Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Multiple failure indicated

jonathanrwbrooks

Post by jonathanrwbrooks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:28 pm

Hi All new to this forum. I have a 2011 315i Z4 and love it.

Had a fault last week that cleared down after overnight off and some resets on vehicle status. When the issue occurs the following errors are indicated: -

1. Heavy steering (steering assist fault indicated)
2. Cannot turn wipers off
3. Speedo not working
4. Windscreen washer not working
5. ABS indicated as not working
6. Seat belt, restraint and airbag fault indicated
7. Engine fault light on
8. Parking break fault indicated
9. Press start and then told to press start again.

The car does not go into limp mode. These all cleared down and now come back again.

Any pointers appreciated.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 am

Hi and firstly welcome to the forum

It could be a battery related issue, how old is it? The date is stamped on the negative terminal - week number and year (26-11)
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:26 am

:thumbsup:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:31 am

Chippie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 am Hi and firstly welcome to the forum

It could be a battery related issue, how old is it? The date is stamped on the negative terminal - week number and year (26-11)
Hello and welcome to the forum - definitly sounds like a battery issue, if this is failing it will cause multiple issues :|
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

The Zed Shed

Post by The Zed Shed » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:26 pm

The wipers staying on is a good indicator here.

Abs modules fail, causing garbage signals to be poured into the canbus, hence modules cannot talk to each other. PT-can is not affected, hence no limp mode.

Mike

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Good job it's just a car and not a nuclear power station.

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Wed May 17, 2023 3:39 pm

Hi All new to this forum. I have a 2011 315i Z4 and love it.

Had a fault last week that cleared down after overnight off and some resets on vehicle status. When the issue occurs the following errors are indicated: -

1. Heavy steering (steering assist fault indicated)
2. Cannot turn wipers off
3. Speedo not working
4. Windscreen washer not working
5. ABS indicated as not working
6. Seat belt, restraint and airbag fault indicated
7. Engine fault light on
8. Parking break fault indicated
9. Press start and then told to press start again.

The car does not go into limp mode. These all cleared down and now come back again.

Any pointers appreciated.
Hi all I am also new to this forum , this being my very first post (unfortunately) ! I have been experiencing the same issues with my Z, was the cause ever found and resolved?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:32 pm

This is usually caused by a CAN bus failure…which in itself can be either a loose wire, failure of module / ECU which takes everything else down.. :tumbleweed:

Crap aged flat battery is a primary cause… :thumbsdown:

So

Swap out and get a decent new battery and code it / register it…and/or get a decent code reader and/or take it to a decent Indy or Auto electrician :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:45 pm

Failing battery is always a suspect when there are so many (sometimes unrelated looking) failures at once.

But - it's so easy to check.

Go get a multimeter, open the boot, see what the voltage is at rest. If it's below 12.3v then your battery is as good as toast (very general voltage level) - you can get a lot more info by googling & step by step instructions on how to check.

Another good test is to just look at it. See the date? If it's >5 years ago, then no matter what the battery is significantly below it's best performance. They age & fail..... it's the way of physics.

About £100 to get a new one.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:50 pm

Thanks for your responses, the battery is less than five months old, it and the alternator are in perfect health, I also reset and registered the battery after installation. I have since had the FMR module serviced (although no issue was found with the software) and swapped out the fuse box or BCD module which I still have to code. After swapping out the BCD module some of the issues went away but the initial ones remain.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:37 pm

If the DSC unit goes south it takes out most of the systems you highlighted..have you checked the fuses?

What’s the code reader say?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:47 pm

I checked all the fuses, and they were good, but I plan to recheck them this weekend to make sure nothing has since changed. The car operates normally for a couple hours then all of a sudden the warning lights turn on together with the wipers, the transmission becomes unstable, and the E brake does not respond with the motor running. If scanned before there's no code but when scanned during the episode everything is throwing a fuss as expected, I am chasing the initiator right now. I had the car scanned couple times by non-BMW techs who don't seem to have a clue! I plan to get Bimmer Geeks and do it myself, just looking for some pointers.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:53 pm

dumaurier7 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:47 pm I checked all the fuses, and they were good, but I plan to recheck them this weekend to make sure nothing has since changed. The car operates normally for a couple hours then all of a sudden the warning lights turn on together with the wipers, the transmission becomes unstable, and the E brake does not respond with the motor running. If scanned before there's no code but when scanned during the episode everything is throwing a fuss as expected, I am chasing the initiator right now. I had the car scanned couple times by non-BMW techs who don't seem to have a clue! I plan to get Bimmer Geeks and do it myself, just looking for some pointers.
When it goes wrong you need to see if you have some can bus communication errors..that’s what gives the the game away..obviously when it’s ok then you won’t have such errors…

Sounds like a loose connector..FRM module connector’s correctly seated…?

I had an incorrectly seated connector and it generated over 45 errors..

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:01 pm

I can't see it because this started to happen out of the blue, car has only 18K km on the clock so was barely touched, only event prior to this is a battery failure (the previous owner put in the wrong (led acid) battery, which was he did not register), car overcharged the battery which led to its eventual demise. I started disconnecting stuff after this trying to diagnose the issue, but I will re-check everything this weekend to be sure.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 pm

dumaurier7 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:01 pm I can't see it because this started to happen out of the blue, car has only 18K km on the clock so was barely touched, only event prior to this is a battery failure (the previous owner put in the wrong (led acid) battery, which was he did not register), car overcharged the battery which led to its eventual demise. I started disconnecting stuff after this trying to diagnose the issue, but I will re-check everything this weekend to be sure.
Yup ..oh dear…so many stories of issues with E89 systems start with f***ed up batteries.. :tumbleweed: