Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condenser Swap

Jpluttrell

Condenser Swap

Post by Jpluttrell » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum but have tried a search for info. I have a 2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0. I definitely have a condenser failure as the dye is pouring out the bottom of it. I will have it Vac’d before attempting any work. I have found a condenser for a reasonable price and have taken off the panel about the rad to inspect.

It looks a relatively easy job but I can’t find any info about if you need to remove the fan and radiator or if you can just disconnect the main AC lines and lift it out as I know on other models they hook in to the Rad.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Condenser Swap

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Jeez, you're one unlucky person!
Buy your dream car and after 300 miles wife doesn't like it and it has to go.
It must have heard you and decided to break! :?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Condenser Swap

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:48 pm Jeez, you're one unlucky person!
When I was selling cars had a guy come into the showroom to buy a new car, did the qualification process BMWW Brave Man Without Wife and was told I make the decisions in my house! So delivery time came and his he came to pick up his new Ford Fiesta Flight in Nordic Green (it was Friday 13th and did offer to change delivery date but no he wasnt superstitious)...... two hours later he was back, I have to sell the car or I'm getting divorced! My other half hates my Z4 with a passion, told me to get rid of it, refuses to even go in it but I don't give a stuff! :crazydude:

Jpluttrell

Condenser Swap

Post by Jpluttrell » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 pm

Actually every time I drive it I smile even more. Told her it will become an appreciating classic one day and she seems to like it!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Condenser Swap

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:11 pm

I needed a new condenser on my E86 a couple of years ago and I remember my Indy telling me the radiator had to come out for access.

Probably why his invoice included anti-freeze!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jpluttrell

Condenser Swap

Post by Jpluttrell » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Brilliant thanks for the help! No problem removing the radiator just didn’t want to do all of it and find out there was an easier way.

Kiwi_Mike

Condenser Swap

Post by Kiwi_Mike » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:11 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:48 pm Jeez, you're one unlucky person!
My other half hates my Z4 with a passion, told me to get rid of it, refuses to even go in it but I don't give a stuff! :crazydude:
I know the feeling. My wife calls my e89 'your wanky car' and refused to even acknowledge it for the first couple of weeks despite walking past it on the driveway every day.

Then I got her to come for a drive on a sunny day and encouraged her to take the wheel. She loved it, having never driven a turbo or a convertible before. Now she tolerates it but wouldn't be upset if I sold it.