Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Closing then windows opening problem

Wondermike

Re: Roof Closing then windows opening problem

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote:I think its just the sensitivity of the anti-trap...
Yeah I agree with this, my SLK does it quite a lot too but usually only the passenger window.
ksher wrote:Mike: Can you only operate the front windows in your SLK (although it also has 4 windows)?
I can but the back ones don't have separate controls. You can use the roof button to lower all 4 and then put the front two back up again. I drive sometime with the roof up but all four windows down.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:43 am

AlanJ wrote:Windows reset is in order I think.......

1. Turn on the ignition
2. Depress the individual window button until the window is open, then keep it pressed for 5 seconds longer.
3. Depress the window button until it is closed, then release.
4. This should reset the memory on the window.

Same procedure for both windows :thumbsup:
Tried this at the weekend. May be coincidence, but the windows work as they should now so far. :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 am

AlanJ wrote:
EdP wrote: Yes, the E89 has 4 windows.
Oh yes - sorry thought yours was a proper Zed - ROADSTER :poke: :rofl: :thumbsup:
How dare you class my car as a roadster!! :o :o

It's a Coupe with a folding roof I'll have you know! :P
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:57 am

Wondermike wrote: I drive sometime with the roof up but all four windows down.
Yeah, me too. It creates a nice airy feel to the cabin. :D :thumbsup:
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Breaker wrote:
AlanJ wrote:
EdP wrote: Yes, the E89 has 4 windows.
Oh yes - sorry thought yours was a proper Zed - ROADSTER :poke: :rofl: :thumbsup:
How dare you class my car as a roadster!! :o :o

It's a Coupe with a folding roof I'll have you know! :P
PLease accept my humblest but glad the widow fix worked..... coincidence I think not :P :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Mines does that all the time only drivers side though!
No major prob as I just hit the button again till it goes up.
On the 4 window opening I had he SLK for 2 years before I found out 2 quick pulls on the roof button put them down(coupe mode or something) :)
Same happens with the E89 pull and hold big button behind windo buttons and all 4 go down :thumbsup:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Have now operated my roof more than 6 times since doing 'the reset' and all is working fine - strange :o I wonder what opening and closing the windows does to 'reset' them?
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 pm

MikeS wrote:Have now operated my roof more than 6 times since doing 'the rest' and all is working fine - strange :o I wonder what opening and closing the windows does to 'reset' them?
Glad it worked - all computer wizardry :rofl:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 am

Have now noticed that when I open the roof if I keep it operating past the roof open position, so that the windows close, that the next time the roof is closed the windows drop again! Then if I 'reset' the windows all works OK..........................
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 am

Mine seem OK still so far! :thumbsup:

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Have now been monitoring this for a while and the 'reset' idea if it does anything at all only works for a little while as now my windows are back to opening slightly after I close the roof again. Guess I will have to wait for the response from the dealer for a fix.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 am

Mines still OK so far.

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Spoke to the dealer (Vines Gatwick) again today about this issue. They were unable to fix it and raised a technical request with BMW (A 'PUMA') for a fix some weeks ago. They have not yet had a response from BMW and say that is probably because it has not been reported my many other customers, Vines know of one other. Therefore the message has got to be that if we want a fix best we tell our dealers and hence BMW there is a fault.

gookah

Post by gookah » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:35 pm

AlanJ wrote:
ksher wrote:....... to close all 4 windows.
4 windows....?
I have 4 windows too,..... but only 3 of them go up and down :D

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 pm

4 windows :thumbsup:

A little birdy told me the smaller rear windows on the E89 "coupé with a folding roof " were designed to drop to enable the driver to experience the joy of the exhaust note whilst the roof was still up and the main larger windows were closed; don't know if this is true or not but I can confirm that I just love being able to drop the small rear windows and listen to that growl day in and day out, with or without the front windows up/down or the roof on/off.

Image Image

In fact I cant remember the last time I took the Zed out and didn't drop the small rear windows to listen to the Growl :driving:

MikeS; Had a small issue with my windows. As you know when you open the door on the E89, the window drops a couple of inches automatically, then when you close the door it closes the windows again automatically :) Nice touch - however I have had the windows sporadically drop to say half open when you open the door, then not do it again for a few days, then do it. :cry: I was just going to add this to the list of items for dealer to look at next time I visit service centre, but will now try the reset option (Thanks AlanJ) next time this happens.