Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heater Problem Cool Air on Anything Other Than Max Temp!

davidmbell

Heater Problem Cool Air on Anything Other Than Max Temp!

Post by davidmbell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:11 am

I have a 2009 Z4 sDrive35i and have noticed (thanks to very cold UK weather) that if i turn my temp gauge selector down one or two notches (climate control) then the air delivered is almost cold!! Rather than a bit cooler than max (and so on).

Anyone else experienced this?

I'll book it in but wondered if this has happened to anyone before?

Thanks

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >
2009 SDrive35i / Deep Sea Blue / Pure White Design etc etc etc
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk

iwatchlive

Re: Heater Problem Cool Air on Anything Other Than Max Temp!

Post by iwatchlive » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Hi David,

The other day I had the heater on and it was SO HOT I had to turn it right down so it didn't burn me, I am sure I had switched OFF the auto / air con / climate and was just using it as a heater with no recirculate.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I thought with the climate control you can have it on auto or non auto, you can also switch of the climate control and use it as a fan without the climate being used (ideal in cold weather) using it as a heater and not air conditioning.
So you have two temp zone controllers for left and right of car; (see image) have you got a green light showing in the centre of either or both of these buttons by the snowflake? If so give it /them a press to switch off the green light and the air cooling part is now off and just the heater is on, then turn off the aircon auto selector switch (green light OFF on Auto) , then turn the temp dials up to desired temp and switch the fans on high (right hand button with the larger of the fans) you will see the green fan bars illuminate , the more lit the more power. Finally check the recirculate button is not lit.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 am

I dont use Auto and very very rarely turn on a/c - so it's just a heater - and this is when it does it.

Tried with ac button pressed and sane thing.

Has to be one notch off top temp sometimes or 2 to 3 others, but there's a marked hot to cool difference.

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:12 am

Make sure wee red blue dial below front grilles is centre as turning it blue means always cold out these grills and red means always hot irrespective of all other setting. You can see it in picture :thumbsup:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am

I just leave mine on auto constantly though :D
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm

My current setting is auto air-circulation, fullly auto air distribution/flow (with no air-con), with both sides at 21C. The interior temperature is perfect when it is -4C outside. :)
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm

shambolic wrote:Make sure wee red blue dial below front grilles is centre as turning it blue means always cold out these grills and red means always hot irrespective of all other setting. You can see it in picture :thumbsup:
This cool air is from any vent, not just the face vents, which I know are dictated by the centre dial. I tend to have just feet option chosen.

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:12 pm

ksher wrote:My current setting is auto air-circulation, fully auto air distribution/flow (with no air-con), with both sides at 21C. The interior temperature is perfect when it is -4C outside. :)
My set up is just the same and works perfectly. I do ensure that the air distribution for the windscreen is biased towards cold so the hot air is diverted to my feet.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 am

davidmbell wrote: This cool air is from any vent, not just the face vents, which I know are dictated by the centre dial. I tend to have just feet option chosen.
David
Looks like the heater element may be playing up... :(

By the way David, what happened with your fuel pump issue? did it get sorted and how did they deal with you??

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:53 pm

davidmbell wrote:I dont use Auto and very very rarely turn on a/c
Aside from your other issues routine and regular use of the AC unit will keep the AC seals 'moist' otherwise they dry out and big bucks repair bill. I try and use mine for 30/40 minutes once a week.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm

iwatchlive wrote:
davidmbell wrote: This cool air is from any vent, not just the face vents, which I know are dictated by the centre dial. I tend to have just feet option chosen.
David
Looks like the heater element may be playing up... :(

By the way David, what happened with your fuel pump issue? did it get sorted and how did they deal with you??
I won't post it all here,but there's a load of info here :

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread. ... 304&page=5

Cheers,

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:21 pm

AlanJ, Also it is Air Conditioning not just Air Cooling so it should be 'conditioning' the air the air to some specified standard - that is drying and filtering. I keep my Air Conditioning on all of the time and have always done in all of my vehicles. :D
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 pm

iwatchlive wrote:
See the horizontal rotary lever thing between the two vents, with blue and red either side, if that is moved towards the blue then cooler air comes out of those vents, even if the temperature is set hot on the climate control.

I was also told by the sales guy that climate control only works with the AC on, not sure if this is correct and seems a bit stupid if it is.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

davidmbell

Post by davidmbell » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Worked out this evening there's some stooopid computer intervention going on here.

As soon as I lower the roof, the heater blows nice and warm right down to the 10 o'clock postion on the dial..(at that point it starts going a bit cool).

As soon as the roof goes up (and even on about 24 degrees) its COOL air!!

Going in to dealer Weds.

Would someone else with climate please test this?

David
< < < < FOR SALE > > > >

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Owner manual does mention that the setting of climate control will change when the roof is down.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).