Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MTEC Dimpled & Grooved Discs

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 am

This is the main reason why most car makers only fit plain solid (or ventilated) disks to their cars. Like i said before I've had many bikes over the years which have had drilled disks and they were all noisy but you only really hear it if you ride without a helmet. I can even hear it on my mountain bike which has drilled floating disks on both ends.

Some people notice the noise more than others do. Its more obvious with the roof and windows down and even more obvious if you are driving down narrow roads where the sound reflects off buildings and walls. I can't hear any noise with the roof up.

I have MTEC dimpled and grooved disks with their own pads, they work very well (the pads are very dusty though) and they are certainly cheap enough.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm

I have no noise and use Green stuff pads, very little dust unlike the BMW pads that came off.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:44 am

Pickster wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:41 am Pads are standard MTEC own brand bought with the discs.
The noise under braking sounds like a fast click ,almost like an auto ignition on a gas appliance.
Then there's the rub increases and decreases with speed.
Thought they were just bedding in noises but I've done over a 1000 miles with them now and still same. Hence I'm thinking there's an issue
I would contact Mtec and query it with them and see if they say this is normal or if there is a defect.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Where the mtec pads rubber backed like green stuff pads to stop noise.

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Interesting development, possibly school boy error.
Jacked the car up on Saturday spun the wheel to see which was making the noise, jacked left then right and spun both wheels.
there was a noise but it wasn't rubbing to the extent of stopping the wheel. Decided I'm gonna try some EBC pads maybe green stuff.

Dropped the car back down, was gonna nip to shops for alcoholic supplies before the Formula 1 kicked off with the sprint race.

Well I though I'd broken it good and proper.

Tyre pressure alarm.
Power steering alarm
Air Bags, Belt tensioner and belt force failure.
ABS & Brake force distribution failed.
Roof wouldn't close.

Suffice it to say it didn't like being jacked up and the wheels spun !!!!

Ran it up and down the drive a couple of times and most of the faults cleared bar an engine fault light, couldn't get Carly connected to clear it, It tried to do an update and then fell over. left it for the night went out Sunday and fired it up all faults cleared.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Check your battery is in good nick.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Pickster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:50 pm Well I though I'd broken it good and proper.

Tyre pressure alarm.
Power steering alarm
Roof wouldn't close.

They lift each end off the ground and spin the wheels by hand during an MOT and I've never heard of that triggering error codes/lights
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm

Pickster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:50 pm Interesting development, possibly school boy error.
Jacked the car up on Saturday spun the wheel to see which was making the noise, jacked left then right and spun both wheels.
there was a noise but it wasn't rubbing to the extent of stopping the wheel. Decided I'm gonna try some EBC pads maybe green stuff.

Dropped the car back down, was gonna nip to shops for alcoholic supplies before the Formula 1 kicked off with the sprint race.

Tyre pressure alarm.
Power steering alarm
Roof wouldn't close.

Ran it up and down the drive a couple of times and most of the faults cleared bar an engine fault light, couldn't get Carly connected to clear it, It tried to do an update and then fell over. left it for the night went out Sunday and fired it up all faults cleared.
I assume you had the start/ignition circuit live?

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:28 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm
Pickster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:50 pm Interesting development, possibly school boy error.

Tyre pressure alarm.
Power steering alarm
Roof wouldn't close.

I assume you had the start/ignition circuit live?
May have had the key in the slot can't remember, batteries about a month old and registered to the car.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Suspect it wouldn't have triggered any issues had the ignition not been on! :thumbsup: