Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'Dancing' Windows - There IS a new fix!

davidmbell

'Dancing' Windows - There IS a new fix!

Post by davidmbell » Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Not sure if this has already been reported, but my garage insisted that my car is one of the first (in the UK) to have this mod done.

I had the car in for a repeated rattle from the roof, and while in asked them to look at the 'dancing' windows. (Drivers' and sometimes passenger window drops back down 4/5 inches following the all 4 closure - either roof going up or down).

They rang to say it was fixed, and I collected the car, only to realise the issue with dancing windows was still there, the drivers' side now leaked, and the roof rattle was still there.

So booked it back in, insisting they keep it till it was sorted.

So after getting back from holiday the garage explained they had fitted a mod in the footwell area, that fixes the dancing windows issue.

It seems there's now some form of relay on each rear window that delays it going up by milliseconds, but enough for it to now raise so that it meets the front windows at the very top of their travel.

I've done a video of the windows closing. I guess most won't notice the difference, but the rear windows now definitely raise a millisecond AFTER the did prior to this mod.

It's not done the 'dancing' since!!!! (oh and I think the roof rattle is cured too!).

Video here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnjGoN3sDQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnjGoN3sDQ

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

MikeS

Re: 'Dancing' Windows - There IS a new fix!

Post by MikeS » Sun May 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Just seen this post as in have been away. Very interested to know there is a fix for this problem - do you have any BMW info about what this fix is called or listed as? Then I can contact my dealer and ask for it to be done.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Tue May 24, 2011 7:07 pm

:?
Last edited by Kryton on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Had the windows thing but disnae bother me as after roof comes up and one or the other window drops slightly I just push the window up button. extra 5 secs max on closing roof!
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes but on a 40k car you shouldn't put up with less than perfect.

Its not a bloody French quirky Peugeot!
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Occasionally one of the windows goes back down in mine after you close the roof, but you just need to press the roof button again and it goes up immediately. :)
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Am I correct to say:

Before the mod: The rear windows completed the closing slightly faster than the front windows. Front windows then defected resistance, and opened again.

After the mod: The rear windows complete the closing slightly slower than the front windows. This allows the front windows fully closed before the rear ones.

It only happened to mine a few times, I just closed the front window again individually. I think I will try using "all windows" button more frequently to see if my car has this regular problem.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

djtex

Post by djtex » Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Mine's a brand spanker in the last couple of weeks and I have the problem to. Car going in next week for that and an idrive screen rattle, they seem confident at sorting it out. Will let you know. :)

djtex

Post by djtex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Car went in yesterday annoyingly they couldn't replicate the rattle, but have fixed the windows. They said they had to tweak the programming, which ties in with other people's experiences.

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 am

ksher wrote:Am I correct to say:

Before the mod: The rear windows completed the closing slightly faster than the front windows. Front windows then defected resistance, and opened again.

After the mod: The rear windows complete the closing slightly slower than the front windows. This allows the front windows fully closed before the rear ones.

It only happened to mine a few times, I just closed the front window again individually. I think I will try using "all windows" button more frequently to see if my car has this regular problem.
Yes that's pretty much it, the mod delays when the rear windows start going up and as such they meet the front windows just as all four reach the top - rather than the rears going up first - and, as you say, the fronts 'feeling resistance'.

Mines been fine since the mod.
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Both my rear windows are closed much faster (2 inch) when I use "All windows" switch, but I don't have any problems.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Called my dealer and mention this fix to them (they knew I had reported this problem some time ago but it still needed me to ask!) and just got the car back. All windows now close correctly and also as it needs the software reinstalled I got the update as well so I no longer have to keep clsing my display as it now stays down unless needed :D . I wonder what else has been changed? Pity BMW do not supply a change list. Also seems a pity that some dealers do not monitor these sites then they would know what we know :evil:
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

jonnywells

Post by jonnywells » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Sorry to bring up a old thread but about to buy a 09 35i private sale :D Can someone please explain this problem abit more?

There is 2 months left on the warranty so im going to go bug spotting and get the dealers to sort any problems before warranty runs out...if there any anything else i should be looking out for let me know, im already trying to think of a "problem" with the idrive system to get the update to allow 7 digit post code input
2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i - Havanna Metallic with Pure White Design Package - Light V spoke style 294 18"- Navigation system BMW prof - Heated seats - Electric seats with memory - Extended Lighting - Extended Storage - Electronic Folding Mirrors - PDC

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I don't think that there's much more to say than this really.
davidmbell wrote:
ksher wrote:Am I correct to say:

Yes that's pretty much it, the mod delays when the rear windows start going up and as such they meet the front windows just as all four reach the top - rather than the rears going up first - and, as you say, the fronts 'feeling resistance'.

Mines been fine since the mod.

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to add my experience of this problem...

I took the car to Hexagon in Kentish Town. They charged me £170 to cover diagnostics and to perform a re-initialisation of the windows. This has NOT FIXED the problem, although it now seems to "dance" less often so it will probably be impossible to show it happening to the dealer.

Here's the wording they put in the job sheet:

"Perform vehicle test for drivers window int bouncing back open: No FC's logged for this issue".

"Carried out test module as generated B6100_PL4MOTEHF for drive unit :-- Identified anti-trap has been triggered & requires re-initialisation sequence: ok".

I've booked the car back in for next week, but i'm not very optimistic that they will do anything.