Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 35i sudden loss of power, code 5A53

R.E92

2010 35i sudden loss of power, no codes

Post by R.E92 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:31 pm

enzed4 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am
R.E92 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:08 pm Sprocket symbol is a transmission fault.

Sounds like an over temperature fault but you would need to scan the gearbox for codes. You can do that with something like INPA or ISTA on a laptop or using the Pro Tool app.

An over temperature fault is often triggered by clutch slip which in turn is usually a result of low transmission fluid. I'd check the trans for any leaks.

Clutch slip from too much torque is also a cause but you're nowhere near the limits with MHD stage 1. The DCT can hold about 600nm in standard form and over 700nm with an xHP transmission tune.
Thanks, I have INPA but its setup for the e85. I have the e89 daten files but never got around to getting it working. Looks like this may be a good reason to. I assume it will store shadow codes for the trans same as other modules? I'll also see about checking for any leaks underneath.
Edit: Sorry, just realised I was confusing INPA with NCS. I don't need daten files for INPA so should be able to check as it is setup currently - can't remember if there's any additional setup for the e89, it's been a while since I've used it.
The only difference between connecting to an E85 and E89 is the cable. There was a protocol change between the models so you need to make sure the cable works on DCAN cars.

You might not get a menu option in INPA for E89, you can just use E90 and then select the GS40 transmission, it's the same trans.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:03 am

R.E92 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:31 pm
enzed4 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am
R.E92 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:08 pm Sprocket symbol is a transmission fault.

Sounds like an over temperature fault but you would need to scan the gearbox for codes. You can do that with something like INPA or ISTA on a laptop or using the Pro Tool app.

An over temperature fault is often triggered by clutch slip which in turn is usually a result of low transmission fluid. I'd check the trans for any leaks.

Clutch slip from too much torque is also a cause but you're nowhere near the limits with MHD stage 1. The DCT can hold about 600nm in standard form and over 700nm with an xHP transmission tune.
Thanks, I have INPA but its setup for the e85. I have the e89 daten files but never got around to getting it working. Looks like this may be a good reason to. I assume it will store shadow codes for the trans same as other modules? I'll also see about checking for any leaks underneath.
Edit: Sorry, just realised I was confusing INPA with NCS. I don't need daten files for INPA so should be able to check as it is setup currently - can't remember if there's any additional setup for the e89, it's been a while since I've used it.
The only difference between connecting to an E85 and E89 is the cable. There was a protocol change between the models so you need to make sure the cable works on DCAN cars.

You might not get a menu option in INPA for E89, you can just use E90 and then select the GS40 transmission, it's the same trans.
Thanks - I've used the cable with INPA on the E89 before (I think), it needed an adaptor to work with the E85 but not with the E89.
I ran a scan with Carly (should have done this first, the MHD codes scanner is fairly basic) and sure enough there was a 5A53 "Transmission overheating: red phase" code. I've updated the thread title accordingly.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 am

If it still does it on the factory map and turns out not to be the transmission I would be looking at the high pressure fuel pump. No.1 cause of WOT power loss on the N54.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:48 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 am If it still does it on the factory map and turns out not to be the transmission I would be looking at the high pressure fuel pump. No.1 cause of WOT power loss on the N54.
He's just posted that he has a transmission overheating error. No need to look any further.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am

ph001 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 am If it still does it on the factory map and turns out not to be the transmission I would be looking at the high pressure fuel pump. No.1 cause of WOT power loss on the N54.
I replaced the HPFP a couple of months ago. The problem is with the trans, unfortunately.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am

enzed4 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am
I replaced the HPFP a couple of months ago. The problem is with the trans, unfortunately.
Why would it only do it when you manually selected the lever to Sport though?
Or was that just coincidence?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 28, 2021 3:39 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am
enzed4 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am
I think sport settings change the shift points on the n54 cars, possibly putting more strain/heat on the transmission?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:39 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am
enzed4 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am I replaced the HPFP a couple of months ago. The problem is with the trans, unfortunately.
I think sport settings change the shift points on the n54 cars, possibly putting more strain/heat on the transmission?
Rob
Yes, but I'm sure he said it's only when he manually moved the lever over it happened, not when the Sport button was engaged??
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm

The gearbox will naturally slip less when sport is active and also increases line pressure so you get more clamping force on the clutches, the revs are also higher which puts less strain on the transmission. The worst-case scenario for the DCT is when changing down multiple gears in normal mode. If you're in 7th gear and mash the pedal so it skips down to 3rd then this is a perfect storm that will highlight any weakness.

It's not normally a problem as the DCT is a really rugged box. The only times I've seen people have problems is on cars with large upgraded turbos and cars that have low transmission fluid in the gearbox.

