Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Right Rear Turn Signal

mac-z4

Right Rear Turn Signal

Post by mac-z4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Does anyone have knowledge on the design and replacement of the lamp(s) for the rear turn signal for the 2011 Z4. Yesterday a warning message was displayed on the dash console indicating an external light malfunction and the right rear turn single is very dim. The owners manual indicates the turn signal lamps are LED technology and you should contact your BMW Service Center. Is this simply a bulb are two that needs replaced? Can this be done by someone who is reasonably techically competent?
Thanks

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Right Rear Turn Signal

Post by AlanJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Is this covered by the warranty...?
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 am

I would safely say you have water in your rear lense. It's a common fault (look for droplets at the bottom of the cluster)

This is a warranty issue and BMW still seem to be selling cars with faulty rear light clusters.

Both my E89's have had this problem and both sorted under warranty.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 am

BMW's have indicators :o

I'd say anything which has an manufactures expected lifetime of over 10k hours is covered by a warranty (such as factory Xenons)

We have had a few Audi A5's at work which needed new LED drl's as they died within 3 years.

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Funny that, My rear left one has just gone today, light in clusters all right

mac-z4

Post by mac-z4 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks to all for the quick response. I visted the BMW dealer on Friday. They will be replacing the right rear light cluster/assembly under warranty. Apparently the LED lights for the turn signal are an integral part of the light cluster/bezel not just a light or series of light bulbs. Seems like poor design engineering to me. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on the final outcome.