Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tailgate

cliff

Tailgate

Post by cliff » Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am

2012 Z4 Tailgate locks/unlocks continuously with or without engine running, taken rear paneling off boot lid sprayed both motors with WD40 not made any difference, when I lock the car it starts again after a couple of seconds and the Alarm then goes into active
Any Ideas cheers, the car had been in storage for 8 months and was fine beforehand, had it MOTd then 2 days later this started.

Chippie

Tailgate

Post by Chippie » Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am

Hi Cliff and welcome to the forum
There’s an issue where the wires going to the soft close have been cut through from the factory when stripping the outer plastic coating, if you do a search I’m sure you will find a post on how to make the repair
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

RobbiZ4

Tailgate

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:08 pm

Chippie wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am ...have been cut through from the factory when stripping the outer plastic coating...
To be honest, that is nonsense. :roll: I know, it has been repeated several times in this forum, but that doesn't make it true.
Even the broken wires in the roof shell have exactly the same cuts in their plastic coating. And there were absolutely no stripping activities in the factory. :rofl:

The rest of your explanation is indeed correct. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Tailgate

Post by flybobbie » Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:08 pm
Chippie wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am ...have been cut through from the factory when stripping the outer plastic coating...
To be honest, that is nonsense. :roll: I know, it has been repeated several times in this forum, but that doesn't make it true.
Even the broken wires in the roof shell have exactly the same cuts in their plastic coating. And there were absolutely no stripping activities in the factory. :rofl:

The rest of your explanation is indeed correct. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Offer a plausible explanation of cuts in exactly same place on many car wires.
Only person that can tell the truth is the person making the wires.
Don't think they will come forward in a hurry.

RobbiZ4

Tailgate

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 pm Offer a plausible explanation of cuts in exactly same place on many car wires.
As said, the plastic coatings have exactly the same cuts as in the wires of the hydraulic loom in the roof shells.

The problem arises from the non-functioning strain relief on the white clip. Unfortunately this strain relief is too loose, i.e. the diameter of the white clip is too big for the 3 wires. In combination with the movement of these 3 wires, the cut occurs.

I always put some fabric tape around the 3 wires, put it back into the white clip and secure that white clip with a small zip tie.
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Mon May 31, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

RobbiZ4

Tailgate

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 pm

This is a video from @germinator, where you can see the movement of these 3 wires on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_M3AjbUjUk

You have to keep in mind, that these locking systems were produced between 2008/9 and 2016, in total more than 120,000 items. This volume could not be produced by a single person with an incorrectly set tool. From my point of view, it is very unlikely, that such a production error will not be noticed and corrected over the years.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Tailgate

Post by flybobbie » Mon May 31, 2021 11:43 pm

There is no way all 3 wires would cut at exactly the same place, no randomness, no stretching.
The same would happen to the right motor, but it doesn't, why i wonder.

Because the wires are different colours except the earth wire.
They were cut at a different time on the cable stripping machine.

The only thing holding the wires is the copper core.

RobbiZ4

Tailgate

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:57 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:43 pm There is no way all 3 wires would cut at exactly the same place, no randomness, no stretching.
The same would happen to the right motor, but it doesn't, why i wonder.

Because the wires are different colours except the earth wire.
They were cut at a different time on the cable stripping machine.

The only thing holding the wires is the copper core.
Well, it does on the right as well. It's currently seldom, but i've already repaired seveal units on the right. There is a minor different move behaviour between the left and the right, that seems to make this small different in statistics.

Once again, more than 120.000 produced units, all with the same production fault spreaded over 8 years?
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

mcbutler

Tailgate

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:32 am

I think this problem is most likely closed by people not using the inbuilt soft close of the boot lid.
At meets I have seen people drop the boot lid to close it, not needed, just put it down on the seal with your hand and it closes itself.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

RobbiZ4

Tailgate

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:32 am

mcbutler wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:32 am I think this problem is most likely closed by people not using the inbuilt soft close of the boot lid.
At meets I have seen people drop the boot lid to close it, not needed, just put it down on the seal with your hand and it closes itself.
That's another point, I always recommend the owners.
Nevertheless, the root cause is a constructive one.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932