Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter motor?

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Had a couple of instances where the car (35is) has struggled to start. It turns over a few times then fires up ….it can’t be the battery as I’ve had that replaced

Is this likely to be the start of the starter motor giving up the ghost?

Ps oddly both times were in the same parking spot at the cinema I take my son to!!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Well it could be the starter, yes.
But saying 'it can't be the battery' is an assumption.
For instance, why did you change it? Was it old, or just not holding a charge?
Is it possible there is a constant draw on the battery and the cinema is not far enough away from home for the battery to recharge after the first start?
Just saying that because something has just been replaced, don't ignore it when another issue arises.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply

I’m not mechanically minded so appreciate any and all comments and apologise for my stupid questions:)

I replaced the battery as I didn’t know how old the battery was when I got the car and got an error message for low charge. I know the battery causes issues if faulty so changed it to be sure I had a good working one

The cinema is an hour away so a decent drive and the car mainly gets used for longer drives.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Cuprat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:35 pm Thanks for the reply

I’m not mechanically minded so appreciate any and all comments and apologise for my stupid questions:)

I replaced the battery as I didn’t know how old the battery was when I got the car and got an error message for low charge. I know the battery causes issues if faulty so changed it to be sure I had a good working one

The cinema is an hour away so a decent drive and the car mainly gets used for longer drives.
Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was meant.
In that case, I would put it down purely to coincidence and yes, consider the starter motor.
Do check first though that the connections to the battery have been put on nice and tight.

Of course, if said son is leaving his Ipad charging in the car during the film..................... :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:59 pm

:) I don’t think it’s his iPad …. That never leaves his side!

It happened once before the battery change and once after so I don’t think it’s the battery connections. I have the BMW warranty and break down cover so will see how it goes but ideally I’d prefer not to have a fail to start. It’s in for its MOT reasonably soon so will get it looked at then.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:01 pm

When you say it struggles to start, does it turn over at the same speed but just takes a longer to start or is it turning over slower?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Little hard to describe and I have been enjoying the pub and sun today :)

Usually, push the start button and engine starts instantaneously

Every now and again, press the start button and it makes a starting noise, ‘turns over’ a few times like it’s trying to fire up then the engine starts

I’ve only ever had a starter motor issue once before on a previous car and that just literally didn’t do anything when the key was turned…. Tap of the hammer and away it went. That was a mini from the late 80s though !

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:32 pm

Don't right off an injector problem, could one leaking producing a hard to crank over if it stops at just before top dead centre, once clears fires up. See if black smoke from exhaust on start.

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks. I’ll check that out

I think the car has had new injectors fairly recently but I guess that doesn’t necessarily mean there is no problem

SV8Predator

Starter motor?

Post by SV8Predator » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:09 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:32 pm Don't right off an injector problem, could one leaking producing a hard to crank over if it stops at just before top dead centre, once clears fires up. See if black smoke from exhaust on start.
Run that one past us again?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:31 am

SV8Predator wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:09 pm
flybobbie wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:32 pm Don't right off an injector problem, could one leaking producing a hard to crank over if it stops at just before top dead centre, once clears fires up. See if black smoke from exhaust on start.
Run that one past us again?
If near tdc and fuel drips in possible slight hyd. lock, causing the motor to struggle to turn engine. Reason why it's random. Once cleared the engine turns normally and starts. Any excess fuel burns giving a black exhaust smoke.
Could pull the plugs see if any are sooty.

Cuprat

Starter motor?

Post by Cuprat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:56 am

If injector issue would you potentially get a slight fuel smell? I did notice a slight smell after the last struggle to start but thought nothing of it

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:13 am

My 23i N52 gives a slight fuel smell if the wind blows from behind car, no problems starting though.

SV8Predator

Starter motor?

Post by SV8Predator » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:31 am If near tdc and fuel drips in possible slight hyd. lock, causing the motor to struggle to turn engine.
If there was a hydraulic lock, the engine would be damaged. Is this scenario something you've actually experienced?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 pm

SV8Predator wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 pm
flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:31 am If near tdc and fuel drips in possible slight hyd. lock, causing the motor to struggle to turn engine.
If there was a hydraulic lock, the engine would be damaged. Is this scenario something you've actually experienced?
No, just a theory. If the cyl. had a significant amount of fuel it would lock.