Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue - small side window

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Been out in my car at lunch and when I put the roof down it went down ok but the small drivers side window didn’t and therefore I can’t get it up and living in Scotland rain can’t be far away. I have searched the forum and have seen many roof issue but none like this. I can push the window down by hand but as soon as I try and get the roof down, the window is pushed back up but trying to get the window down with the button, nothing happens. Any tips really appreciated, I don’t have a garage to store the car in. I can hear the mechanism trying to work but it’s not happening baffling how it will go up, but not down, even though it’s not in the form it should.
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Amg01 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm Been out in my car at lunch and when I put the roof down it went down ok but the small drivers side window didn’t and therefore I can’t get it up and living in Scotland rain can’t be far away. I have searched the forum and have seen many roof issue but none like this. I can push the window down by hand but as soon as I try and get the roof down, the window is pushed back up but trying to get the window down with the button, nothing happens. Any tips really appreciated, I don’t have a garage to store the car in. I can hear the mechanism trying to work but it’s not happening baffling how it will go up, but not down, even though it’s not in the form it should.
It sounds as though you need to remove panels to see the window mechanism - you won’t know what’s wrong with it otherwise.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm
Amg01 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm Been out in my car at lunch and when I put the roof down it went down ok but the small drivers side window didn’t and therefore I can’t get it up and living in Scotland rain can’t be far away. I have searched the forum and have seen many roof issue but none like this. I can push the window down by hand but as soon as I try and get the roof down, the window is pushed back up but trying to get the window down with the button, nothing happens. Any tips really appreciated, I don’t have a garage to store the car in. I can hear the mechanism trying to work but it’s not happening baffling how it will go up, but not down, even though it’s not in the form it should.
It sounds as though you need to remove panels to see the window mechanism - you won’t know what’s wrong with it otherwise.
Rob
I have removed some of the plastic and small speaker behind the drivers seat but all it seems to give access to is the seatbelt mechanism, I can’t see this https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_7187 in the small gap, I wonder if it’s from the boot, but again can’t really see it. Is there a website where I can check where I can get access to that window mechanism?

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:24 pm

It’s the small window at the side not the main window.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:49 pm

It’s all documented on newTis..you need to register to access it…

It’s fairky lengthy otherwise I do a simple cut n paste ..

If you can’t get registered then I’ll do a collection into a Dropbox then give you a link..

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:54 am

Pbondar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:49 pm It’s all documented on newTis..you need to register to access it…

If you can’t get registered then I’ll do a collection into a Dropbox then give you a link..
Thanks, I have managed to get the roof up, have managed to get some of the plastic off to get access, but can’t get the screw for the seat belt off, I cannot get it to move, despite using WD40 to try and loosen it. It just won’t budge, I wonder whether a screw gun would loosen it

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:27 am

Amg01 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:54 am
Pbondar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:49 pm It’s all documented on newTis..you need to register to access it…

Thanks, I have managed to get the roof up, have managed to get some of the plastic off to get access, but can’t get the screw for the seat belt off, I cannot get it to move, despite using WD40 to try and loosen it. It just won’t budge, I wonder whether a screw gun would loosen it
The bolt that holds the seat belt guide for the shoulder is torqued up pretty tight..I imagine you will need a 1/2 drive with an extension bar!