Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cracked Windscreen, Anything I Need to Watch for??

helmik

Post by helmik » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 pm

So, got a stone or something must have hit the screen sometime in the last few days, only spotted it today. I’ve arranged for Autoglass to attend on Friday but I’ve heard various horror stories so just a question really as to whether there’s anything I need to watch out for or check after he’s been please?
Ta
Mick.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:18 pm

helmik wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 pm So, got a stone or something must have hit the screen sometime in the last few days, only spotted it today. I’ve arranged for Autoglass to attend on Friday but I’ve heard various horror stories so just a question really as to whether there’s anything I need to watch out for or check after he’s been please?
Ta
Mick.
I’ve read reports of the glass on replacement screens being flexible when pressed, I also there’s a sensor for the auto wipers that’s bonded to the glass so make sure that they work ok, you could take some photos of the screen position and trims to compare after it’s been changed to make sure everything fits as it should.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 pm

Sorry to hear of that OP. :(

This thread may be worth a quick read though:- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123428&hilit=windscreen
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:27 pm

If you have iDrive then there is a GPS aerial to worry about..many fitters break that as well…

You need a fitter whose done a similar BMW windscreen.

The rain sensor needs re-calibration when re-fitted..

I was lucky the area manager elected to do mine as he had so many dissatisfied customers from subordinates who has screwed the install up..

helmik

Post by helmik » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Cheers guys, I will do some pics in the morning, I’m off to the Triumph factory later on so I can do them first thing, new screens being done Friday after a 45 mile drive!! See how it copes with that.
Not too concerned about the seal, if it’s wrong they will keep getting called back until it’s sorted.
There is a sensor in the screen so I will check everything works afterwards. I assume it’s just for rain, nothing else is there??
Ta
Mick

helmik

Post by helmik » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 pm

Sorry PBondar, posted before I read your reply. The GPS aerial, is that In The centre bit where the rain sensor lives??
How does the rain sensor get calibrated!
Mick

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 am

helmik wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 pm Sorry PBondar, posted before I read your reply. The GPS aerial, is that In The centre bit where the rain sensor lives??
How does the rain sensor get calibrated!
Mick
Yes it it ..can be damaged very easily..you need a s/w tool to recalibrate it..the company should have the tool and know how to do it :thumbsup:

helmik

Post by helmik » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Ta, pics done and they will arrive after 1230 tomorrow!! Update after it’s done.
Ta
Mick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:17 pm

My first autoglass windshield cracked after a few days. Replacement fitter said it could be where the mastic was started from, he said he starts at centre. I noticed how they were stored on racks, i said it could been dropped on the rack. The crack started from where a rack support would have contacted.

helmik

Post by helmik » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:24 pm

So, all done today. The screen looks exactly like the one that was replaced. Not sure if that means it’s been done before or not. Near the top right hand corner there’s an arrow pointing down, with a line and I think the letter A, so is that on a genuine BMW screen as it was on the previous screen. Just wondered.
All looks ok, he told me he had checked the rain sensor, he also spent some time cleaning off some bond that was visible.
Fingers crossed it will be fine but we are off to London tomorrow in the TT so it won’t get a real run until I go home on Tuesday.
Cheers, have a good, hot, hot hot weekend all.
Mick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Autoglass people told me no way would the insurers pay for a genuine BMW glass.

helmik

Post by helmik » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:50 am

As I thought, guessing that mine may not have been the original screen, or else Autoglass have done a brilliant job of getting a very good copy of the BMW version.
Mick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 am

Imagine say in another 10 years trying to get windshield for a car with such low production numbers.

helmik

Post by helmik » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Bit more, the screen has a manufacturer’s name on it of FUYAO, laminated, solar tint. As I think this is the same as the original, I can only guess that maybe my screen has been replaced in the past, unless someone with a 2016 2.0 can check this to see if these are originals maybe??
Mick.

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:27 pm The rain sensor needs re-calibration when re-fitted..
Any idea if that applies to the E86 as well?
Might get mine replaced but if its going to be a total palaver I might pass :rofl:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings