Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Something priming every 61s?

Deebs

Post by Deebs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi all
I’m hoping for some magic, but looking at previous posts hasn’t revealed what might be going on, so I’m wondering if there is a techno wizard out there that might be able to explain what my 2010 3.0i sDrive is doing?

Symptoms:
1. Battery needed jumping (quite suddenly, I use a trickle charger to keep it healthy when not getting used a lot)
2. Every 61s there are 4 clicks in quick succession coming from somewhere near the gearbox casing (could it be something priming??)
3. Sporadically, there is a strange double vibration sound (like when you get a text with your phone is on silent but vibration on) coming from the front left headlight area.

Additional info:
1. Car has an MMI Prime fitted.
2. Car has a Nextbase Dash Cam hardwired (using the jumper fuse supplied).

No other mods / extra aftermarket gear.

My plan (unless someone can guide me better) is to disconnect the MMI and dash cam and wait to see if anything changes.
Then disconnect the battery and leave overnight to see if it ‘resets’ anything.

Would an OBD reader help here? I don’t have one but would be interested to know what brand people recommend. I can see that Carly seems popular, or Protool (but I don’t have an android phone)??

I searched back through some threads that mentioned the Bluetooth module not letting the car ‘sleep’. Do people think this could be related?

Any other thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Hopefuuly ph001 will be along soon he's the electronics guru on here imho. parasitic drain might be an issue if you have a sudden flat battery..these cars are electronics heavy so I think they will need replacing every 5 years (just my opinion) even if left on trickle

I use an Autophix 5900 code reader for a simple plug in solution, it does have a good battery health monitor on it as well as many other good features.

I think youre right in disconnecting the installed items, perhaps one at a time and see if that helps, the bluetooth searching shouldn't really cause an issue like you are having I dont think..does sound a bit odd to say the least
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Battery failure often causes the EFB to have a hissy fit...one option is that the EFB is re-cycling as it would do a version of this normally..

Once you've let an E89 have a dead battery you can be in for all sorts of issues ..

Ususally a new battery (if your other is more than say 2-3 years old) (and even if its newer if its been flattened for some time its u/s as far as an E89 is concerned)

As others say disconnect the obvious suspects..

The bluetooth issue wouldn't make any noises /vibrations..

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm

sorry pete, just to educate myself..what is an efb? :oops:

Deebs

Post by Deebs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Thank you both.

The battery is probably at least a few years old, so I guess it needs replacing. I think I’ll use it as an excuse to buy an obd coder, so I can play with the roof closure etc (I have comfort access, so I hope to get it to close on locking with key fob, seems to be some good posts on here suggesting it’s not too difficult :!: :!: )

I am going to try disconnecting the MMI and Dash cam (one at a time - good tip thanks) just to see if it makes any difference. I’ll update accordingly.

Thanks again.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm sorry pete, just to educate myself..what is an efb? :oops:
Dyslexia lures ko..

should have been electronic parking brake EPB not electronic flight bag EFB.. :headbang:

My computer's spell checker is still set up for my aviation work :tumbleweed:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm sorry pete, just to educate myself..what is an efb? :oops:
Dyslexia lures ko..

should have been electronic parking brake EPB not electronic flight bag EFB.. :headbang:

Haha..i was scratching my head for a while there thinking wtf was an efb:D I could only think of the epb but as you typed it out twice i assumed it wasnt a mistake and i was being a bit thick :lol:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:18 pm
Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm
Dyslexia lures ko..

Haha..i was scratching my head for a while there thinking wtf was an efb:D I could only think of the epb but as you typed it out twice i assumed it wasnt a mistake and i was being a bit thick :lol:
No worries no harm in asking or in this case my FU.. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:25 pm

It could have been Electric F***ing Brake :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Deebs

Post by Deebs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Update.

So, it was not either aftermarket add ons.

Disconnected the battery (having reconditioned it overnight with my ctek) for a few hours. On reconnection all seems well (for now).

Gives me time to buy an OBD reader before replacing the battery I guess.

Mr.tourette, does the autophix 5900 also electronically rewind the rear brake pistons? (I did it manually when I painted the callipers, but if a little box saves me splitting the motor off, all the better).

Thanks again all.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:43 am

Deebs wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:37 pm Update.

So, it was not either aftermarket add ons.

Disconnected the battery (having reconditioned it overnight with my ctek) for a few hours. On reconnection all seems well (for now).

Gives me time to buy an OBD reader before replacing the battery I guess.

Mr.tourette, does the autophix 5900 also electronically rewind the rear brake pistons? (I did it manually when I painted the callipers, but if a little box saves me splitting the motor off, all the better).

Thanks again all.
It does indeed mate.. Covers most bases, battery registration, brake servicing, service lights etc.. Very handy for home servicing

Deebs

Post by Deebs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:43 am

Just an update. New battery and all is well. Thanks for the help / advice.