Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FRM Module Error (Carly Coding)

bte123

Post by bte123 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi Guys,

So I recently got my new toys (carly, foxwell reader, bmw tools from bimmer geek) and delved into trying to learn as much as possible about the features I wanted to add to my E89.

It's obvious that a few things have been coded before, but the big problem I have is the error when attempting to change anything in the FRM module - Carly raises a huge warning about the potential of bricking the FRM due to a known fault with those produced after a certain date that are FRM 2 or FRM 3, from circa 2010 onwards.

This is what the carly website has to say about it - https://carly.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t%20sector.

What I was wondering is, if there was any way using INPA or NCSEXPERT to re-set the FRM to factory settings so I can in essence start again - maybe by uploading the original man file or perhaps an in built BMW feature to do the same? I'm obviously reluctant to push past the error from Carly and risk bricking the FRM meaning an expensive trip to the stealers.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 pm

The FRM seems to be a weak point and many coders seemed to have f^&*ed them up as they messed around...

Most issues seem to arise when actually something physical has happened like a bulb failure or wiring short.

Using Bimmergeeks Protool which does some of the s/w reset type things like ISTA etc I did manage to reset my FRM when it got its knickers in a twist..but now leave it well alone apart from 5 winks on the indicator!

bte123

Post by bte123 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 pm The FRM seems to be a weak point and many coders seemed to have f^&*ed them up as they messed around...

Most issues seem to arise when actually something physical has happened like a bulb failure or wiring short.

Using Bimmergeeks Protool which does some of the s/w reset type things like ISTA etc I did manage to reset my FRM when it got its knickers in a twist..but now leave it well alone apart from 5 winks on the indicator!
5 winks and folding mirrors is what I want! 3 just doesn't do the business and the mirror button is doing my head in, twice a journey.

I am tempted to just do it through NCSExpert but am put off by some of the language obstacles - people obviously overcome these so I'd best get looking.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm

bte123 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 pm The FRM seems to be a weak point and many coders seemed to have f^&*ed them up as they messed around...

5 winks and folding mirrors is what I want! 3 just doesn't do the business and the mirror button is doing my head in, twice a journey.

I am tempted to just do it through NCSExpert but am put off by some of the language obstacles - people obviously overcome these so I'd best get looking.
I had the same issues..I do now have all that loaded and working on an i7 laptop but for what I need much prefer Bimmergeeks Protool on a dedicated android phone..I carry it in the car so can read fault codes on the road! :driving: :thumbsup: