Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant Empty

Tangax

Coolant Empty

Post by Tangax » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi,

I have a 2004 z4 e85 2.5L

Just found out the engine light means the coolant is low, so I checked and it's completely empty!

I asked for premix at Halfords and they gave me X-stream g48 so I thought I could just pour it straight in.

But got home and the instructions say mix with deionized water according to car manufacture?
Do I need to mix this 50/50 with distilled water?
Also, know a good container to mix them in?

Don't wanna just go pouring it in as it is and ruin the engine.

Thank You!

Heres what I bought:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... 0LEALw_wcB

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant Empty

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Before you pour the new coolant in it might be a good idea to find out why it was empty before you end up buying the shops entire stock of coolant! it’s common for the tanks to split.
Ps, if you post in the e85 section & not the e89 one you may get more advice :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Tangax

Coolant Empty

Post by Tangax » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Thanks,

I would prefer coolant in than no coolant for the meanwhile lol.

I understand from online it's either a leak in the tubes or the tank, probably best at some point for the garage to find the source then either put in some sealer or whatever needs doing, then do a full radiator clean.

For now some coolant shouldn't hurt so I don't end up steaming by the side of the road, surprised it hasn't already.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant Empty

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:55 am

Tangax wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 pm Thanks,

I would prefer coolant in than no coolant for the meanwhile lol.

I understand from online it's either a leak in the tubes or the tank, probably best at some point for the garage to find the source then either put in some sealer or whatever needs doing, then do a full radiator clean.

For now some coolant shouldn't hurt so I don't end up steaming by the side of the road, surprised it hasn't already.
If, as is most likely, the coolant expansion tank has split, then you will find it emptying out quite quickly once pressure and heat build up.
The other culprit could be the water pump.
It should be fairly easy to see by looking in from the top. The pump tends to leak onto the belts and pulleys and pray everywhere.
The tank is more likely to have a pool of water sitting on the under-tray, directly below it.

I would like to hope that no garage would put any sealant in! The guilty component needs to be changed.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: