Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof rattling or jiggling or vibrating or squeeking

Portisz4

Post by Portisz4 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:21 am

Could anyone tell me how to stop this bleedin roof from making all the noises it makes when I'm bouncing down a standard English pothole ridden , undulating, under invested heap of road with concrete tyres.
It's just not cricket. I can't take it no more.

I have a little old Audi and it's a total dream to drive , it's like floating on air and silent . Then I get the the z4 and I'm like nope put it back in the garage, can't cope :rofl: :)

Just kidding, it's awesome but the roof ( when up I mean because it's usually down!! ) must be moving around on the back and makes all manor of joint to joint noises.

I'm gonna have to vaseline all over it :o
Help!!!!

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:32 am

There are many ares that can cause rattles..assuming it’s the roof and it’s area and not a broken springs quite common as a source of squeaks..

Then there are many areas where it can be..

With the roof up sounds travel from the source and appear elsewhere..I had a set of very nasty rattles which appeared to be near the rear window but were actually coming from the trim covers over the seat belt rolls..

People tend to use car density foam stuffed in various crevices amongst many techniques

The rear boot tray that you pull over to allow the roof to operate often is a source with broken hinges..

Portisz4

Post by Portisz4 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:42 am

The title may be a little misleading. It's where the roofs sits down I think.
It's moving around , that kind of thing. You don't get it in a normal car. Rubber or vinyl or plastic against each other.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 am

Normally the roof sits pretty positively down when stored..

There are various bump stops which can be adjusted to settle it positively plus some people use bits of rubber tubing around various arms..

Personally I’ve never had issues in that stowed position.

Portisz4

Post by Portisz4 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am

No, I mean when the roof is up and sat or whatever it's sat on. It's all wiggling around making a lots of ....wiggling noises !!!!

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am

Aha we got there…

Well that’s definitely not ok nor normal…

Hopefully Robbi our resident roof rocket scientist on roofs should be along to advise…