Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice needed on broken Door Sill trim replacement

Tamman69

Advice needed on broken Door Sill trim replacement

Post by Tamman69 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Guys

Sorry this is a re-post of something in the 'problems' section, would really appreciate any info out there.

Relating to s23i 2009 model

One of the many 'interesting' drivers here in the Balkans forced me up a kerb this weekend. The lovely grinding sound that ensued turned out to be my door sill trim being bashed heavily underneath. It only just made it home. (not sure if the Ski Through Storage option would have coped with that!). Same incident also shattered by side mirror but will leave that for another thread to avoid confusion.

The part looks like this in the catalogue

From a cursory examination I would say that several of the clips (5) in the diagram are also broken as well as a lot of scuffing to the unit.

Has anyone got any experience on replacing these sill trims? I had an initial look and wondered if they could be fitted without removal of other parts - as it seems you slide laterally into the clips and there doesn't appear to be room at the moment. Or perhaps you replace the lot?

Any advice on how hard a job, how expensive a job etc. would be much appreciated. Can go and take some photos of the damaged parts if you feel it necessary

thanks

Tamman69

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Advice needed on broken Door Sill trim replacement

Post by AlanJ » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 am

Here's how you do it.......

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ill#p21728

SEARCH can be your best friend :poke: :rofl:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 am

I'd check it's the same for the new Z4 though! :wink: :poke:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Tamman69

Post by Tamman69 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I found that one yesterday also.

I think it is a similar job if not identical. What I'm not sure of is the sliding of the trim into the hidden bayonet fasteners.

If you do this 'off car' then snap the bayonets into the sill structure with the trim already on them I think it will be easy. If you have to install the hidden bayonets on to the car first then get an angle to slide the sill to them it may be more difficult.

Hopefully BMW have picked the easier of the two formats. It is only trim after all...