Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ongoing Problems

djtex

Ongoing Problems

Post by djtex » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:18 am

I've had my car for 2 1/2 months now and it's spent over 2 weeks in the garage in that time. I love the car, it really is fantastic, but have just been too many problems. It's now in the garage for the 7th time.

So far I have had two dashboard rattles fixed, one that necessitated replacement of the sat Nav screen. They have tried 3 times to fix the dancing windows problems, still with no fix in sight. Interestingly I now have a loan Z4 which also has this problem, I know it's not the end of the world but it really shouldn't happen on any car let alone at this price point.

Too compound things further one of the dealers I've used managed to damage the interior, so I've had to have new aluminium trim on the centre console, a new gear knob (on back order) and new roof and heated seat switches as all were damaged.

The worst problem is the alarm that goes off in the rain, that I mentioned in a previous thread. Other are now having their 3rd look at this, and as yet still haven't even understood what is causing it, can't re-create it despite me passing on advice from here, and with the weather we've had recently it became intolerable. So I've just told them I don't want it back until it is properly fixed, but I have literally zero confidence.

Has anyone else also had a string of problems, I know they are not hugely serious like an engine failure or anything, but it simply isn't good enough. Seeing that I'm paying a lot of money for this car and for 20% of the time I've had it hasn't been here, do you think I'm entitled to at least some compensation? The shine has most certainly started to come off, which I really didn't want to happen.

I'll be interested in all your thoughts?
Cheers

Jonathan

Nickm

Re: Ongoing Problems

Post by Nickm » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 am

Jonathan, I would feel the same, apart from the cracked wheel issue, which is piss pot poor, mine has been pretty much ok. I think you're doing the right thing, telling them to keep it until it's all been fixed.

Mine goes it for it's first service, and new brake pads, and for the first time ever, I have no issues to report to them to sort when the car is in there...and that's quite unusual.

In terms of your issues, perhaps log a call with customer services to monitor the situation with your car while it is with the dealer.

Hope it all works out ok.....

djtex

Post by djtex » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks Nick. For sure the cracked wheel problem must be a nightmare, hard to believe they don't want to help at all with it.

I have flagged with Customer Services, so we'll see what happens. I shan't be holding by breath though sadly.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 am

Sorry to hear about your issues and hope they get sorted. Yes I think you deserve some recompense here. Have you recorded all the issues and made a formal complaint in writing. There's a link in my signature that offers some advice on how to do this to ensure you get what you deserve - a working Zed you can enjoy and have confidence in and some recompense.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 pm

That link on Alan J sig is really good and some good pointers there :thumbsup:

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 pm

:headbang:
Last edited by Kryton on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roofless

Post by roofless » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Had a few problems which i've documented elsewhere but 33,000 miles and prety much ok. As for dancing windows, this is my 3rd BMW convertible i've had from new and all of them had window issues. First one had a window motor replaced beyond that nothing helpful from BMW.
Good luck :thumbsup:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

djtex

Post by djtex » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks for the best wishes guys, much appreciated. I had an update today to say the they think they have fixed both issues, but are keeping the car longer to be sure they have it sorted. Time will tell I guess.

Windows - System re-programmed as per the last three times they've looked at it, but also now some sort of addition to the wiring loom. Don't know more than that.

Alarm - Addition of foil to the doors to drop the sensitivity of the inboard Microwave detector, this has been apparently picking up water movement inside the doors. The foil should artificially turn down the sensitivity.

Hoping to have the car back in time for the weekend, not sure I can take much more of the Auto 23i they have given me. The gearbox is greadful, but infitinetly better than the boggo 1 series they've given me thus far.

I'll let you know what happens next.

ChawenHalo

Post by ChawenHalo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 am

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hope its all sorted for your weekend; By the sounds of it your dealer is full of goodwill. It amaizing to think with so many car built there is still a tolerance that a certain percentage (say 0.2) will absolute dogs.

Never had this with a Beemer, but I remember having loads of trouble with an A4 which just made highly critical of the brand. :thumbsdown:
Z4MC. ACS CF diffuser silencers side skits. Pagid RS29 & Goodridge. Gruppe M Bilstein B16PSS10 H&R ARBS. Delage Sport chassis. MPS2. Audi A8 4.2TDI 2008 runabout.

djtex

Post by djtex » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:13 pm

An update for you, I got my car back on Thursday last week and the window problem now seems resolved which is good. Haven't been able to test the alarm as we've had no rain but fingers crossed that's ok. I now have the return of rattle that had supposedly been fixed which is coming from behind the key slot. This will mean an 8th trip to the garage since taking delivery.

I'm really getting to the stage where I can't take it any more, I love the car, bu the number of issues is really starting to taint and tarnish the experience. I have now written to the dealer with chapter and verse about what has gone on, so we'll see what they say.

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:53 am

< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

djtex

Post by djtex » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm

It's been a while since I've updated this, but sadly I'm not at the end of the problems yet. Since I last wrote, I've had more issues with rattles, a water leak and corroded brake calipers. In fact I've had a complete rebuild of the dashboard, but it still makes too much noise for my liking. The car goes back again next saturday, thus far I've received a cheque for £600 as compensation, and free tyre insurance from the dealer that damaged my car. But somehow I've lost faith in the car as a product. I love driving it, but I'm always waiting for the next problem. All the guys at the dealership have been great which makes me feel bad complaining, but sadly the car isn't right. I think I have now made 12-15 visits to the dealer since I took delivery, and the car has spent not far off 6 weeks off the road.

I'm starting to think what my options are moving forward, but am not really sure how to play it. At what point can I ask for a replacement or a refund? Or should i push for more in terms of compensation. None of these issues are that serious, but really should i have to put up with it all on a 45k car? I've listed the problems I've had below....

Rattle from sat Nav screen - screen replaced (3 visits)
Alarm going off in rain - fixed (3 visits)
Dancing windows -fixed (4 visits)
Water leak - door/window seals replaced (1 visit) don't know if fixed yet.
Corroded brake calipers - repainted (1 visit)
Rattle from near key slot - fixed (2visits)
Rattle from interior lights - not fixed (1 visit)
Dashboard noises/rattles - (3-4 visits) still too much noise

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Doesn't sound good. The calipers are pants, all it takes is a decent factory finish. It seems like the rattles are proving very difficult to cure.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 pm

djtex wrote:... But somehow I've lost faith in the car as a product. I love driving it, but I'm always waiting for the next problem. ...I'm starting to think what my options are moving forward, but am not really sure how to play it. At what point can I ask for a replacement or a refund? Or should i push for more in terms of compensation. None of these issues are that serious, but really should i have to put up with it all on a 45k car? ...
I feel for you. I too have been blessed by a Friday build car. Though its taken many visits, and no doubt massive sums of money to the dealer through warranty claims, most of my issues are resolved. Unfortunately like you, its tarnished the experience. I too love my car, but spurn many office jokes about BMW build quality being a joke. One last dash rattle, and an intermittent drive train vibration in 1st and reverse and she'll be tip top... probably right at the point I want to sell it. :headbang:

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Mines been quite good but I have had a couple of problems. The early fuel pump problem (fixed under warranty), the shelf that you move in the boot when the roof goes down (front lip un-bonded it's self. Fixed under warranty).

I have a new problem that's being looked at Friday. I have the comfort opening, so you touch under the door handle to lock the car when the key is in your pocket. Doing this on the passenger door, it was locking then instantly unlocking again! Now it doesn't lock at all. Still OK with the key fob and the driver’s door.
:?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)