Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replaced Battery Now No E-brake No Cruise Control etc

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 pm

I replaced my battery after the car would not start. With the new battery car starts fine but the E-brake does not work. Also the cruise control does not work and I get a TPMS not functioning warning on the dash as well.

I've read where this maybe a software glitch that arises after the low voltage condition?

Has anyone else experienced this?
What's the fix?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Valor1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 pm I replaced my battery after the car would not start. With the new battery car starts fine but the E-brake does not work. Also the cruise control does not work and I get a TPMS not functioning warning on the dash as well.

I've read where this maybe a software glitch that arises after the low voltage condition?

What's the fix?
First - have you coded the battery to the car?

Second, the e-brake can fail if your battery goes low, it happened to mine and it is a software update required.

Mine was done at BMW but I am sure a decent indie could sort it out

Not certain abut CC or TPMS
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 pm
Valor1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 pm I replaced my battery after the car would not start. With the new battery car starts fine but the E-brake does not work. Also the cruise control does not work and I get a TPMS not functioning warning on the dash as well.

What's the fix?

Second, the e-brake can fail if your battery goes low, it happened to mine and it is a software update required.

My understanding is battery coding relates to recharging of the battery and does not impact other systems?

Why would the e-brake, an important safety item, fail if a battery goes low?

Do you know what kind of software update is required? The local dealer, BMW of Beverly Hills, gives me a blank look when I mention that I think it is a software update.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:57 pm

My understanding is battery coding relates to recharging of the battery and does not impact other systems?

Do you know what kind of software update is required? The local dealer, BMW of Beverly Hills, gives me a blank look when I mention that I think it is a software update.
[/quote]

just noted that you are in the states, not certain if the e-brake issue affect cars stateside, however, this is a well know and discussed point on here - just do a search as you are not exactly the first one to ask about safety and brakes but it was 100% a software issue on mine, it failed when I went to collect the car and it took 4 or 5 weeks to get it sorted due to the pandemic.

Mine also showed wheel speed sensor failure

Not certain what the coding of the battery relates too, just know it needs to be coded.
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Valor1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 pm

What's the fix?

Just one thread on it, there are several if you search

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=128219&p=1826904&h ... e#p1826904

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:01 pm

The e brake cpu wakes up periodically/ is woken up when certain events happen..

With a flat battery early versions would brick themselves on power up..

Software update removed this bug..

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Have a read of the post below it should help getting it resolved
    viewtopic.php?f=45&t=85788&hilit=Epb+software+update
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:24 pm

Chippie wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm Have a read of the post below it should help getting it resolved
    Think this post sums it up -

Well I've done a diagnostics scan on the car and I get error code 6017 which is the wheel speed sensor DFA_EMF in the parking brake module.

Turns out that a drop in voltage I.e. Your battery charge is low can throw this up. So if you've a new car and leave it parked up for 3 weeks you might get the same issue.

Basically the only way to cure this is to complete a full softwear update to the vehicle including CAS per diag code D3440_EMF0000T_90_200. After programing fault codes should be cleared and road tested performed.

So I suspect that's what happened to be OP in this one. It's a joke really that it can throw an error that can only be resolved via a softwear update. Now to get it booked in.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:24 pm
    Chippie wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm Have a read of the post below it should help getting it resolved

Well I've done a diagnostics scan on the car and I get error code 6017 which is the wheel speed sensor DFA_EMF in the parking brake module.

Turns out that a drop in voltage I.e. Your battery charge is low can throw this up. So if you've a new car and leave it parked up for 3 weeks you might get the same issue.

Basically the only way to cure this is to complete a full softwear update to the vehicle including CAS per diag code D3440_EMF0000T_90_200. After programing fault codes should be cleared and road tested performed.

So I suspect that's what happened to be OP in this one. It's a joke really that it can throw an error that can only be resolved via a softwear update. Now to get it booked in.
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! Sounds like the issue I am having. Now after reading that thread I don't understand why BMW would charge us to fix their software glitch? My dealer wants to charge me over $200 to diagnose plus $$$ to fix the problem even after I just explained all of this information to the Tech. I am now reaching out to the service manager.

As others have noted, this is a safety issue and a low battery should not cause your emergency brake to fail.

Page 52 of the owners manual says this is can be used as an emergency brake, so why would BMW not fix this safety defect without charging its customers?

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm

Valor1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Sounds like the issue I am having. Now after reading that thread I don't understand why BMW would charge us to fix their software glitch? My dealer wants to charge me over $200 to diagnose plus $$$ to fix the problem even after I just explained all of this information to the Tech. I am now reaching out to the service manager.

As others have noted, this is a safety issue and a low battery should not cause your emergency brake to fail.

Page 52 of the owners manual says this is can be used as an emergency brake, so why would BMW not fix this safety defect without charging its customers?
    So they can screw more money from their trusting customers that why, you’re lucky over there as bmw replaced your cracked 19” wheels & hpfp’s - over here they just laughed at us :o
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:08 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm

So they can screw more money from their trusting customers that why, you’re lucky over there as bmw replaced your cracked 19” wheels & hpfp’s - over here they just laughed at us :o
    Rob
    The issues is that if it is something else then you could be paying twice anyway so the diagnostic check should point to the correct repair but $200 seems a lot based on uk pricing of around £60 to £80 (which we also begrudge paying), remember we are only advising what we think is the cause based on your comments - we cant see the car.

You mentioned the local stealer was puzzled by your initial software update, not certain I would be going to them after this (although when I bought mine from a non franchised dealer they changed the wheel speed sensor first - then I told them what the issue was based on the threads in here) - they will be charging $300 for the update as well I imagine which is a real con as plug in laptop, start update and work on another car while just checking on yours occasionally, they certainly don't sit three for 3 hours.

Is there another local BMW garage or a good independent you can go to - maybe even call to see if they have any ideas on the issue.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:47 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm

Rob
    Wow that's terrible. For the record, they did not replace my wheels....for reasons beyond me. Does Porsche treat their customers like this?

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:55 am

So I insisted the dealer do the "recall" software update which was for emissions purposes. I had to nearly argue with the service advisor to have that update done first before spending over $200 on a diagnostic run: A service advisor who frankly seemed to know very little about cars and care for the customer even less!

Well, seems the emissions update is really a full DME update and viola, E-Brake is working again!

Now I have two other issues:

1. How to delete music files from the harddrive.....and BMW of Beverly Hills could not figure it out!

2. How to get oil level readout as system says "oil level measure is inactive due to sensor error."

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 am

The engine has to be up to normal operating temperature and the car on a level surface to check the oil level, if it still won’t read the oil level then you may have a faulty oil level sensor
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

flybobbie
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:36 am

I have said about this for ages, software stopping the ebrake working should be a recall item, no different to a faulty air bag.
    Ebrake is a safety critical item, if BMW have messed up they need to fix it.

Never had problem with ebrake but shortly after i bought my car a 2009 23i it was called back in 2013 for a security software update.
    I wonder if that over the years stopped any problem with ebrake.

My colleagues car a 2012 at 12k miles the ebrake failed, last straw of various failures she got rid of car.