Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Misting headlamps and rear lights

jamesk3

Misting headlamps and rear lights

Post by jamesk3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm on my second new-style Z4. Second because the first was plagued with issues. BMW were kind enough to admit defeat and swap my car for another of the same spec. The original had headlamps which misted with condensation in damp conditions. The new one has a rear lamp which does the same.

Is this a known issue? Has this caused a recall and are the dealers replacing lamps which are effected?

I presume the lights should be a sealed unit.

James

shambolic

Re: Misting headlamps and rear lights

Post by shambolic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I and a few others on here have had both full rear light clusters changed due to water in them. Two inches in my case.
There is also a "quality enhancement" okay recall! :rofl: for water ingress in boot to do with rear vents on bumper. As electrics live in boot I'd get this seen to asap :thumbsup:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

jamesk3

Post by jamesk3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Booked in for Thursday, thanks Shambolic.

jamesk3

Post by jamesk3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Had the lights changed today without any issues from my dealer. Cheers once again for the advice.

Other new owners - keep an eye out for misting (condensation) on the inside of your lamps after rain or a wash.

jshamah

Post by jshamah » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I was told that it was a design fault on the sealed units that has now been rectified. I guess that it is pretty common as the spare light fittings were in short supply when my rear lights were changed for the same reason.

The fault also manifests itself as an intermittent lamp failure, as the moisture sloshes around the unit.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 am

my ist E89 had the rears replaced. Then my new 2011 iS had its rear clusters replaced and today I have noticed that the off side rear cluster has water droplets.

Looks like there is an ongoing issue with these clusters.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:57 pm

By the time I'm finished with the quality issues on the e89, I'll have had enough parts replaced for it to qualify as a new vehicle! Passenger rear lamp failed today (indicator shorting/water ingress). In at Williams tomorrow for it to be replaced. No issue on the drivers side interestingly.

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm away out to check mine again as they were replaced over a year ago now :poke:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Funnier than a bag of bunnies... I've just collected the car, and the new lamp cluster on the passenger rear looks a different colour to the old one on the drivers rear! Now I know there might be some fade, but its like clear and shiny on the new lamp and smoked on the old in comparison. Good job they know me well (unfortunately) and have agreed to change the other now... back in again next week. This car has more holidays and spa treatments than me!