I wouldn't try and do it again. Once the clutches start slipping they can wreck themselves fairly quickly. Best to just get the filters and fluid changed along with fixing any leaks.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:45 am

R.E92 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm Best to just get the filters and fluid changed along with fixing any leaks.
Thanks, this is the direction I'm heading. It's going to be raining and cold all weekend so not sure when I'll get the chance to get it up on jacks, get the undertray off and check for leaks. I wish the filters & Fluid was a DIY, but it seems a very specific process that can have disastrous results if done incorrectly.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:51 pm

Quick update: Managed to get the car on ramps over the weekend and removed the undertrays. There appears to be some 'seepage' on one side of the trans oil pan. I'm hoping this is a symptom of a slow leak that has finally resulted in the fluid level being low enough to cause the overheat code. I'll get it booked in for a filter/fluid change as soon as i can (haven't driven it since the first incident to try to protect the clutches as much as possible). Just have to find an indy who knows the process to get that tricky last 1.5ltrs in (and not just a 'top up' when cold, leaving it still underfilled). Will update thread with progress.

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:36 am

I have had something similar happen to me recently.
The car is tuned. Auto 2.0
Pulling into a country road on the way to work, Sport/Manual mode. I put my foot down :P started to accelerate down the road when the car seemed to suddenly over-rev. The power was cut, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with the gear/cog on the display and a message on screen appeared telling me the car might not start again when the engine was stopped and to drive straight to BMW!
(very very butt clenching message)

I was about 2 minutes from work so I crawled to the office thinking that I would call the AA from there.

When I stopped and put it in park the message changed to something like "restarting the engine might clear the problem".

Turned the car off, counted to 10 (as you do), hit the start button and it started up like nothing had happened and all the lights cleared! I called the garage and booked it in for the next day anyway and then drove it home like it was made of glass after work.
After checking it the garage told me there were no active codes on the car and no sign of any leaks and such.
However... the error code history showed that the gearbox had registered a loss of contact with the engine, the engine showed a gearbox overheat and there was another one that was "basically the EMS going WHERE HAS THE GEARBOX GONE?" !!! All within a fraction of a second of each other.

The guys at the garage couldn't explain it other than 'maybe' a sensor glitch out. (and to have a dig about having it tuned.. they don't like it being tuned...)

I'm back to driving it normally now (but not quite fully trusting it yet). I really hope it was a random one-off.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:43 am

CFSD wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:36 am I have had something similar happen to me recently.
The car is tuned. Auto 2.0
Pulling into a country road on the way to work, Sport/Manual mode. I put my foot down :P started to accelerate down the road when the car seemed to suddenly over-rev. The power was cut, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with the gear/cog on the display and a message on screen appeared telling me the car might not start again when the engine was stopped and to drive straight to BMW!
(very very butt clenching message)

I was about 2 minutes from work so I crawled to the office thinking that I would call the AA from there.

When I stopped and put it in park the message changed to something like "restarting the engine might clear the problem".

Turned the car off, counted to 10 (as you do), hit the start button and it started up like nothing had happened and all the lights cleared! I called the garage and booked it in for the next day anyway and then drove it home like it was made of glass after work.
After checking it the garage told me there were no active codes on the car and no sign of any leaks and such.
However... the error code history showed that the gearbox had registered a loss of contact with the engine, the engine showed a gearbox overheat and there was another one that was "basically the EMS going WHERE HAS THE GEARBOX GONE?" !!! All within a fraction of a second of each other.

The guys at the garage couldn't explain it other than 'maybe' a sensor glitch out. (and to have a dig about having it tuned.. they don't like it being tuned...)

I'm back to driving it normally now (but not quite fully trusting it yet). I really hope it was a random one-off.
What size tyres have you currently got fitted?

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:53 am

Possibly final update on my situation. I got a quote for $3,000 from BMW to do the job so ordered all of the parts including the Pentosin fluid (got 7 litres as I wasn't sure how much may have 'escaped' before throwing the fault code) from FCP Euro. Everything arrived about a week later - not bad from US to NZ with the current freight delays. Long story short, I put it on car ramps, jacked up the back to level (supported with axle stands) and did the job myself after downloading ISTA-D to run the refill process. Wasn't actually that hard but just a pain under the car - really needs a lift or at least those quickjacks to get a bit more access. Extra pain was that the Z4 seems to have a metal panel attached to the heat shrouds next to the transmission that necessitates removing a couple of heatshields so you can remove the metal 'plate' so that you can actually access the fill plug on the side of the trans. Not something that appears to be a thing on the E92's (watched a few videos on how to do this job, none specifically for the Z4, maybe I should have filled that gap of DIY knowledge by recording the process but too late now...).
Car is back up & running and I haven't experienced any issues since (been just under a week). Fingers crossed...

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:36 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:43 am What size tyres have you currently got fitted?
Bridgestone Ptonenza RE050A1 ... 35s on the front and 40s on the rear.