just call Watchdog, I am sure they would love to rip another arsehole in BMW......

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 am

Hey Nick & all
It's really up to you as to what you do buddy, go ahead and talk to watchdog if you want –

FYI I have had the second cracked wheel replaced under warranty and have just been told that the first one that cracked (which cost me in £££'s) is now covered under warranty, :crazydude: so I expect they will be giving me a refund???
It's important to note that as well as two new rear 19" 296's I have had two tyres replaced as well, (at £400 a piece) all of which I am not expecting BMW to want to pay, however I do not see this as good enough myself, along with the rather costly venture of having KDS geometry check up too, all of which I feel BMW UK should be coughing up for. Add this to the other long list of issues I and many others have experienced and the historical evidence of cracking BMW wheels in other non Zeds BMW's too & there is a picture starting to be painted (we all know that at least this is how a judge would probably deem it if this continues into litigation)

I have run this through our QC already and he is very confident of a win on this if we decide to move on it, especially with the history and evidence we have, but action is a lengthy matter and common sense & experience dictates that we should give BMW UK a chance to rectify this to our approval before taking action, so I am happy to give it a go first.

So BMW UK, if you are listening...

I am very unhappy with the fact that the BMW 296 wheels are not fit for purpose and are clearly a serious safety issue. You will see that there are many other drivers / forum members that feel the same that have also had serious issues with these wheels; clearly this is why you have pulled the wheels from sale and have redesigned them, isn't it? Why have they not been recalled then?

I am unhappy having any of the old versions of the 296 design wheels left on my vehicle at all and expect the two front ones to be replaced with the new design Free of charge with no question.

I also expect compensation for the direct costs I have been subjected to (wheels, KDS, Tyres, Tyres, etc etc) due to the faults with these wheels.

It would also be advisable for you to offer some form of good will gesture to make up for the associated inconvenience these issues have caused not to mention the loss of business due to re-scheduling appointments with customers every time I get another cracked wheel / flat tyre / etc. etc.

I hope that you do in fact want my continued custom and do not want to lose any more customers over this issue and expect you would prefer us to not be considering switching to your competitors.
I hope you are genuinely sorry for not only the hassle we have endured due to faulty & dangerous wheels but also the associated loss of use that entails when this happens to us.
I expect you genuinely want to restore my faith in your brand which to be honest is not at its peak right now, due to this and other issues I and many others have experienced / are still experiencing.

So come on BMW UK, here's your chance to respond publicly before you have to respond in writing to the papers coming to you this week.

regards

IWL

Buckie

Post by Buckie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Good luck IWL, I hope BMW UK are listening.

Thanks as well, I did a search on rear wheel tyre wear and the results were again fascinating. It there some link between uneven tyre wear and cracked rims??
The service guy here at BMW Sydney has blamed both directly on under inflated tyres. I've only owned the car for 5 weeks so I can't vouch for the tyre
pressures for the past year but I will certainly be keeping a VERY close eye on them now. I don't plan on going through this all again (good luck you laugh and say).

The good news here is I had BMW put Perilli P-Zero RFT's on the back and, with the wheel alignment, they have transformed the car. It's an absolute pleasure
to drive now and I'm even more in love with this car :thumbsup:

J