Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Return of the water spots

Z4andy

Return of the water spots

Post by Z4andy » Sat May 14, 2011 1:47 am

I have already had a bad experience with my last E89 (DSB) with water spots.

Dealer sorted this a couple of times under warranty (needing bodyshop attention) but in the end the iS was released and I changed the car.

After debating possible future paint issues with the new car, the dealer gave me a raft of BMW care products this time around and told me to use those only and I have done so.

Yesterday in this showery weather, my Melbourne red iS has developed hundreds of tiny water spots in the lacquer. There are some big ones too. It is the same problem I had with my 23i only difference being there is more of them but not as noticable.

I'm really pissed off about this. I usually have the car covered but it was too windy to leave the cover on with the thunder storms.

Back to the dealer on Monday then.

And before anyone asks they do not come out with vinegar or machine polishing :headbang: The last car was taken to the Bodyshop after the BMW "rep" had a look and provided the dealer with info on the fix. Apparently this fix involves heating the lacquer.

So if your car is caught in a shower followed by hot sun check your paint.

powerontap

Re: Return of the water spots

Post by powerontap » Sat May 14, 2011 1:51 am

not good, not good at all...sorry to hear you've had the same problem with both, unnaceptable IMO :thumbsdown: I can't believe BMW is having such problems with clearcoats, specially with products like PPG's Nano clearcoat available (all Mercedes use it)
Go Topless

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 am

My paint is covered in them I've just accepted it now as they keep coming back :headbang:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat May 14, 2011 10:09 am

Have you got any pictures of these Andy, I think I have got something similar on my ///M, but almost entirely on the bonnet. Might try and take a pic later.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sat May 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm really puzzled by this... I remember your previous posts about your old Z4, but honestly can't say I've ever noticed this on mine. I live right on the river, so tend to get a lot of white salt marks from time to time, but the paint always washes and dries clean.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Sat May 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Will get some pics up hopefully tomorrow. I have some pics from the last car somewhere as well.

The spots look like tiny etches in the lacquer. Today when there was some sun and I looked closely, I could see that the car is covered by 1000's of tiny etches and a few larger ones.

They are everywhere including the bumpers. You would hardly notice these marks unlike my last car but they are there.

I also have a paint run in the front bumper and several dust nibs on the roof, bonnet and drivers door :thumbsdown:.

Z4andy

Post by Z4andy » Tue May 31, 2011 2:14 pm

Bit of an update on this.....

left the car with them for an hour....

Dealer says they can see the larger spots and will address them, however the light wasn't good enough to show them the smaller etches so they want me to bring the car back on a sunny day :roll:

As for the dust nibs..... They brought the head guy from the body shop up and he says he can remove them all bar the one on the door which he claims needs paint :cry: I think I could live with it as long as the lacquer wont break around the dust nib.

For the water spots I have asked them to get onto BMW and find out WTF we can do to stop this from happening and the first bright day i'm down there and going to speak to all direct.

lazerium

Post by lazerium » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Are they definitely water spots? I've had similar marks on my DSB and managed to removed them using AutoGlym tar remover.

I think they were actually caused by tree sap, the sap washed off but left circular marks in the laquer which I think was actually some kind of resdue/reaction with the lacquer, the tar remover seems to have removed them completely.
Soon: 2021- G29 M40i, Sapphire Black & Black
Gone: 2010-2016 E89 23i, DSB & Ivory White
Gone: 2007-2010 E85 3.0si, Carbon Black

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Try this....

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys- ... rers_id=16

Poorboys is a seriously good product

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Defo weird water spots. I've had a few lately when using windscreen scooshers in sunny weather and the bits that lie on the bonnet leave a mark :thumbsdown:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!