Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Late 59 reg E89 Hmm Joy, sadly not !!

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Well sadly the ownership of my zed started in an upbeat manner but has rapidly taken a downturn :thumbsdown: :(

Since collecting the thing on Thursday it has been plagued with problems. When we went to collect it there it was all seemingly clean & shiny, salesman showed me various functions and then the fun started. Comfort access opened the roof and it retracted then on the return cycle it stuck with the "clam's" not seperating "ah battery is low so has interupted the operation" exclaims salesman. So off it goes with roof open, in the rain, to the workshop quarter of a mile away. Back it comes an hour later allegedly all sorted after having memory wiped and "sleeping". Travel back west and roof open warning alluminates several times with audible warning. Extinguishes and no more probs. (with roof but navagation screen goes down into dash and then pops up again and heated steering wheel starts working without command but goes off and since then not happened since). Well until Friday when travelling near Shrewsbury and the thing starts shouting again and the roof starts to open but I haven't touched anything so I call BMW assist and off I take it to Rybrook BMW where again the thing is reset, put to sleep, started, stopped, opened closed, reset, put to sleep ad infinitum.

Off I set and shortly after alarm/light say roof problem but doesn't try to open. Yesterday think I'll give it a clean and foolishly think "wonder if the roof will open OK as a nice day and maybe take it out with the roof down"; what a mistake as roof opens half way and sticks. Alarm goes off and hazard lights start flashing !! Call BMW assist and engineer duly arrives, plays for an hour and a half closes roof resets everything and says it needs to go to dealers to be sorted as various fault codes evident.

Whilst waiting for said engineer continue to clean the bodywork and notice that there are two large stone chips on the bonnet that, size of the 'O' on p.c. keyboard I didn't notice under the soft showroom lighting plus excitment that have been painted with what looks like wrong white paint and small tar spots on various panels.

Now very unhappy and wonder is this the norm and am I expecting too much or have other owners had similar experiences and any suggestions ?? Need to take it to a good dealer in the Bristol, Bath area so any idea as to the best in the west as have read the remarks on the dealers blog and am a tad concerned.

Cheers
Alpine White sDrive35i with Ivory White Exclusive Nappa leather, 7sdct auto, V spoke 296's and now a smart top !

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Late 59 reg E89 Hmm Joy, sadly not !!

Post by andysat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear this mate,but at least you have warranty to get it all sorted.I know its not the point on such a new expensive car,but wait until the probs are sorted then you will be back to loving it.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Bought my car with 6 months under it's skin, and it's been fine - no problems, only a sticky idrive unit due to someone spilling a drink on it I think, but fixed and working fine...so I would say, it's a rare issue - looks at Maniacs post - he has problems on his test drive....so take it back to the dealer, get the stone chips sorted (mine had a large chip and dealer sorted it) so keep on with it, and it should work out fine....

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Bad news - if they cant sort it hand it back!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

tjlazer

Post by tjlazer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:39 pm

[quote="paddy wright"]Bad news - if they cant sort it hand it back![/quote
Exactly. Threaten this if it isn't sorted to your satisfaction, that 30 day return is exactly why I'm happy to buy from an official dealer. Hope they do fix it as that sounds a shocker by the dealer there :(
WAS: black on black MR with carbon trim. NOW: IB/Champagne/Carbon ZMC

wegras

Post by wegras » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:55 pm

"ah battery is low so has interupted the operation" exclaims salesman
So they were delivering a AUC which has gone through all "the Checks" with a nearly flat battery
I would make a call to the Dealer Principle that is absolutely unacceptable
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

petach

Post by petach » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Persevere....................I didn't divorce my wife the time she burnt her 1st dinner for me. She has other more memorable talents. Same with the Zed. Get it fixed and I am sure it's other talents will shine through.
Live FAST.....die when you can fit it into your busy schedule!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 pm

It not good - granted, but I wouldn't get unduly depressed or alarmist about it at this stage.

Call the dealer, express disatisfaction and ask exactly how they intend to resolve the issue. I'm sure you'll find they really want to for a new customer just taking delivery of the car.

All the heavy handed threats to return it can come if their action to resolve is not prompt and acceptable.

In a similar way we purchased a brand new 206 GTi many years ago. It stopped dead in the middle of a traffic junction an hour after collecting, repeated similar antics over the next few days. Dealer had it back, fully tracked the fault to a loom connector, fixed it, sent flowers to Mrs CJ and it became a deeply loved car for 5 years :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for advice, support. Appreciate it.

Did email the dealer yesterday when BMW assist engineer was here and had a response along the lines of "will have to wait and see what your local BMW dealer finds re the roof" nothing about the other faults (maybe all linked ?) or paintwork. In fairness will take it to Wellesway BMW in Bath and see what they say, although sad I still reckon the zed is the mutts danglies and trust all will be well, eventually.
Alpine White sDrive35i with Ivory White Exclusive Nappa leather, 7sdct auto, V spoke 296's and now a smart top !

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Wow - not a good start to ownership, sorry to hear this. Hope you get things resolved soon.

In the meantime I would lift the tray in the boot to stop the roof going down!
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Zebedee & welcome

Sorry to hear your woes, I unfortunately had a bad introduction to my E89 within days of picking it up, but I'm happy they are now fixed so that I can now fully appreciate the beast in all it's glory. I was at the point of throwing the car back at em I was so cheesed off and the problems I experienced, which really spoilt the entire experience of purchasing what is after all the dogs bitz.

Like the folks above have said, persevere, rely on the 30 day BMW commitment and always expect the best service and a quick professional response. If you don't get this-talk to BMW UK and explain the situation. They will take this seriously I am sure.

I would advise you to make sure you put your feelings and requests in writing and early on ask the dealership you have dealt with to do the same in return, it's important you have a record of all communications should you have to escalate the situation to BMW UK or decide you are returning the car.

Good luck, I hope you get the joy back soon

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:37 pm

30 day commitment thats a new one on me, can some one explain please as the salesman never did and cannot find it in any of the paperwork I have been given !?!?

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

zebedee wrote:30 day commitment thats a new one on me, can some one explain please as the salesman never did and cannot find it in any of the paperwork I have been given !?!?
New to me too, Googled...

6. BMW commitment
We are completely confident in the quality of our Approved Used BMWs. So much so, that if we are unable to resolve a demonstrable fault arising within the first 30 days/1000 miles of your ownership (whichever is sooner), you will be entitled to an exchange, or a refund if an appropriate exchange cannot be found**. **This does not affect your statutory rights

Taken from: PH Post: BMW Approved Used Cars
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Your case was very exceptional. I hope the dealer will get everything sorted ASAP.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 am

Unlucky with the problems....

Regarding the stone chips, a decent body shop or detailer would beable to fill wetsand and polish them making it a perfect job......

Not sure whether a main dealer would too but i guess you have to try them first..... Easy to say but if you can get your hands on a paint thickness gauge (I have one)and take readings around the damage before it goes it to get fixed will help after if they have repaired it. Paint on will mean either a local respray or full panel, paint off will mean chips filled and wetsanded.

For me id sooner have the chips filled and wetsanded or a full panel respray as local resprays can come be to hunt your later.

Cheers

PaulN

Ps not ideal but all the things will get sorted just bear with it. Id be looking at a free service for all your troubles btw.
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black