Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crackling Ice around roof/boot

petach

Crackling Ice around roof/boot

Post by petach » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:48 am

Got the E89 out of the garage yesterday, took Mrs Petach to station 1/2 mile away then drove to work. About a mile later the sound of 1000 cats dancing on my roof with their claws out could be heard inside the cockpit. I stopped the car and looked at the roof for the 1000 cats and none could be seen. Got back in and the 1000 cats appeared again. Eventually worked out that around the inside of the boot lid where it meets the body (rear window end) lots of little ice pimples had formed under the lip, also ice had formed around the seam where roof meets body. Flexing of the body was grinding the ice and making a tremendous racket.

Funny enough my boss (with a 5 series) came into the office complaining about the same noise and that he had booked it into the dealership to have it looked at. Brownie point for me when I told him what it was.

ANyone else had this? I mean, it is a tremendous racket!
Live FAST.....die when you can fit it into your busy schedule!

davidmbell

Re: Crackling Ice around roof/boot

Post by davidmbell » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I have had mine in the garage for this very thing, in fact I got it back yesterday but as temperatures were warmer while they had the car they couldn't replicate it.

The garage did say it could well be frozen seals, and in fact had a few people with 3 series convertibles with a similar issue.

Here's a video of mine at its worse : http://davidmbell.com/z4/roof.mp4

They said they've made some minor adjustments and treated the seals with lubrication.

I asked if it was possible to buy the stuff they use, and when I went to collect it a new aerosol tin of Gummi Pfledge was left on the passenger seat. Bless em it was FOC too!

David
PS it also had a new rear light cluster due to condensation, a new rear alloy wheel due to minor corrosion around centre cap, a new window regualator due to load ocasional clunking, and the heating system tested as I was convinced it wasn't working right (it is, its just how Climate control works apparently...)
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

shambolic

Re: Crackling Ice around roof/boot

Post by shambolic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:56 pm

I also had the rear lights replaced, two weeks after getting car in January :thumbsdown:
Only problem I've had TBH coming up for a year and 9000 miles :thumbsup:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!