Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sytners botch insured warranty repair

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 am

Have to question competence of mechanics at Syther Sheffield after my recent experience.
Car is a Dec 2009 DCT 35Is which after prolonged period without a response was finally approved for roof corrosion repair and took in the car in on Monday 24th May.
Whilst on site asked them to check for engine whine and noise -which had been identified by RAC in Nov 2020 when I bought the car.
Got a health check video on day of admission saying oil leak from rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing. Advised then car covered by BMW inured used warranty and also asked them to check o/s rear adjustable damper and asked about engine noise check. Came back to say fuel pump needed replacement and this would be done with rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing. Rear damper would be checked once car back on ramp.
Collected car on Friday 11th did about 70 miles all short journeys (total 6 stops) and put car in garage about 4pm. Lunch time next day reverse out of garage and coolant light low light on- check coolant tank no visible sign of level stick and fluid(I'm not sure if coolant) on garage floor. Ring Sytners and no one available in service but someone would ring back. No return phone call and closed at 5. My warranty does not include roadside assistance but they agreed as a gesture of goodwill to send someone out to look at car. Mechanic finds water leak running down front of block from near oil filter housing and various belts pulleys etc wet with coolant. They collecting car tomorrow to take to Sytners.
Considerable amount additional coolant on garage floor, run on shields from front and dripped of rear. Not sure what damage coolant will do, plastic shields should hopefully clean up ok not sure about other components.
The rocker cover gasket had already been done by Sytners in June 2020.
Poor service in my opinion -already made complaint (in polite manner) to service coordinator about non return of phone calls re updates on situation with car prior to this. Repair makes question abilities of technicians that do the work.
Is coolant likely to damage belts etc and should I ask for any remedial cleaning
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Probably best to get a diagnosis on what cause the coolant leak first I would suggest..

There are a lot of plastic parts to these engines that do not age well and the 35i runs very hot which doesn’t help.

Once disturbed they often prove problematic to reseal properly, sometimes replacement is the only course.

Realistically these days most garages are only a Monday to Friday affair so I think your service expectations may have been optimistic for a Saturday..especially in these COVID times..

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:36 pm
Realistically these days most garages are only a Monday to Friday affair so I think your service expectations may have been optimistic for a Saturday..especially in these COVID times..
Agreed about working hours rang expected to be told service was closed but was advised service coordinator who looked after car was in and message would be passed to him to return call that afternoon. No other expectations, 4hrs without a return call is just poor customer service in my opinion(Covid or not).
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:44 pm

2k35is wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:36 pm
Agreed about working hours rang expected to be told service was closed but was advised service coordinator who looked after car was in and message would be passed to him to return call that afternoon. No other expectations, 4hrs without a return call is just poor customer service in my opinion(Covid or not).
I note your dissapointment..

I always say if they don't treat you well when buying a car what happens afterwards..

With Peter Vardy I couldn't even give them the money to buy a car.. they sold it to someone else while I was on the way to test drive / buy..

That was 18 months ago before the current buying frenzy..

So my expectations for you weren't high..

Hope you get it sorted out..if you've got a warranty at least you are not going to be out of pocket..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Car fixers, about as skilled as aircraft "mechanics". Don't trust any of them.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am

Coolant won't hurt anything - I'll just make a mess!

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:08 am

Rockhopper wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am Coolant won't hurt anything - I'll just make a mess!
Antifreeze all over front of block serpent belt and sprayed from belt onto chassis rails, radiator, fan and undercovers etc I'm not so sure. Google says to get belt changed different type of rubber to hoses- see what Sytners say.
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:42 am

It'll be fine. Nothing to worry about.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 am

2k35is wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:08 am
Rockhopper wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am Coolant won't hurt anything - I'll just make a mess!
Antifreeze all over front of block serpent belt and sprayed from belt onto chassis rails, radiator, fan and undercovers etc I'm not so sure. Google says to get belt changed different type of rubber to hoses- see what Sytners say.
Well Synters will obviously say change it, especially if you are paying........
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:26 am

Turns out O ring "nicked-Sythers description" on fitting been replaced belt etc cleaned up - obviously no cost to me.
Car was supposed to be returned to me last night, still in their secure compound this morning. Just got call to say car on way back now being delivered by Sytner employees
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Is all ok now?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:44 pm

Yes but not without more hassle After car was delivered by Sytner employees on Weds morning Go out in it and roof malfunctions and won't go down. Talk to Sytner's technician get roof down and agree to monitor over next few days Sytners pass details to bodyshop. They ring me and I agree to take in next weds/thursday for them to check it out. Don't use car Friday(raining all day) Saturday reverse out of garage try roof and again it malfunctions. and will not move either way, boot lid does not lock into place so car not useable. Leave msg with bodyshop sat morning who ring me on Monday and Jason turns up try's roof and still malfunctioning but eventually manages to get it into fully closed position. Leaves Sytners loan car takes mine back to garage and get phone call few hours later same day saying fault codes cleared and roof fixed. Car returned to me yesterday (Tuesday) by Jason , impressed very knowledgeable about BMW convertible roofs.
Been out in it today (weds) only about 10miles and at moment everything seems fine
Annoying that I've not had use of car for 3 weekends as its been stuck in mine or Sytners garage. Just hoping that I get thro this weekend without a hitch
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT