Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'Dancing' Windows - There IS a new fix!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 'Dancing' Windows - There IS a new fix!

Post by Maniac » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:53 pm

The reason the widows come down is indeed because anti trap has been triggered. The issue here is that the anti trap is too sensitive and triggers too easily. The fix some have had with the relays avoids a power spike (which is how the anti trap senses) which means they all close correctly.

IMHO your dealer should not have charged you for this if the car is under warranty as it is a known issue albeit minor.

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:49 pm

update:

i took the car back to the dealer with the info from Maniac and explained that I had counted at least 8 other forum members with the same problem, 4 of whom had had remedial work done under warranty. The dealer said that they couldn't get anything from the numbers above :slaphead: but it did prompt them to contact BMW UK, which resulted in them changing some relays (which sounds similar to the fix others have had) under warranty.

They are also going to refund me the £170 they charged for the diagnosis and re-initialisation of the windows.

So well done Hexagon for doing the right thing.

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 am

Good result. I'm surprised the dealer didn't "poo-poo" the forum advice though, thats what mine is currently doing to me.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:02 am

Glad I could help in some small way.

dario

Post by dario » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

went and booked mine in to the stealers today and made it clear that there WAS a fix for the rebounding windows, The service advisor was a little clueless so went and check it out with somebody. He came back to advise that a reprogramming / reset of the systems was required and if that did not work, then if that fix did not work, there were new parts that would be needed inside the doors and adjacent to the widow motors.

So no timing delay relay mod.........

bigendbob

Post by bigendbob » Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Strange, my 09 23i main windows close and the small follow about a second later, probably about 1or 2 inch difference in travel.

dario

Post by dario » Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 am

bigendbob wrote:Strange, my 09 23i main windows close and the small follow about a second later, probably about 1or 2 inch difference in travel.

I'll get to the bottom of it, but i'm a little perturbed that as usual we the users know more than the dealers....... as usual.

griwiross

Post by griwiross » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 am

Hi there, wonder if anyone can help me with my windows???? I have a 2009 which every morning after I press the unlock button for the doors my passenger front window dances 4 or 5 times then my drivers front window a couple of times then back to the passenger for a couple more then a finale from the drivers one. They never seem to dance in time which is the frustrating thing!!!! The other thing is that this ONLY happens first thing in the morning and never after that. At first the workshop thought it might have been the roof module but as the windows dance independantly they aren't convinced. Now and again the window will not drop when the door is opened which after the first time I now watch out for as the door just does not like to be closed with window fully up :o Has anyone come across this as having read the various threads it seems to be different from what you are talking about here. Any help much appreciated!!!

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm

griwiross wrote:Hi there, wonder if anyone can help me with my windows???? I have a 2009 which every morning after I press the unlock button for the doors my passenger front window dances 4 or 5 times then my drivers front window a couple of times then back to the passenger for a couple more then a finale from the drivers one. They never seem to dance in time which is the frustrating thing!!!! The other thing is that this ONLY happens first thing in the morning and never after that. At first the workshop thought it might have been the roof module but as the windows dance independantly they aren't convinced. Now and again the window will not drop when the door is opened which after the first time I now watch out for as the door just does not like to be closed with window fully up :o Has anyone come across this as having read the various threads it seems to be different from what you are talking about here. Any help much appreciated!!!
The only advise I can offer is to film them 'dancing' on your phone & use that as the evidence with the garage
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

dario

Post by dario » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:42 pm

had my E89 in to the dealers for a couple of days for them to sort out the "bouncing windows".

They said that all windows had been adjusted and checked and that the software had been re-flashed. I said we will see.

Strangely i asked them about the so called modification that is being fitted to some members cars. They claim no knowledge of any new mods. So if a forum member has the details of the mod, i would be most obliged if you could post up the details or technical bulletin.

Meanwhile mine is now worse that it was.

made all the worse because i have the smartop module fitted and its rather nice to put the roof up as your walking away from the car! Now i have to hang around to see it the poxy window has rolled itself down!!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 pm

That's not exclusive to the E89, I'm frequently having to reset the windows after the roof has cycled. It's the anti trap mechanism, but no idea how it works. I'm assuming motor load vs where it expects the window to be.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

dario

Post by dario » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:That's not exclusive to the E89, I'm frequently having to reset the windows after the roof has cycled. It's the anti trap mechanism, but no idea how it works. I'm assuming motor load vs where it expects the window to be.
I understand that it uses hall effect sensors to determine additional current (beyond normal) before they get to the top of their travel. If additional current is seances, then it assumes that somebody is trapped in the window and backs the window down.

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:49 pm

dario wrote:had my E89 in to the dealers for a couple of days for them to sort out the "bouncing windows".

They said that all windows had been adjusted and checked and that the software had been re-flashed. I said we will see.

Strangely i asked them about the so called modification that is being fitted to some members cars. They claim no knowledge of any new mods. So if a forum member has the details of the mod, i would be most obliged if you could post up the details or technical bulletin.

Meanwhile mine is now worse that it was.

made all the worse because i have the smartop module fitted and its rather nice to put the roof up as your walking away from the car! Now i have to hang around to see it the poxy window has rolled itself down!!

Interesting watching that video. Like bigendbob, my small rear windows rise a split second after the main ones and I think this is the modification the dealer made after I complained about dancing windows. I'm sure that previously they would rise in unison and then 50% of the time the main window would drop.