Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HPFP replaced, now on 3 cylinders

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

HPFP replaced, now on 3 cylinders

Post by mcbeee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 pm

I had my HPFP replaced on Monday (the recall) , along with the injectors, a software update and a fuel line flush.

Drove it 200kms and the engine light came on, booked it in for a check from work and on the way homethe whole thing crapped out. On the gas all the way from work for about 40kms car is smooth, lots of power , running fine and then I stopped at the first traffic light and the revs dropped to 200 and was missing like a libyan rebel with a rocket launcher. Wasn't sure if I could get it the last 2 clicks to the house but it made it, lurched into the driveway on 3 cylinders. made some calls, BMW assist on the way....

while I was sitting in the car , steering it up the incline onto the flatdeck truck (being winched) the wife/gf/spouse came out and handed me the phone.

"It's BMW, they want to know how satisfied I was with my service appointment on Monday?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I wasn't 5 feet off the ground on a flatbed truck I would fallen out of the car laughing.... .Talk about timing....

The intake pressure sensor had failed along with some injectors ... caused a page of faults and the engine to shut down one bank of 3 cylinders....
They are quite embarassed at BMW... what did they do to cause the sensor to fail I wonder? They have not seen this before on the 35 engine.

All will be fixed by Moday night they assure me.....let's wait and see. :P
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Re: HPFP replaced, now on 3 cylinders

Post by Breaker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 am

Interesting as there is no recal here i the UK? :?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 pm

I forget exactly when the recall letter came for the HPFP but i'm sure it was late last year, my car was parked for the winter so I booked it for March 29th assuming the roads would be clear. I have no idea why there is no recall on the pump in the UK ??? There are numerous threads over here regarding the recall. ZPost, Bimmerfest etc..

I googled "bmw hpfp recall letter" and got 11,500 hits
Last edited by mcbeee on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8) 8) 8)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

mcbeee wrote:I forget exactly when the recall letter came for the HPFP but i'm sure it was late last year, my car was parked for the winter so I booked it for March 29th assuming the roads would be clear. I have no idea why there is no recall on the pump in the UK ??? There are numerous threads over here regarding the recall. ZPost, Bimmerfest etc..
BMW UK are tight :o
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:46 pm

BMW CA is about to open it's purse a bit more, seems there's also a stuck valve and no compression on cyl #1 and they now have the engine apart.... :?
8) 8) 8)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Anything different in that system regarding the tighter emissions you guys have to us?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Not that I know of, we aren't super tight on emissions in Canada, were about the same as most of the states except California.
8) 8) 8)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Bump... the valve spring was broken .... Two failures at the same time, an intake pressure sensor and a valve spring...hmmm? I did have a misfire once last year , the spring may have been weak and finally went . anyway, the spring will soon be on a flight from Germany and I will get the car back in a week or 10 days
8) 8) 8)