Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof open halfway

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi folks.

I am having problems with my hardtop. It won't open and so far I have not been able to diagnose the problem, let alone fix it. Hoping you can give me a push in the right direction.

It goes like this: when I press the 'open roof' button, the rear shell goes on top of the front shell as it is supposed to, and when it is time for the trunk to open, it does not. I still hear the pump working for another ~5 seconds after which the car gives up and starts flashing red light.

It started a few years ago. First, it'd open on the second attempt, then on 3rd, then on 10th... Never had problems closing it though, either from fully opened position or from that position it gets stuck in.

I tried to get it diagnosed twice. The first guy believed it to be a battery issue. It sounded strange, as the car did not complain about low voltage or anything. However, he did show me how roof opens up easily if the car is connected a power grid. And I did have a pretty old battery at the time. Okay, I replaced it. Nothing changed.

And a week ago while doing TÜV I asked my usual service to check the roof. They said there wasn't any error in the computer and that it is a hydraulic leakage, and quoted me a 2500 euro price tag for the repairs (allegedly, the roof needs to be dismantled).

I checked the fluid's level in the pump reservoir and it was lower than minimal. I topped it up to the maximum level and tried opening the roof a few times. It did not open once, I saw no apparent leakages and the level did not seem to have dropped.

Any thoughts?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof open halfway

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:34 pm

estrizhok wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:00 pm Hi folks.

I am having problems with my hardtop. It won't open and so far I have not been able to diagnose the problem, let alone fix it. Hoping you can give me a push in the right direction.

It goes like this: when I press the 'open roof' button, the rear shell goes on top of the front shell as it is supposed to, and when it is time for the trunk to open, it does not. I still hear the pump working for another ~5 seconds after which the car gives up and starts flashing red light.

It started a few years ago. First, it'd open on the second attempt, then on 3rd, then on 10th... Never had problems closing it though, either from fully opened position or from that position it gets stuck in.

I tried to get it diagnosed twice. The first guy believed it to be a battery issue. It sounded strange, as the car did not complain about low voltage or anything. However, he did show me how roof opens up easily if the car is connected a power grid. And I did have a pretty old battery at the time. Okay, I replaced it. Nothing changed.

And a week ago while doing TÜV I asked my usual service to check the roof. They said there wasn't any error in the computer and that it is a hydraulic leakage, and quoted me a 2500 euro price tag for the repairs (allegedly, the roof needs to be dismantled).

I checked the fluid's level in the pump reservoir and it was lower than minimal. I topped it up to the maximum level and tried opening the roof a few times. It did not open once, I saw no apparent leakages and the level did not seem to have dropped.

Any thoughts?
RobbiZ4 is the resident roof expert but a few other are pretty knowledgeable as well.

I am no expert but if the rear section is rising, then stopping but the motor running that sounds like a sensor of some sort but I could be wrong on that.

Mine was doing something similar where the roof was down and then the shell would raise but the boot would not close and I could hear the pump running and it was microswitches which are pretty cheap to buy and can be done by yourself if you are ok with the tools.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof open halfway

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Need to check connector on the right hand boot lift cylinder.
On my car it had slightly pulled apart so system doesn't get boot lid fully open signal.
So many posts now, try to find my post on it.
Found it, check this, cost you nothing:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106166

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:15 am

flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:42 pm Found it, check this, cost you nothing:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106166
Thanks! I will try that as soon as I can. Since newtis.info got taken down, instructions on how to strip the luggage compartment of panels are not so easy to come by. Downloading ISTA now.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof open halfway

Post by flybobbie » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:42 am

Only a couple of pins to pull to get the side trim off.
BMW in their wisdom decided to use a Hall sensor with a short lead and connector.
On my car it was pulling apart becoming intermittent contact.
The replacement part removes the connector, just one continuous lead back to module, so i believe.

RobbiZ4

Roof open halfway

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 am

Same story as here without any feedback?
The whole Z4 world is guessing around. :rofl:
https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852140

Guys, I'd avoid any actionism without a clear diagnose!
And for that, a response is required from the double poster. :rofl:
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:32 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 am Same story as here without any feedback?
The whole Z4 world is guessing around. :x
https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852140
Yep, it is my post on that forum. Sorry about not replying. Seems that forum does not notify over email about new replies, so I missed them.

RobbiZ4

Roof open halfway

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Question.
Can you ensure, that the lifting of the rear roof shell has not been finished?
Then it could be an issue with the hall sensor on the right hydraulic cylinder in the roof shell, that doesn't send the correct signal.

Or has the process of opening the boot lid already started? There is a short stop of the pump between both steps.

And finally, the same question about name and location as on the other forum.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:03 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:51 pm Question.
Then it could be an issue with the hall sensor on the right hydraulic cylinder in the roof shell, that doesn't send the correct signal.

Or has the process of opening the boot lid already started? There is a short stop of the pump between both steps.

Hello again,

I did reply in the other forum. I am in Munich and you call me Eugene, if you really have to know my name. :)
Let me go down to the garage and check whether there is a short stop of the pump.
By the way, I am willing to visit your werkstatt or whatever and pay for your expertise. Just hope it will be less than 2.5k :D

Cheers
Eugene
Last edited by estrizhok on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:17 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:51 pm Question.

Okay. If the pump stops I could not hear it. Seems to be running without interruptions.

RobbiZ4

Roof open halfway

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:47 pm

estrizhok wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:03 pm I am in Munich and you call me Eugene, if you really have to know my name. :)
Ok.
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:12 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:47 pm It is not my "Werkstatt" (it's a friend of mine) and absolutely not my job to repair cars in general. But it's my diagnostic tool and my very special Z4 roof know how. And I can re-vitalize E89 retractable hardtops. :D
That is awfully nice of you! You might not be a mechanic, but looking the diagnostic tool you have come up with, it is pretty safe to say you aren't a history teacher either :D That is a really cool piece of hardware!
RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:47 pm We can meet this week as of Tuesday i.e. at your garage (or in Giesing, my home) and I can connect your car to my Y3 diagnostic system.
Sure. I will send you a pm here.

Cheers
Eugene

RobbiZ4

Roof open halfway

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:27 pm

You can get the complete forum translated into your mother language by google:
https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... ax,nv,elem
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof open halfway

Post by flybobbie » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Sorry, first time i read it thought boot opened.

estrizhok

Roof open halfway

Post by estrizhok » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:56 pm Sorry, first time i read it thought boot opened.
No problem! Thank you anyway for taking time to read and suggest a possible solution.