Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dealership called, quality enhancement due!

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Dealership called, quality enhancement due!

Post by lacroupade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Is it just me or is BMW on some kind of water-saving initiative? I've never known a manufacturers products let water in in so many places across so many variants....

I remember having a brand new 5-series a few years ago that would randomly lock and unlock itself as you drove along....turned out to be an electrical connector full - wait for it - of water....they must have drained it and poured it into my frickin fog lights then...and now the new Zed is trying to save the planet by collecting water as well....do you think they realise that people would actually like to USE their damn cars OUTSIDE occasionally?
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Obsidian

Post by Obsidian » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Had this done two weeks ago. Takes about an hour so I waited and worked from the dealership with the free coffee (and the screaming kids of one very fed up dad!). It was called a quality enhancement when they phoned me to book it in but the guy who took my keys said recall and then apologised and said they've been told not to say that. I'd rather say they just called it what it is.
Z4 SDrive35iS - Comfort, Connectivity and Media Packages etc etc

KSY10

Post by KSY10 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 am

I was out in the car last Friday when a bulb waring light appeared on the dash and the indicator noise became more frantic. I got out of the car to check and the right rear light cluster (or whatever it's called) was full of water at the bottom where the indicator part of the light is. I immediately drove to BMW and they ordered a new right rear light cluster under warranty.
When i arrived home (within the hour) an e mail had arrived which read:

Dear Mr Yates,
It has been brought to our attention by BMW UK that the above vehicle is due
for a quality enhancement procedure to replace the rear vents due to
possible water ingress.
We would therefore ask you at your earliest convenience to contact our
reservations department to make a booking quoting:-
Replace rear vents
Naturally this work will of course be at no cost to you.

I presume this is what was said in everyone's letter.
The car went in yesterday for half a day and everything was done without any problems. It's just such a coincidence that within an hour of my going to the garage to report a problem an e mail arrives in relation to a similar sort of issue. I can't fault the service department at Williams Liverpool, Paul Gerrard did everything i asked of him and he rang me as soon as the car was ready.
I've read on here about issues with warranty claims at Williams Liverpool, but i must say i have had 2 since December and both have been carried out without too much trouble. The drivers side mirror replacement was a little problematic, but that was just because i spoke to the wrong person when i first reported the problem, a very obnoxious stroppy woman. Approach the right people at Williams Liverpool and all is good in my opinion.
As for the very clever wording "Quality enhancement procedure", my girlfriend and i have been laughing about that ever since the e mail arrived. Although she stopped laughing when i suggested it to her by way of a boob job.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:08 am

the disadvantage of buying any new model car is you end up with the built in design problems, its better to buy 12 months or so later, by then most of the problems have come to light - and hopefully rectified

roofless

Re: Dealership called, quality enhancement due! Update and i

Post by roofless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

My baby went in for the warranty work today; recall on the vents in rear bumper, also had the rear nearside light replaced as there was condensation in it and when it was raining earlier in the year the indicator stopped working.
Usual service manager was on holiday and i was met by one of the engineers, 'ah, i worked on your car before, when you had the EML fault.'
My eyes lit up, 'ah, i asked so what really was the problem?'
I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum but the engine was cutting out when i came back from my trip to europe last year and the car was in for a week, at the time i was told one of the turbos was compensating for the other.

'3 injectors were faulty' was the response. Took us ages to work it out with BMW. We had one similar just before yours and two more afterwards, those were easy as we realised what was going on by then. Seems to have been a problem with that age of car.'

Mine is a 59 plate so any other 35i owners had a similar issue?
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 am

Not had a letter. I wonder if mine was done when it was in for a service a few weeks ago?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Breaker wrote:Not had a letter. I wonder if mine was done when it was in for a service a few weeks ago?
:)
Last edited by Kryton on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 pm

I've not had a letter or phone call about mine either, but this doesn't really surprise me as I think my dealer is probably heading for the most useless and incompetent dealer of 2011 award. :?

I'm planning to book it in for a service in a week or so, and will bring it to their attention.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 am

Went into Hillington and there is a defo recall. But it has to go into bodyshop as whole bumper needs to come off. Parts need ordered etc. Nice to know eh!!!!
Glad my detail has not been done yet
They did look a bit shocked that I asked about this off the cuff. Water comes in rear vents and can short out control unit under floor in boot.
Carpet out boot tonight for a look!!!
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am

Why are they not actively contacting customers to arrange this, since there is risk of damage to a control unit? :headbang:

I'll give them a phone. :thumbsup:

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Car booked in on Tues as missus working in London Tues to Thurs so don't need curtesy car either. First trip to this branch let's see how they go. Car will be washed thoroughly on Monday night inside and out and will be telling them not to touch it.
Interesting to see how panel gaps are when I get it back. :roll:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

... :? I'll wait to hear how you get on next week then give them a phone. :P Will they definitley have the parts by next Tuesday?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Yup mines in for brake fluid and oil/filters etc this Monday... plus a free 'performance enhancement'.. otherwise known as preventing water from leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm

shambolic wrote:Car booked in on Tues as missus working in London Tues to Thurs so don't need curtesy car either. First trip to this branch let's see how they go. Car will be washed thoroughly on Monday night inside and out and will be telling them not to touch it.
Interesting to see how panel gaps are when I get it back. :roll:
Mine needed a new mounting guide after the bumper was refitted. :( It was fixed last week.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed May 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Guys, mine seemed to go without a hiccup although now you're getting me paranoid, time to get the magnifying glass and micrometer out :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'