Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dead Battery after 5 Days Idle

DAG

Post by DAG » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi Team. 2016 3.5i. 12,935 original miles. New battery installed Feb 21 at BMW dealer. Interstate AGM. I bought the car in March of 21. I live in Virginia and temp has been between 50 and 90 F for the last 3 months. The car sits in the garage during the week and sometimes weekends. After about 7 - 9 days I go to start it up and it needs a jump. No other issue other than that. I am taking battery back to Interstate today so they can test it. If that comes back OK, than what else is happening? Why do I need to jump it only after it sitting idle 7-9 days? Thanks in advance.

304frp

Post by 304frp » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:41 pm

Is it an option to use a battery conditioner, my zed is hooked up whenever it’s not in use , to date I have no issues and my car sits for weeks , especially during the winter .
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm

+1, a trickle charger hooked up under the bonnet/hood will sort that out.

Saying that a battery that’s a few months old should not be fully discharging in a week unless there’s a drain on it :thumbsdown:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:59 pm

You must have a circuit draining the battery..either something like a tracker / dash cam / after market blue tooth device..

There was an issue of some car’s Bluetooth module not allowing full shut down ..a software revision fixed that..

A fully battery charged battery should last at least 6 weeks then start ..

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:09 pm

+1 trickle charger, esp for cars that have minimal use, stops some of them electrical gremlins moving in

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:42 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:59 pm You must have a circuit draining the battery..either something like a tracker / dash cam / after market blue tooth device..

There was an issue of some car’s Bluetooth module not allowing full shut down ..a software revision fixed that..

A fully battery charged battery should last at least 6 weeks then start ..
    :thumbsup:

As long as you are not in and out of the car waking the system. Let it go to sleep and wake it up when you want to drive it.
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: